brake shoe source

-

csx452

Reaction score
Does anyone know of someone who has the brake shoes for a 72 Dart with the correct holes? Everything I've found locally has the wrong holes in them and they don't mount properly.
Thanks,
Frank

Post a photo of the shoes you have and holes you are talking about. As far as I know, all drum shoes are the standard Bendix design, used on most cars. The only kink I recall is that you often need to press in a short stud (that comes in the box) as a pivot for the self-adjuster if using the later "improved" adjuster (has a spring on the cable). You can find many photos here and in the factory manual.

Does anyone know of someone who has the brake shoes for a 72 Dart with the correct holes? Everything I've found locally has the wrong holes in them and they don't mount properly.
Thanks,
Frank

What rear, 7 1/4? That's odd, that's a pretty common shoe.

What part stores are you looking at? You might need to go to a store that has knowledgeable counter persons.

Look on your original shoes for the FMSI number. Usually stamped on the steel somewhere.

Sometimes the parts suppliers substitute alternate frames/backing plates that aren't really right. Sometimes they will work, sometimes they won't. Sometimes, if they are for a later setup and the backing plate hadn't changed, you "just" need to switch to the later hardware.

Off the top of my head '69 and up 10x1.75" rear shoes are FMS 331 and the wider 10" shoes from a few years later are 333. But don't rely on my memory.

Worst case is hunt on-line for the right FMS number or get yours relined by a place like Rochester Brake & Clutch or Porterfield. A bonus is they can arc them to your drums.

It's a 7 1/4 rear now but I'll be installing an 8 3/4. I had the trouble when I had my 68 GT. I believe it had something to do with the parking brake but I'm not sure. It's been a while. A friend who has a garage said he thought the hardware change would fix the problem. I hope so.
Thanks for all the responses.
Frank

not sure why you are having issues,all parts are are at napa,in stock

-
Back