Bought the 3" Summit exhaust system

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Has anybody used the 3" summit exhaust with the McCandless/Pro Parts headers?
I just bought the system. Haven't even taken it out of the box yet, and it will be a few weeks before I get around to installing it. The system is made for Hooker headers, and I'm running the Pro Parts headers, so there will be a bunch of tweaking I do believe. I'm also going to relocate the 1/2" fuel line and filter, as it runs right where the right side tail pipe needs to go.
Right now the car has 2 1/2 " exhaust that ends before the rear, with Warlock mufflers. The inside of the car is real loud, and the wife gets sick from the smell. I figure this should take care of the smell with the exhaust dumping out the back of the car. Not sure how quiet it will be though. Will the interior be noisy with this setup?

I have their 3" system on my Barracuda with TTI headers. It had to have a lot of tweaking to get it to fit correctly. The mufflers are 2 pass turbo mufflers and they are loud. I bought a set of resonators to help quiet them down. I`ve read that even people who have Hooker headers have quite a time making the system fit. I would definitely rrecommend getting a good muffler shop to install them.

I have their 3" system on my Barracuda with TTI headers. It had to have a lot of tweaking to get it to fit correctly. The mufflers are 2 pass turbo mufflers and they are loud. I bought a set of resonators to help quiet them down. I`ve read that even people who have Hooker headers have quite a time making the system fit. I would definitely rrecommend getting a good muffler shop to install them.

Any pictures of how they run over the rear?
Did you have to shorten the tailpipes to get the mufflers in the recess of the floor board?

I bought the same kit but I had the correct headers for it, NOTHING seem to fit so I ended up mishmashing parts to make it work plus the tail pipes arent even close to being correct

I could never get the pipes to even work, I had shorten one side up so the mufflers would be even. My car has the spring inboard kit so the springs are where the tailpipe would normaly be, so for my app I would have to run the pipes on the outside of the frame rail and thats where im running into issues my only suggestion would be flex pipe over the axle to terminate the connection. But I would much rather hard pipe it.

The exhaust system is finally on thanks to my friend. He came over today and we cut fitted and welded it up, and it sounds great. It's loud, but that is all out the back.

Nice. I was going to comment on the 2-1/2 system I got from Jegs, in which I wouldn't doubt it is from the same place that summit gets there stuff from. The fit was good and the tail pipe needed minor trimming, but I skipped it in favor of tips from headman. (Turn downs.)

I just simple assembled it all up but didn't tighten a thing until a general clearnace was reached everywhere on it. Then as I tightened it up, I did it slowly from front to back going over it a few times. Like torqueing down a cylinder head. Doing the pattern 3 times kind of thing.

It took a little tweak here and there, nothing serious. Though 3 inch is a bit bigger than 2-1/2.

This one didn't fit so well as it is made for Hedman headers and a small block. I'm running the 440 with Pro Part headers, that extend farther back ,and point in bad directions.
Ended up just using short pieces from the front pipes. cut tweaked and welded them to the rear pipes before the mufflers. the first section of the tail pipes out of the mufflers had to be shortened 1 1/2" so the mufflers would fit in.

This one didn't fit so well as it is made for Hedman headers and a small block. I'm running the 440 with Pro Part headers, that extend farther back ,and point in bad directions.
Ended up just using short pieces from the front pipes. cut tweaked and welded them to the rear pipes before the mufflers. the first section of the tail pipes out of the mufflers had to be shortened 1 1/2" so the mufflers would fit in.

I don`t know how I missed your first post on this subject but I`m sorry I did. I`m glad to hear you`ve got the system installed and it`s singing out loud now. It did take a lot of cutting of the tailpipes to get them to transition nicely from the muffler over the axle. I also installed stock styled tips which meant I had to cut quite a bit off the ends of the tailpipes.

Ha ha ha ha screw the next door cranks!

Can't wait to harass the neighborhood today.
Maybe get a burnout video in the driveway, but tires are expensive.

Ahhhhh, that's OK, 30 seconds of smoke won't hurt the tire unless theres that little left. And if so, you shouldn't be driving on them so a 3:00 burntout till they pop is perfect!

LOL ;)

The tires are older BFG street legal drag tires, 325x50x15's that I picked up used but were legal, have been to the strip a few times, and still are for a bit longer. I can't afford another set right now, and not sure if I can even put fuel in it. Being unemployed is really starting to suck. I might just take it for a spin then drop it off the road to save on the insurance.

cool the exhaust worked for you. sucks about the job though. what kind of insurance do you have? the colector car is way cheaper than regular insurance.

I use; americancollectors.com , the Duster & Magnum are insured for $4,000 @ under $120 a year. It's a policy that allows you to drive anywhere at anytime except for work, no mileage restrictions

I use; americancollectors.com , the Duster & Magnum are insured for $4,000 @ under $120 a year. It's a policy that allows you to drive anywhere at anytime except for work, no mileage restrictions

I have the same policy as yours, same company, insured to 30k agreed Value with no mileage restrictions for 220.00 per year.

They wouldn't let me do the Collector car insurance due to the roll cage.
I initially tried to go that route. It would have saved me a lot.

Mo1 The only pictures they asked for were;

1.) A general shot of the car. So I took a picture of the front at an angle to show the side and grill. That's it. It wasn't even a close up.

2.) A picture of the car in the garage as proof I had a garage. They want a lockable garage for safety / theift issues. So they got a rear end shot of the Duster in the garage.\

Go for this!

-
Back