Brake Switch Wiring

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
First off the car is 1976 Duster. It’s been rewired using an American Autowire power plus 20 kit. I’m finishing up going over electrical and found I just forgot to wire the brake switch. I have 2 wires, one input and one output.

Which is which on the 73-76 Duster brake switch? Picture for reference....

Riddler

82A7537C-6C9A-43B3-9D63-28F41A66E50A.jpeg

Doesn't matter........it's a switch. The switch must receive "always hot" fused power from a source and the second terminal goes to the appropriate terminal of the column turn signal switch

It doesn't matter which wire goes where until the switch flies apart ( as if chit happens ).
You would want the hot wire to stay put.

All correct. Mostly doesn't matter, but why not connect it like the factory wiring schematic? (search for links here for free download). They generally show the brake switch pictorially, so just match the colors shown.

All correct. Mostly doesn't matter, but why not connect it like the factory wiring schematic? (search for links here for free download). They generally show the brake switch pictorially, so just match the colors shown.

That's what I typically do but could not understand the schematic as the factory service manual doesn't make mention of where the white or red connector's on the factory harness go. I guess I got fooled about positive and negative hookup and the fact it's a switch so it's only ground open vs closed.

For anyone searching this in the future, I put the input closer to the firewall and output towards the driver. It works perfectly with no issues.

Wish I could say the same for some of my other circuits.

Riddler

could not understand the schematic as the factory service manual doesn't make mention of where the white or red connector's on the factory harness go.

Sure it does but I'll admit those newer diagrams are a pain. If you look further on past the schematics, there are diagrams showing the layout and location of the connectors. Look at your diagram showing the switch hookup. It shows the white wire going to "CI-19" at the hazard / turn (column) switch. That is "connector, interior 19"

-
Back