Brake Prop Valve

-
Pic

04DD2F04-80E5-44BC-9B16-5A40ED65CCE6.jpeg

My car has the BB heat shield over the distribution valve and also the auto/starter stone shield on the bottom of the frame rail just below the distribution valve. For correctness and use of these parts the 2 piece original design was required. If this does not matter then the later version is just fine.

The one installed on the brown Duster first picture is a 74 style on a 71 with 4 piston kelsey hayes

Second picture the one on the right is 70-72 4 piston kelsey hayes. On the left is single 73 single piston

The last picture is the original on my orange 71. I installed 73 LBP brakes worked great. The later valve's have a notch/ring around the top nut. easy way to tell them apart.See the pictures. They work the same . The valve you have is the later upgraded one.

This site attached is off line but they have detailed info and rebuild kits. I heve the info printed out if you want to take your apart and clean it I can scan them and post them. Use a 1970 line kit. make sure you order for the correct wheel base. Duster,Demon, Barracuda 108. Swinger and Scamp 111. There is a reason they did away with the early two piece valve. I am not going to get into that do a search . The valve you have is the best one you can use.

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/mopar-seal-kit-2

DSCN1047.JPG

DSCN1700.JPG

DSCN1701.JPG

DSCN1702.JPG

DSCN1703.JPG

DSCN1718.JPG

FWIW, if you move your mounting holes up 3/4" in the frame rail, you can still use your metal heat shield. The hole on the left is just clearance for the tang, and the one on the right should be tapped to 5/16-18 as shown.

7.jpg

8.jpg

There's some good summaries of the valves in the master tech series.
However the level of detail for the visual cues oldmanmopar posted above is superior.

One possible source of confusion is terminology:
Distribution block in Chrysler books is generally called the safety switch. (Because after '66 it includes the brake failure switch)
The hold off valve is commonly used by people here when refering to the proportioning valve.
Many mechanics and IIRC some Chrysler materials use hold off valve for the metering valve. Metering valves are for the front brakes and were not on any factory A-body AFAIK.
In Chrysler master tech books, fixed calipers includes the 4-piston Keley Hayes for a-bodies.

1967 Chrysler Imperial Dual Hydraulic Brake System from the Master Technicians Service Conference Session 232

1970 Imperial & Chrysler Brake Hydraulics Facts Reference Book (Session 274)
1970 Brake Hydraulics from The Master Technician Service Conference Series (Session 274)

1972 Imperial and Chrysler Disc Brake Service Roundup (Session 293) from the Master Technician Service Conference Series
1972 Disc Brake Service Roundup from The Master Technician Service Conference Series (Session 293)

I have a 360 going in. so I'm good there. And I'll just keep the manuals.
Thanks Again Guys
I've found surface finish of the metal and lining (for both the pads and the shoes) has noticible impact on the braking effort. You should be fine but may need to try some different materials.

-
Back