remytherat

Reaction score
New late model aluminum master, blench bled before installing
New front brake lines
New disc/drum distribution block
New 73+ calipers
Original line to rear
Rear drums

When the pedal is pumped, no pressure gets to the rear brakes. At the same time, the rear bowl of the master (going into the top port on the distribution block) gets pressurized and shoots out a fountain of brake fluid when opened after pumping the brakes.

Any ideas?

I always gravity bleed my brakes before I start pumping them. It sounds like you might have a clogged line though. Maybe crack the line loose at the rear brake hose and see if you have pressure there, then work out from there.

The rear of the master cylinder is for the front brakes. Sounds like your brake push rod is to long and not letting the piston come back all the way. remove the brake light switch. The pedal will come farther back. If this works you will need a shorter brake rod or a spacer for the master. I had seen this already when someone used a e/b body pushrod.

You could also loosen the master nuts and let it push forward to create space for the longer rod for a test.

remove the brake light switch. The pedal will come farther back.
If that's the case you can adjust the brake light switch, the adjusting bolt is accessed from the pass side of the column.

The brake light is mounted to an L bracket that can slide back and forth.

Also if the length of the rod seems to be an issue maybe there are two keepers in the master cyl hole

If that's the case you can adjust the brake light switch, the adjusting bolt is accessed from the pass side of the column.

The brake light is mounted to an L bracket that can slide back and forth.

Also if the length of the rod seems to be an issue maybe there are two keepers in the master cyl hole
I mentioned this so he can see if the brake switch is holding it from returning. This would not be the proper fix but a way to see if the master cylinder push rod is to long. There are different lengths. Maybe his is to long

100_0022.JPG

Pushrod is not too long, brake pedal goes up as far as it wants. I rebled the master, and now I’m getting a little fluid to the rears but mostly just air. Hmm. All the fittings are tight as I could get them

I mentioned this so he can see if the brake switch is holding it from returning. This would not be the proper fix but a way to see if the master cylinder push rod is to long. There are different lengths. Maybe his is to long
We are on the same page. :)

Make sure your front calipers are on the correct sides with bleeders on the top .
Ask how I know this ? Lol
And it was on a 73 340 4sp Dart Sport .

Calipers are correctly mounted
I've never had satisfactory results from "bench bleeding" my master. I always mount it in the car and use clear tubes connected to metal lines that let me see the bubbles coming out to ensure the entire unit was properly bled.

Set the emergency on, so the shoe movement doesn't keep squirting fluid back at you everytime the springs retract the brake shoes.

-
Back