brake light out- turn signal switch?

-

evans68cuda

Reaction score
Hi guys, decided to finally fix the brake light issue on my 68 Barracuda. All of the exterior lights work except for the driver side brake light and the rear flashers. I have another column from a 68 A body and swapped the turn signal switch in to see if that was the issue. With the other column in, the driver side brake light works, but not the passenger side. SO is it safe to say it is the turn signal switch and buy a new one? Also i don't want a crappy one, and know year one is supposed to have good products, so does anyone have any experience with this one? 1966-74 A B E-Body Turn Signal Switch 1967 1969 A Body

Not clear to me.........do the turn signals both work and just not one side brake? Then TS switch

but if either or both sides do not work with either brake or turn signal, then it could be a connector/ harness/ socket/ bulb problem as well.

I'd start with a test lamp at the left kick panel connector

Normally the left side brake light is out, but when I connect an old TS switch that I have lying around, all of the lights work except for the right side brake light.

That is starting to sound like BOTH switches are bad but check right at the switch connector. If your 68 uses the same connector as my 67, I don't think much of them. Time for a test light..........IE are you losing it right out of the switch, or the kick panel connector, or harness problem or what

With turn signal switch in its centered neutral position... Brake lamp current goes in on white wire and should come out on 2 wires to left and right rear fixtures. A failed switch can drop the left, the right, or both. Some will replace the cancel cam only which is like replacing half the switch. It's a hit or miss effort. The highest quality complete new switch comes from Daniel Stern Lighting.

it has to be the ts switch, I have 0 voltage at the wire going to the left brake light but I have voltage at the right side when applying the brakes.

sounds like you problem is not only in the switch but somewhere else in the wiring. I would pay attention to the grounding issues

it has to be the ts switch, I have 0 voltage at the wire going to the left brake light but I have voltage at the right side when applying the brakes.
The switch does move left or right wire connection from brake circuit to turn circuit when moved from centered. If the switch was centered, you are correct in diagnosis.

I just dont see how it could be a grounding issue if all of the lights work except for the brake light. Im thinking the TS switch is the culprit, and yes RedFish, the cam was centered. I checked for voltage right out of the column connection

I bought the year one ts switch on sale for $30 some dollars. It seemed to be good quality. It has been in my car for a few months now with no issues.

Thank you, I think I will try that one out. and by the way nice car! Getting my car painted real soon here and red was a strong consideration for it.

I bought the year one switch, installed today and it doesn't work. I went from havin brake lights only, to nothing after installation. I fear that I'm going to have to take the switch apart and tweak the "contact wires" until they are properly alligned. F'kin maddening!

It’s kind of easy to get it out of alignment when installing it. It is kind of fragile till it is installed. Double check the wiring too.

-
Back