Brake Issues (74 Dodge Dart)

-

LJS30

Reaction score
My brakes were somewhat soft and twitchy so I just got done bleeding them. They work a little better, however I still have issues which can best be described like this. My pedal is soft then suddenly catches my brakes tightly. What could be the issue guys? Should I bleed my master cylinder?

Is this a power brake car? sounds like a booster issue.

Is this a new problem? what change between when it worked vs. now?

More info needed.

Is this a power brake car? sounds like a booster issue.

Is this a new problem? what change between when it worked vs. now?

More info needed.

Yup I put in a new booster and reservoir about a year ago and it worked okay. Well it sat since then, was in the paint shop, so now it's giving me issues.

Feels like a lot of air in the system? Pump it a few times, pedal comes up, then bleeds off again?

how old is the master cylinder?
if you press lightly and slowly on the brake pedal does it continue to move?
if you press quickly and firmly on the pedal does it feel normal?
if so your master cylinder is at fault

how old is the master cylinder?
if you press lightly and slowly on the brake pedal does it continue to move?
if you press quickly and firmly on the pedal does it feel normal?
if so your master cylinder is at fault

I purchased the booster and master cylinder from The Paddock over a year ago. When I press slowly it continues to move and at speed it's soft then catches suddenly.

Pull the vacuum hose off, and plug it. Push the pedal for 30 secs, if it goes to the floor, M/C. If not, put a vacuum pump/bleeder (harbor freight, maybe $ 12) on the booster and draw it down, and see if it is leaking. If it is, return it.

The idea that if you pump it quick and it holds then bleeds off sounds like the master to me.

bad master cylinder will feel like its slipping than catch
air in system will feel like there is a spring in the pedal

Should I bleed the the cylinder itself? Or just throw it out and grab another?

It doesn't hurt to try to bleed it first. From the way you're describing it, though, it's pushed past the cups and you're going to need another master.

It doesn't hurt to try to bleed it first. From the way you're describing it, though, it's pushed past the cups and you're going to need another master.

Well I bench bled the master cylinder now I have no brakes at all!!!! Man don't you guys hate it when you make a problem worse?

-
Back