Brake booster replacement

-

BAucoin

72 Ply Scamp, 79 LRT
Reaction score
Need some help, my son and I are working on his 72 scamp, 318 auto. Reading the threads tells me the brake booster is bad on his car (hard pedal/not much braking/air escaping) and looking at the booster we should be able to take the four bolts off the mount under the hood and disconnect the pedal in the same area and then take the master cylinder off and put the new booster on. Am I missing something?? Also, any idea where to get the booster, plus would you recommend replacing the master cylinder also?? Thanks for the help.

Cant speak for how to replace your booster. But in my opinion I'd ditch it, go w/a conversion to manual discs....but as far as your master cyl. goes. Yes, I'd replace it with a new aluminum unit. I bought one from Rick Ehrenberg based on an ad on Moparts. He will sell you one cheaper than a retailer and it's a nice improvement even on my manual drum Dart. Also, get his larger 7/8th inch rear wheel cylinders while your at it. Good cheap upgrade from stock... I got both the master cyl, and RWCI's for $111. Plus he gives you the adapter plate and pushrod retainer...all for cheaper than a mast. cyl is if you order from a retailer!

Check Moparts.com for sale ads or www.richardehrenberg.com for his ebay auction site.

Good luck!

I would try some salvage yards first for the booster, thats where I found mine. I replaced the master cylinder rather than trying to clean the old one I got with the booster. I paid $25 for a reman unit at the local auto parts store. The hardest part of the job was taking that bolt out that connects the pedal to the push rod-not much room to work under there. The four nuts on the firewall were simple.

I just took one out on a 75 Dart, it's a little tight in there but there's not much to it. Four bolts like you mentioned, obviously your brake lines and the linkage is held in there with a bolt with a cotter pin, pull the pin and bolt out and it slides right out. It's actually one of the easier things you can remove. I would replace the master cylinder too.

71Dartguy, is there any junkyard up your way that still has older vehicles? The ones around here only keep 9o's and newer. Thanks for everyones help.

tiip... change the order of your proceedure a little .
Seperate the master cylinder from the booster first and tie it out of your way without opening or kinking the fluid lines. No need to go into the hydrolics to change the booster.
I'd forget seeking a good one in a parts yard.

Where's all the guys with the re-manufactured master cyl. horror stories...lol? I agree, I wouldnt go hunting in the parts yard either. I'd go alluminum, unless your worried about keeping an OEM look.

Replaced mine with a remanufactured brake booster that came with a master cylinder on it. Bought it from a local auto parts store when I started this project about 10 years ago.

Bob

Where did you order it from ? I've been striking out left and right trying to find one for my 70 Duster.

Kenny

I thought I was getting one from auto parts warehouse, but a week and a half later I had to call them and they said it was on back order. Funny thing is they still show it available on there web site??? Any way thanks to 71DARTGUY I was able to get a used one that is working perfect. My son got to show his car at the Garletts show this past weekend. Good luck on finding one...

I thought I was getting one from auto parts warehouse, but a week and a half later I had to call them and they said it was on back order. Funny thing is they still show it available on there web site??? Any way thanks to 71DARTGUY I was able to get a used one that is working perfect. My son got to show his car at the Garletts show this past weekend. Good luck on finding one...

Same thing happened to me from the same place ... When I finally got hold of someone they said they "tried" to email me that it was back ordered but the email wasn't valid... Funny they sent me a confirmation that they had accepted my $$$ ....

I wound up getting one through JEGS ... It's on this other thread ...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=27049

-
Back