Brake Booster Question

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
I'm upgrading my front brakes with parts pulled from a 75 Dart. Question, when sourcing a power booster, am I getting one for a 75 Dart or a 69 Barracuda?

Also, where is the best place to buy one?

I'm not sure about the 73-6 boosters,but the 72 and under used 2 different diaphrams inside. The drum booster is a single and the disc is a dual diaphram. The only way to tell which it is is by taking it apart which isn't hard. I have attached a pic of the dual diaphram booster inards.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 264
Anything new or rebuilt would be expensive, unless you luck out like me. I found a booster for my 65 Newport at $70 clearance price on rockauto. Best deal new is a $170 A-body setup on ebay that uses a GM booster (several posts here). You can find much cheaper used, but once the rubber in the diaphragm fails you pay $$$ to rebuild. I hope you know you need more that just a booster, you need stand-off brackets w/ lever and the pedal rod, as shown above. Perhaps use the opportunity to change to a safer dual reservoir setup, like I did on my 3 Mopars. On my 65 Dart, I used A-body stand-off brackets (from 74 Dart), but a booster/MC from a 95-99 Breeze. Those will be easy to replace. The same booster is on Intrepids, and junkyards are full of cloud cars and LH's.

Pac,I would go with the matching booster,to the calipers. M.C,too.

Thanks Abody.
I remember reading Bruce's 'Disc Conversion 101' where he said after the conversion, request parts for the model of the donor brakes, wasn't sure if that applied to the booster.

Pac,I would go with the matching booster,to the calipers. M.C,too.

Your welcome,and I would. The lady in your life, wants do drive ,your vintage Mopar,enough said.

You may need the pedal to booster rod also. I would try to buy all these parts used, except for the hydrolic parts of course. Then if the booster fails... that can happen to any of of them.

-
Back