brake hardware from 7.25 to 8.75

-

TimDart

Reaction score
Guys, I've been offered an 8.75 bare axle and shafts. Will my existing brake hardware from the existing 7.25 axel swap onto the 8.75?

I think it just depends on whether you have 9" or 10" brakes on either rear, and if you're upgrading from 9" to 10". I can see the hardware being different then. I could be wrong though.

Just replaced the brake shoes and they were 10 x 1 & 3/4" if that helps.

I did the swap from 9" to 10" brakes and the parking cables were a different length and had to be replaced.

Yeah the 7.25 10" brakes will work, I used the 8.75 backing plates and most of the 7.25 springs & stuff. The brake hardware package I picked up(raybestos probably) didn't have every spring I needed, so had to reuse a 8.75 brake spring or two.
Assuming all 4" bolt pattern

Thanks, just found out that the bolt pattern is 4.5".
might leave it as this is just a mild 318 car.

Are they small bolt pattern or large?

I just read this on another site:

"All Mopar rear drum brakes interchange to all axle housings, so long as these rules are followed: (1) small bolt pattern drums go on small bolt pattern axles (i.e. 10x1.75" drums can only be used with 5x4" bolt pattern axles), (2) large bolt pattern drums go on large bolt pattern axles, (i.e. any 10" or 11" drum that came on a 5x4.5" bolt pattern axle can be used with a 5x4.5" bolt pattern axle), (3) brake assemblies are swapped as full assemblies (this means a 10x1.75" drum is used with a 10x1.75" brake backing plate, and 10x2.5" drum is used with a 10x2.5" brake backing plate).

quote from another member

I swapped a b-body 8-3/4 into a 71 duster a few years ago. I had an extra 7-1/4 rear from a 75 dart with 10" drums and nearly new brakes, so I just unbolted the backing plates with all brake components still attached and bolted them onto the 8-3/4 rear. Drums fit fine as well. So, yes it will work, or at least it worked in my case.

If both the 7 1/4 and 8 3/4 rears have the 10 X 1 3/4" brakes, everything will interchange except for the backing plates. The 7 1/4 has a 4 hole plate....the 8 3/4" has 5 holes.

-
Back