Brake switch (bracket) placement on pedal and frame ??

-

dzpups

Reaction score
1970 Plymouth Duster Brake switch (bracket) placement on pedal and frame ??
I think I'm saying this right... So I just noticed that the bracket holding the brake switch is dangling loosely from the frame. Slides back and forth and I'm having a hard time understanding where it exactly goes on the brake pedal rod. Infront in back ?? and how it stays in place does anybody have a photo diagram etc. I saw another thread on here but the pictures that were posted I believe were from a barracuda?? But it sure didn't look the same as mine. Help help please help .. guess I've been driving around with it for a while lucky a nice police officer informed me without a ticket...pheeew. 1970 Plymouth Duster

Welcome from Canada.
Here's how it is oriented to the pedal. Follow the bracket and you'll be able to figure out where it bolts on your car. Sorry, the best I got :)

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

P.S. Found this on one of the FABO posts from the past.

1688000014625.png

Last edited:
Here is another view
This is sort of what you see looking up from underneath.

D is drivers side
P is passanger side
The bottom of the photo is forward
The green dot is the adjusting bolt
The blue dot is this particular bracket has been bent (it should be straight) the switch should be centered on the brake pedal arm

The adjusting bolt head is accessed from the passanger side.

There is a tang that goes through a slot in the pedal support bracket. Just up from the blue dot.

Screenshot_20230629-051200.png

My two cents :
I got a problem with the pink wire which was too much loose and easily disconnected from the brake switch.
It's really a hassle to reach this brake switch with the steering column in place and to reconnect the wire... No room for the fingers

Here is another view
This is sort of what you see looking up from underneath.

D is drivers side
P is passanger side
The bottom of the photo is forward
The green dot is the adjusting bolt
The blue dot is this particular bracket has been bent (it should be straight) the switch should be centered on the brake pedal arm

The adjusting bolt head is accessed from the passanger side.

There is a tang that goes through a slot in the pedal support bracket. Just up from the blue dot.

View attachment 1716108252
also note it's bent and would never work as intended

These days, I noticed that my stop lights only worked when the pedal was depressed all way down.
I had a look at the electrical switch and it seems that it's not adjustable
So, with a plier, I slightly bent the switch bracket toward me and now, the brake lights work as soon as I touch the pedal.

These days, I noticed that my stop lights only worked when the pedal was depressed all way down.
I had a look at the electrical switch and it seems that it's not adjustable
So, with a plier, I slightly bent the switch bracket toward me and now, the brake lights work as soon as I touch the pedal
See post 4.

The switch mounts an "L" bracket that slides in a slot.

Super easy to adjust. The bolt head is accessible from the passenger side of the column.

-
Back