Brake Shoes sitting wrong

-

Cudakid2967

Reaction score
Y'all have any ideas on what could cause the brake shoe to sit off like this? Causing brakes to excessively drag and heating them up and just isn't right. Not quite sure why they're sitting like that tho, old shoes seemed to sit same way.

PXL_20221105_191510741.jpg

Make sure the parking brake cables are free and not frozen also posible the wheel cylinder pistons are frozen in the bore.

I would check the e brake arm and make sure it's at rest, check the cross bar make sure it's right, but to be honest not sitting tight like what is shown is common when replacing shoes. Does it compress to the pin when you press the shoes together?.

Maybe they are adjusted too tight.

I would check the e brake arm and make sure it's at rest, check the cross bar make sure it's right, but to be honest not sitting tight like what is shown is common when replacing shoes. Does it compress to the pin when you press the shoes together?.
That's the weird part, it won't compress onto the pin whatever try to do, kinda like it's hitting something but can't seem to see anything for it to be hitting. Probably going to pull it all apart and see iff anything visible that'd be stopping it from resting

That's the weird part, it won't compress onto the pin whatever try to do

Have you tried pulling the shoe slightly toward you when trying? In other words, toward you a little then press toward pin.

Double check that bar that is under the wheel cylinder. Double double check that your E brake cable has enough slack, if it's even a little too tight you'll be fighting losing battle. When I switched rear ends in my Dart I had the same problem, only worse. I loosened up the adjuster under the floor pan and they slipped right in, then readjusted the cable. I was able to get one side together, but the opposite side wasn't having any of it until I loosened things up.

Just a few things to double check.

As old as these girls are, it would be INCREDIBLY easy that you have a wrong part, such as incorrect wheel cylinder, wrong cylinder pin, etc. Look at the other side.....................

Also it might be there is rust, etc, in the cylinder that is keeping one or both pistons from returning

Have you tried pulling the shoe slightly toward you when trying? In other words, toward you a little then press toward pin.

Double check that bar that is under the wheel cylinder. Double double check that your E brake cable has enough slack, if it's even a little too tight you'll be fighting losing battle. When I switched rear ends in my Dart I had the same problem, only worse. I loosened up the adjuster under the floor pan and they slipped right in, then readjusted the cable. I was able to get one side together, but the opposite side wasn't having any of it until I loosened things up.

Tried pul

Tried pulling around didn't do much, pulled the parking bar out and it still sitting off, wonder if cylinder or something is wrong like 67 dart is saying

Looks like it actually is something going on with the wheel cylinder, pulled it all out and just placed the shoe in and it hits the cylinder and doesn't let it go all the way to the pin

It is the wheel cyl, you can see that in post #1. Look closely at the shape of the brake shoe, where the extension goes into the wheel cyl. The left side is in further than the rt side. Maybe the wheel cyl pistons are too long.

The shoe is likely just hung up on the backing plate. Get a large flat blade screwdriver and pry that shoe away from the backing plate. I bet it snaps into position.

That return spring looks wrong. It's too long and not applying tension, even though the shoe isn't seated.
1668066172067.png

1668066247096.png

Remember, just because you found it that way, doesn't mean someone else didn't mess it up. I'm no drum brake expert (far from it) but I remember 'em having only one of those springs on the one side, and the first pic is more like what I remember.

you have 2 of the left hand spring... thats looks wrong
do you have 2 springs the same on the other side or 2 springs that match each other but are different from this side? the kits comes with 4 springs 2 different pairs .

and if the last set of shoes wore a groove in the back plate you need to dress any hard edge out and put a smear of copper slip on the rasied section where the shoe edge rubs the plate.

those springs that pull the shoes in towards the cylinder are usually so strong that you have to use the type of puller normally associated with trampoline assembly... (very handy) its a T handled hook.

OR you have a 10 inch drum emergency brake strut between the shoes and you have 9 inch brakes
or it has been bent and has hung up at the U section that fits round the shoe

It looks like the front spring is either wrong, or, doesn't have enough tension on it to return the shoe all the way in. As Bad Sport mentioned, crack the bleeder screw to see if there is any residual pressure in the system preventing the piston from seating. It may be you have a master cylinder and/or push rod clearance problem not allowing the fluid to return to the reservoir.

OP
You know about primary and secondary shoes right?
The shoes with the longer pads on them, go to the rear of the car.
Make sure the parking cable comes all the way out of it's sheath; you may have to back off the cable adjuster. When properly installed, properly adjusted, and the shoes tight to the anchor pin, the correctly oriented strut will be slightly loose, only the anti-rattle spring giving the illusion of it being tight..
If you install the strut wrong, the anti-rattle spring will bind up.

-
Back