Brakes for the Missile-need advice

-

blue missile

Reaction score
I have ordered a tubular front end from Denny which uses Mustang II spindles. The question here is whether I need 12" discs or will 11" do.
The 11" solution is easy and relatively inexpensive, the 12" route is more complicated. I can only find 12" "Drag" brakes from wilwood, but they are .81" brakes and look substantial.
Im up for tech advice here.
Thanks for your help
Andrew

I dont know, it had 5x4 SBP drums on the front. The 11" ones Im talking about are Wilwood 4 piston slotted and drilled discs. This is why Ive asked for advice.
Andrew

I need help from the protouring /autocross crowd here. This will be a 600HP build and I dont know if the 11"s will be good enough.
Andrew

Be careful with the spindles you choose, I went with the Wilwood pro spindles that has several benefits over the regular Mustang II (ask Denny).They have a special selection of brakes and sizes just for there spindles. But regardless of what you go with you can go with 11"-14" kits just depends how much $$$$$$ you want to spend and what options you want all will work.

I went with 12.19 rotor kit bolts on with no problems

I too am interested in the 12.19" brake package if they will be adequate to stop the car. I have 10.75" discs in the rear. The 12" discs are roughly $800, and the wilwood spindles are $147 ea. The larger brakes are from $1200 up to ridiculous.
Andrew

I went 12.19 all the way around with 4 piston dynalite calipers, the 6 piston set was $1600.00 just for the front

I went 12.19 all the way around with 4 piston dynalite calipers, the 6 piston set was $1600.00 just for the front

Unless you're using an adjustable proportional valve, you're setting yourself/car up for a rear dominant setting meaning you're more likely to lock up your rear brakes. To avoid that, use either an adjustable proportional valve or if you run a stock drum/drum proportional valve run bigger/larger disc up front

Unless you're using an adjustable proportional valve, you're setting yourself/car up for a rear dominant setting meaning you're more likely to lock up your rear brakes. To avoid that, use either an adjustable proportional valve or if you run a stock drum/drum proportional valve run bigger/larger disc up front

Thanks, but I also bought Wilwood combo proportioning valve and Master cylinder so I got it covered.:thumblef:

Attachments

• wilwood.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 0909sr_17_z+1952_chevrolet_bel_air+wilwood_master_cylinder.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 881
Pushing a car really hard will heat up those .81" wide front discs pretty quickly

If you want to get it going ill have my 11.75" setup available complete minus spindles. Were you gonna use dropped spindles anyway?

Ill be using wilwood pro 2" dropped spindles,
RJ I have 3" brake ducts sitting on my bench, Ill install them when I pull the front grill of for paint, and Ill post pics. They will be fed from the front spoiler.
Andrew

-
Back