Bought an antique tractor last week, anyone like em?

-
I have my Dad's 1949 John Deere MT that he bought new. I restored it 3 years ago as a surprise for his 86th birthday but I made it so pretty he won't use it now.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

That is my favorite John Deere I love the telescoping wheel coming out of the dash

I also own a row crop 60. But needs to be restored. I learnd to drive tractor on 1939 a row crop 70 that my grandfather bought new and is still in the family. I also own a 1953 70. The thing I hate about the 60 is the 9x32 tires. Hard to find!

I've only owned it about a week and I havent checked tire size...the reason I'm not sure is that the tractor was originally on Steel wheels and they were cut off and rings welded on for rubber.

Man I sure like farming and earthmoving equipment and the pics are great.
If its got wheels, wings, tracks or ta-ta's I'm a fool for it.
Ya guys got some nice stuff.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Mobodyman I bet your dad is tickled that his old tractor looks like new.
Most excellent!!

My family has an Ole 1943 Allis Chalmers Model C and alot of attachments...
AllisChalmers.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. My helper and I worked hard for a week on that tractor, trying to get it done before Dad found out what we were doing. Bodymen really shouldn't work on farm equipment, we get too carried away. We stripped it down, did some bodywork on the hood and grille, epoxy primed everything, and painted it with Dupont Centari acrylic enamel with gloss hardner. Dad made me proud, said it didn't look that good when it was new.
He also has a plow, cultivator, mower, and a wagon, all JD to use on the MT.
When I was a kid he traded 50 bales of hay for an old B JD that you started with the flywheel. He then traded it for a later B with electric start. He finally traded that one in on a 990 David Brown.
I think the little MT will outlast them all, though. It was his first and only tractor for years until he got the first B. He did a tremendous amount of work with it. He had it overhauled in the 60s and it still runs like new today.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

Very cool pics you guys, I have no such equipment, my yard is a whooping
60' by 100'. My son and I both love old tractors, crawlers and dozers. Nice stuff all you guys have there, thanks for sharing some great pics.

74/6, check with a place called TuckerTire.com in Dyersburg, Tennessee. They have tons of tires and can order what they don't have ... and it's all reasonable! They can probably track down those ones you need.

CheapTractorParts.com in Kentucky also has a lot of cool stuff at decent prices (they also have an ebay store).

I was born in Moline, Illinois and went to John Deere Junior High School. Loving these ol' things kinda came with the territory I think.

Keep posting those pics guys! Every one is more beautiful than the last and it never gets old seeing them. Can almost hear that pippity poppity now.

Here's another shot of my '49 Cat 112 Grader the day she was delivered. Even with the jury-rigged fuel system and flat tires she was itching to shove some dirt :)

321314860.jpg

Wow, I am truly impressed with everyones cool equipment.
I now know what I've been missing all my life, a big dirt mover!
Now I've got something else to look for after I migrate back to the motherland.
Thanks for sharing and lets see more!!!
-aloha

You wouldn't beleive how relaxing it is (for me anyway....) to just motor along at 3 mph watching the dirt flow off the blade like water and listen to the rumble of that big 4cyl Diesel or the stack barking on my Farmall when she's under a load.

Almost as cool as a tightly wound up small or big block howling around a road course :)

Yes, I love old tractors. I have a 1949 Ford 8N on which I've done a half-vast resto, but it doesn't look very good because it's a working tractor. Mostly I've just fixed stuff that broke on it. I'm not a hard-core old tractor guy, and I can tell that a lot of you know more about them than I do. I have only a 27-acre parcel, and I use the 8N mostly to clear the dirt roads on the place, keep my long gravel driveway smooth and to disc the star thistle.

It's too bad you guys are too far away. There are a lot of good tractors around here for sale.

Just down the street is an old JD, and a Farmall cub for sale. There's a tractor dealer just out of town, that has quite a few oldies, and even a Porche tractor.

A friend of mine belongs to a tractor club, and has a couple of restored JD's, and 2 more that are sequentialy serial #'d, that he will be restoring.

I always see a lot of the old stuff when I go to my camp in northern Maine. It's all potato country up there, and these were probably bought new, and run through generations on the farm.

I'll try to post some of the tractor graveyard this weekend, Tim.

Reminds me of home had one on the farm for alot of years my dad could make it dance it was a sight fantastic tractor

Been a few years since this great thread circulated. It has so many cool pics and stories it's a shame to keep it hidden.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet some of our newer members have a few additions of their own. :-D

Been a few years since this great thread circulated. It has so many cool pics and stories it's a shame to keep it hidden.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet some of our newer members have a few additions of their own. :-D

Mine are certainly not on the level of some of these. My little Farmall 100, to me is not an "antique" but rather something I USE

Last year, used it to hoist the blower onto the shed roof

24xm4k7.jpg

This year, put the old Meyer plow on it, and !! no snow !!

