Brake and Reverse lights not working

-

440nika

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 70' Dart Swinger that was tore down to nothing than rebuilt, after the car was all put together I have no brake and reverse lights. I've checked all wiring connections and fuses which leads me to you guys!!!!!!! Could there be a ground somewhere in the harness that I either missed or hooked back up to fresh paint that is not making good contact? I guess I need to know if anyone knows of anything that could just knock out them two lights (brake and reverse) while the turn signals, parking lights and emergency flashers still work. Thanks for helping out Dave!!!!!!!!!!!

using a test light, check for power at the brake light switch. 1 side should be constant hot the other side should light up only when the pedal is pressed.

Sounds like the ground at the tail light housings if both rev and brake are out.

George

yeah fresh paint is a good clue. Fixtures need chassis ground to body.

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the advice but they still won't work!!!! I checked the switch at the pedal (GOOD) and I checked the mounting area where the lights bolt to the bumper and I have no new paint where the mounting screws for the rear tail lights mount the lenses to the bumper. Does anyone know of any wire grounds that are in the rear for the tail lights that I might have missed, I looked but can't find any or any other reason I would have lost both of them lights (Brake and Reverse). Thanks Dave!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't overlook the obvious. Check to make sure you have the correct bulbs in each housing. Verify the bulb number for each function. Use your test light to check for current at each socket contact. If there's no power, then check the tail section harness connector(s) for corroded or damaged contacts. Just follow the harness back to find the connector(s) until you get current.

I may be way off base here, but I seem to remember having a similar problem YEARS ago and it ended up being a burnt connection in the turn signal switch inside of the steering column. I don't have a wiring schematic in front of me but my old memory is that everything routed through the turn switch. Anyone else know if this is the case or is my memory gone...........

Yes the brake lights are routed through the turn signal switch (they share a bulb at the rear).
The reverse lamps are a totally seperate circuit. The switch for those may be on the column near the firewall or at the floor shifter, or on the transmission.

Sounds like the turn signal switch to me, too. The brake light current has to go through the turn signal switch; otherwise when you're braking during a turn, your brake lights would stay on during the turn, overriding the turn signal. If you have juice coming out of the brake light switch, see what you have where it comes out of the turn signal switch. And remember, a high-mounted 3rd brake light's current does not go through the turn signal switch, so if you have on of those, and it is working but neither side signal is, then it is almost certainly the turn signal switch.

Well its been awhile, the last car I wired was when I flew to Texas and completely rewired Chads Duster. There should be a ground wire in the trunk. Check around the bracket that has the trunk latch. Also check the light sockets, I've had to change a few of those too.

-
Back