Brake parts

-

Crank It Up!!!

Reaction score
Now being new here and not searching this entire site, I have a question for yall about doing a disc brake conversion. ......... Why is everybody buying old used rusty brake rotors and calipers to do a conversion when you can still git um new or rebuilt at your local auto parts??? Seems like all you need as far as used parts would be the control arms, spindles and the dust or backing plates. Just being curious, I called and ask for rotors and calipers for a 75 Duster. No problem. Said they could have um there in one or two days. Yeah, thier aftermarket but does that really matter? Your already not gonna have an all original car by converting its brakes in the first place. The used rotors out there that people are offering for sale as a conversion at top dollar I might add, have most likely already been replaced and are aftermarkets and rebuilds as well.

???????? Robert ?????????

I did a conversion on mine and bought everything new that I could.

maybe they want all the extra old parts to help verify they are getting the right stuff? *shrugs*

You might call the parts store back and price bearings, cotter pins, grease caps. I would buy rebuilt calipers but I might need cores for exchange too.
Folks buy used to save money.

I'm well experienced in trying to save money. Been buyin used parts for cars tryin to save a few bucks all my life. I also understand what yall say about needing cores. What I dont understand is paying top dollar just because the parts are listed to be a conversion and then still have to go buy a rebuild with the core you just bought ......... for top dollar. I still think that by the time you pay what some of these guys want for thier used parts, have um shipped, git um machined and buy a rebuilt caliper, you could have just gone down and bought all new ****. Dont need a core for new.

Orielly Auto Parts

Rotor, house brand $35.99 // Wagner $52.99 each
Caliper, rebuilt $51.99 + $5.00 core each / lifetime warrenty / comes with pads
Bearings, inner $5.99 outer $3.69 // or inner $8.49 outer $6.49 each
Dust caps, $3.59 each
Seals, $1.49 ea

Going with the premium brand prices you've got ........

$52.99+56.99+8.49+6.49+3.59+1.49= $130.04 per side. All NEW other than the rebuilt caliper.

On the house brands, $107.74 per side.

All I'm gittin at is that I havent seen a used rusty set on ebay or anywhere else for much less than that. Again you still have to machine tha rotors (at $15.00 each) and buy tha rebuilt calipers. Dont know about yall, but I'd be buyin new bearings for those used rotors anyway. Sorry guys but I just dont see the savings. Unless you can git the whole set shipped ready to bolt on for under $200 bucks, you might as well have just driven down the street to your local auto parts store where by tha way you'll git either a one year or lifetime warrenty on everything. No I dont work for a parts store although it probobly sounds like I'm advertizing. Sometimes people just dont put pen to paper and end up spending more and getting less. Just trying to do my little part to help.

L8R!!!

I think most guys just looking for the spindles, and upper control arms used, and calipers for core, When I did my LBP disc upgarde on the 71 scamp, I used all new parts where needed, Bearings, rotors, ect, and exchange calipers.

I agree, spindles, control arms and the caliper cores. In my case with the 4 piston K-H calipers, the cores saved me 200 dollars.

I've read where guys have converted to front disc but are still running non-power brakes. Why? Will the booster not fit with a small block V-8? (360)

I've read where guys have converted to front disc but are still running non-power brakes. Why? Will the booster not fit with a small block V-8? (360)

yeah it will fit, mabe not enough engine vacum, my guess is that the power booster is not really neaded (a bodys are not very heavy cars) and it makes more clutter in the engine compartment

yeah it will fit, mabe not enough engine vacum, my guess is that the power booster is not really neaded (a bodys are not very heavy cars) and it makes more clutter in the engine compartment
I can see where it might git in the way. Guess I've just gottin spoiled to having power brakes in everything. Your probobly right about not really needin um. I guess it depends on how you drive. Reckon I'll be puttin power in mine. :burnout: LOL!!!

Are you serious?

1970 Plymouth Duster 340 came from the factory with standard equipment manual disc brakes.

On an A body, there really is no need for power brakes.

A good manual disc setup stops an A body very well.
Semi-metallic pads, properly functioning calipers and the rest of the setup in good working order, and you have an excellent braking car.

Pedal effort will be determined by the bore size of the master cylinder.

But power brakes with a vacuum booster are just added weight and complication on a 3,000 - 3,200 lb. A body. Just another thing to worry about when you run a decent cam that may not bring enough vacuum for the power brake booster.

Are you serious?

1970 Plymouth Duster 340 came from the factory with standard equipment manual disc brakes.

On an A body, there really is no need for power brakes.

A good manual disc setup stops an A body very well.
Semi-metallic pads, properly functioning calipers and the rest of the setup in good working order, and you have an excellent braking car.

Pedal effort will be determined by the bore size of the master cylinder.

But power brakes with a vacuum booster are just added weight and complication on a 3,000 - 3,200 lb. A body. Just another thing to worry about when you run a decent cam that may not bring enough vacuum for the power brake booster.
All right All right, I git tha pic. LOL!!! I'm just messin with ya. I would rather not have a big ole ugly booster under tha hood anyway. I just didnt want to have to use both feet to git tha damn thing to stop like the old drums back in tha day.

Thanks. Makes me feel better knowing that I wont have to put it in a ditch to keep from runnin over a damn squirel. LMAO!!!

L8R.

Robert

-
Back