2ahh6vp.jpg

My favorite Unca Bill, who just passed on, and my little "homebuilt" Cletrac. I bought it in a 'ell of a mess, with a Pintoed 1600 engine "thrown in" and stripped it down to the chassis. I bought a Toyota 20R + 4 speed, so now it has a 3 spd + 4 spd. Tinware is off an old Massey.

14d1p9j.jpg

20adv8j.jpg

"the before:"

sqi934.jpg

2ah5v9l.jpg

168ak5j.jpg

I have always wanted one of the old Chrysler Tractors. I will try and post some pics on here of one.... Just let me find some

Jeff

I had an old Oliver about 10-12 years ago. I don't remember if it was a 60 or 70. I think it was a 60 though. Now I just have my cushman, does that count? It is a 1/2 ton dump truck... I"ll look for a picture of my oliver and scan it in and post it.

Attachments

• CutwoodwithDays92902#1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 197
  • CutwoodwithDays92902#6.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 211
I had an old Oliver about 10-12 years ago. I don't remember if it was a 60 or 70. I think it was a 60 though. Now I just have my cushman, does that count? It is a 1/2 ton dump truck... I"ll look for a picture of my oliver and scan it in and post it.

Just the other day I was reading an old late 30's/ early 40's mechanics magazine, and there was an article on the "new" Cushman truck. I'll try and find the article.

Our mf135 w/ allison chalmers loader. It came with the 95ac property (court sale) that we purchased. Looks like it been around the block and as best as we could tell, sat outside for a number of years and had not been used in a number of years. Never owing a tractor, with the help of some members from here and elsewhere, we were able to check her over, get a battery in it, put some fresh diesel in her and the bad news on her..... she started on the third turn over!!!!!! I could not believe it!!!!! I have a totally new outlook and respect for older tractors (tractors overall) now that I have used her for the first year. The brute strength these old girls have is just amazing. If I was retired, I be trading the Challenger in for a different type of torque and have many of them.
Maybe someday, I can restore her to her glory days.

and yes Leanna, this is a great thread!

Attachments

• IMG_6188 (Copy).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 199
I need to get a pic of the 3 Olivers I have now to post here. As of now I have a Super 66 Row Crop, Standard 77 with loader, 88 Row Crop and also have picked up Oliver tools a 12 ft Spring drag, a 545 4 row Planter, 2 bottom 3 pt plow for the 66, 3 bottom Trailer plow for the 88, Spike drag, 76 12 ft Grain Drill and am still looking for more Oliver equipment to finish a full Oliver farm. Dad worked for the Oliver dealer here in Monroe when he was young and the 66 was his.

I have to say that is a fine looker.:thumbrig:
You sure have a fine collection too.
I was about 12 when I stepped on a brake on a Johnny Popper.
The brake was on and I stepped off the tractor and it melted my thin shoe and burned the bottom of my right foot years ago. It had the compretion releases on it.
I don't know what year the tractor was.:dontknow:
I have a few hours on the smaller farmall you have cultivating.
The oldest tractor I ever drove was out side of grand rapids Mi.
All you had was a hand clutch and started it by spinning a big wheel on the left hand side John D.
I picked apple's and strawberries,cherries ,plums,pears,peaches there every year from age 7 to 16. I remember the roads had numbers and no names there. It was close to Sparta I think and the farms I worked on was Mr Brown and Mr Bear. All big apple farmers.
Do the pistons run up and down on your Oliver or back and forth? Thanks for sharing DERICKS.
They sure brought back some good old memories :love7:

My dad was born not far from Grand Rapids, just south of there in Kalamazoo, lived there until he was 16, then they moved back south. My grandad worked on a blueberry farm there. I havent ever been there, but I have listened to many stories about that place.

1941 Ford 9n and a 1939 Farmall M.

Attachments

• Me and girls ford.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 169
  • me and katelyn farmall.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 165
Wow these are great pic! Worked on dairy farms as a kid work with Farmall super m, h model,JD,case,m/ moline. I goto tractor shows when I can,like to watch the old timers with thier JD's seeing who can idle the slowest.

Moe
44d061a8.jpg

eb612ba1.jpg

My sons 1948, W-6. He still uses it, but plans a restoration on it soon. It was the inspiration for his CD.

His favorite saying is "if it ain't red, keep it in the shed"

Attachments

• 2011 003 (Small).jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 166
  • bjw_enter[1] (Small).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Billys first CD (Small).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 153
-
Back