Brake line flaring tool that actually double flares steel line?

-
The cheapest flaring tool HF sells will make perfect double flares for a long time as long as you lubricate all of the crush points every use. Most of the time, failure to make good flares isn't the tool.
Lol, I bought the cheapest one I could find, did a few practice flares and figured it out. Built some brake lines and the tool is ready to go again. I'm real happy with it. Tightening down properly and some lubrication made things go smoothly.

Here's another vote for MAC, mine does great flares as long as the goon operating it doesn't botch it up.

did
A friend is in the process of repairing sections of brake line. His flaring tool works great with the copper tubing but is useless when trying to flare the OEM steel sections. So i'm looking for recommendations on a tool that will double flare steel lines. Thanks!
didn`t bother to read all these posts ,I bought mine from Jegs , yrs ago , works perfectly...

The steel tube is probably slipping in the jaws. Try replacing the wing nuts with hex nuts so you can tighten with a box wrench. Chuck the flare tool in a vise for better control. Tighten the nut closest to the tube first since the one further away has more leverage. "Should work". BTW, if you ever need to make a bubble-flare, as on most cars ~2000+, you can use a normal dbl-flare tool (youtubes). Later "metric" tubing is commonly still 3/16" (4.75 mm), only the tube nuts vary (metric thread). For the same tubing size, tube nuts come in various thread sizes, both SAE and metric. Sometimes, that is so you don't mix up connections, like at a Master Cylinder.

Imperial Eastman makes several sets.
Eastwood used to carry them, but like a lot of things, got themselves a house branded version.

1690075973559.png

1690076156563.png

I have never made a bad flare with this tool, they have all came out perfect. I don't think it works with stainless though. They appear out of stock, but Amazon has many of the same style.

[/URL]

I also use this to clean up and square the ends before I flare them.

[/URL]
There's the trick to making good flares. Deburring the end before you flare it and using some lube. Don't buy a cheapo flaring tool as it will just cause you problems.

Post #9 by KernDog....these work awesome. You can find it cheaper than eastwood, lots of them for sale with various different branding but its the same exact kit. The only downfall is that its near impossible to use on the vehicle. The best ones are the little hand pump hydraulic with dies.
Clicky Link
I have the one KernDog mentions (Mines not from Eastwood) and the only downfall I found is that the dies are 1" wide, so you cannot put a flare on a tight bend. I wish the dies were half inch wide. Otherwise it is a great tool.

I've tried the cheap ones. Not worth it even if they pay me to take it. I have the master cool one mentioned a couple of posts ago plus a few more tool truck branded ones

-
Back