Brake problem!!

-

Viceroy125

Reaction score
Ok! Here's my problem I'm running a '73 Plymouth Duster with stock drums, and it's been sitting for about 18 years and and towed it to my shop. Before I towed it I made sure the brakes work which they didn't and so I went through and bleeded them, I did this spring of 2011. Today I had it running and took it for a test drive, I noticed that when I hit the brakes only one of the drums would work I'd then attempted to pump the brakes on all of the drums worked! Why does it do this, what could be the problem, and finally what do I need to do to fix this from happening again??

Holy water works miricles no doubt but it isn't a substitute for brake fluid.
I wouldn't trust brakes that have sit idle for such a long time.

I'd say rust would be partly responsible. Clean & Lube everything. Then check wheel cylinders for leaks and replace them if needed. Adjust everything up real well. Get rid of any questionable brake lines(Rusty ones). Make sure your fluid is nice & Full. Bleed the whole system. Good luck & Be safe.

Well thanks for everything! I've decided to replace the slave valves, the shoes, and master cylinder and that should do the trick!

make sure you get all the old brake fluid out of the system and replace it with fresh fluid as it too breaks down and such over time like engine oil.

Thanks doba daddy for the info, I'm not to worried about the brake fluid since its branding spanking new do to the cause it didn't have any brake fluid when I first received it!!

-
Back