Brakes not working?

-

Shnarz

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 1974 Plymouth Duster (mopar or no car!!!) and I seem to be having a problem? The brake can be pressed all the way to the floor and not to anything. I really have to stomp on the brake pedal and just then it slowly starts to come to a stop, any ideas?/

I hope to HELL you are not driving this thing..............................

Could be a LOT of things. LOTS. If you have no clue, you might want to find a mechanic. I'm not trying to be mean...........it just sounds like you might not have any idea

Bad master cylinder. Low on fluid. Worn rear shoes, auto adjusters stuck.

What have you done? Pulled the front wheels? Checked the calipers / pads visually?

Pulled the rear drums? Checked the rear brakes? Tried to adjust them?

Checked one end to the other for leaks?

Checked the master for fluid level?

Can you pump the pedal several times and get a good hard pedal?

Does it make noise? Scraping? squealing? Pull to one side? slide one wheel?

Even smell is important. I can SMELL brake fluid. Once you've smelled brake fluid, you KNOW what it is.

If you "pump" the pedal a few times do the brakes work? Have you checked the fluid level in the master cylinder? Drums all around or discs on the front, manual or power? If any sign of fluid leaking - down the inside of the tires, under the dash above the brake pedal? Has the car been sitting for a long time, did this just start all of a sudden?

We need more info.....

I'm only 17 and it's my first car. I know some stuff about cars, but not detailed kind of stuff. What would you guys recommend? Take it to a mechanics shop?

I haven't done absolutely zero to the car. I don't have my license yet, so I haven't been driving it. It was my first car so my dad and I worked on it together and he taught me some stuff, but I have no idea what any of that is..

I'm only 17 and it's my first car. I know some stuff about cars, but not detailed kind of stuff. What would you guys recommend? Take it to a mechanics shop?

Have you had any shop auto mechanics?

Hard for me to know what to recommend. I learned "the hard way" and with the oversight of the "men" of my family when I was your age

You can download shop manuals for your car here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

They of course do not get down to basics, but are specific about these cars

Maybe some of this will help

http://www.carparts.com/brakes.htm

http://www.rmftc.com/howtos/brakes/brakes.html

http://www.carbibles.com/brake_bible.html

Also, I'm not "big" on the Chiltons or Haynes books the auto parts sell, but in this case this might help you. Also checkout your local book store........Barnes & Noble or whatever you have

First lesson - the internet is an amazing tool. If you don't know something, google it first, and then ask here after and we will point you in the right direction. The master cylinder is bolted to the back wall (firewall) of the engine compartment directly in front of the driver, you access it by opening the hood. It has a reservoir for brake fluid, and a piston (which you cannot see). When you step on the brake pedal you push on the piston which, in turn, pushes brake fluid into the brakes to actuate them. You need to open the master cylinder lid and see if the reservoir is full.

I would suggest you go to sears or someplace like that and buy yourself a starter tool kit.

Check this out, I found it in 30 seconds on the internet. Be a problem solver and you will find success!

http://www.carparts.com/brakes.htm

There is a leak somewhere. I checked the master cylinder and the right one was full and the left one was empty. Completely empty

What you need my friend is a "Dad" who's a mechanic who can spend some time with you, by that I mean an uncle, friend whoever, who is willing to teach you a few things

If you have not, I would recommend you take some sort of auto shop class

And as mentioned, find some books. I learned a LOT of what I learned by reading, by doing. I'm an old guy. There was no internet when I was trapesing around.

The thing is, here, brakes are one of THE most important systems on your car. Probably neck and neck is suspension and tires. The engine, heater, radio, other, is not important.

If you cannot steer, control, STOP your car, you are in big big trouble

My point is you need someone who can oversee this and keep you out of trouble.

reservoir has 2 sections front and rear not left and right. The larger of the 2 sections is for the front disc brakes. The smaller section is for rear brakes. Anyway... fill both, put the lid on and pump the pedal. Fluid will begin to run out somewhere. My best guess is the flexible fluid line above the rear axle. Age and or fluids leaking from front of vehicle will deteriorate that hose.
Seconf best guess is master cylinder itself. In this case the fluid will leak between the master cylinder and the booster or firewall it is mounted to.
Hope this helps

What you need my friend is a "Dad" who's a mechanic who can spend some time with you, by that I mean an uncle, friend whoever, who is willing to teach you a few things

If you have not, I would recommend you take some sort of auto shop class

And as mentioned, find some books. I learned a LOT of what I learned by reading, by doing. I'm an old guy. There was no internet when I was trapesing around.

The thing is, here, brakes are one of THE most important systems on your car. Probably neck and neck is suspension and tires. The engine, heater, radio, other, is not important.

If you cannot steer, control, STOP your car, you are in big big trouble

My point is you need someone who can oversee this and keep you out of trouble.

I do have a dad that began helping me work on the car when I first got it a year ago. Since I didn't have a license I couldn't drive it anywhere. My dad is overseas for the next three months. Also my dad is an airplane mechanic, but he's no help right now

Once you have a basic understanding of how the brake system works, it will come to you. But a basic understanding is key. Brakes work on fluid instead of air because fluid will not compress as easily as air. The only reason semi truck trailers use air brakes is because its cleaner when you connect/disconnect the trailer brakes. SEMI TRUCK TRAILERS ONLY. The reason your brake pedal goes to the floor is because of the one empty reservoir you saw. Air is now in the system, you will not have brakes until that is remedied. The remedy is more than just filling the empty side. I am not going into that because it might confuse you until you understand what you're working with. I did not mean that as an insult. Like others said, do some reading first, members here are more than happy and willing to help you! Good luck.

That is funny....well, sad that your dad is away, but funny in that I am an aircraft mechanic (helicopters) and I am overseas working right now. I actually leave today for 5 weeks off at home.

Which reservoir was empty, the smaller or the bigger one? Are they power brakes (is there a large round piece between the master cylinder and the firewall) can you see evidence of fluid leaking out of the back end of the master, or under the dash? Could also be leaking wheel cylinders for the back brakes. As was stated, fill the reservoir and pump the brakes and see if you can figure out where the leak is.

Yes, that is yours? The empty (rear) section serves the front brakes

Also, LOL, notice my signature. Not everything comes easy in life. Too bad your father is not here. As an aircraft mechanic, I'd bet he'd make an excellent car mechanic as well

Yeah, he is pretty good with cars too. But what would you recommend? Fill it up?
The brakes use to work good when we first got it. My father and I would drive around the neighborhood then he left and it just sat there in the garage and then it happened

See a lot of bubbling looking paint underneath the MC in the photo, doesn't exactly look wet but I wonder if it leaking there at the firewall. Anyway I like others on the thread have said is get some brake fluid, dot3 I think is ok, and fill the empty reservoir, put the lid back on, and pump the brakes several times and look for leaks either around the front calipers and hoses, or around the master cylinder.

Glad to see you working on a car and wanting to learn. When my sons were in high school, they wouldn't even turn their head as they walked by to look at an engine when I had the head off. All they cared was video games. Now they call me with car problems, mad because of a simple issue and they have no clue (and still don't care enough to listen).

Glycol brake fluid is a great paint remover, which is why most cars are missing paint and rusted all under the MC, though your bubbled paint looks recent. If you add brake fluid and it disappears (after pumping, etc), you will see it on the ground (so look up). Find the leak, you will see the area wet with brake fluid. My guess is the MC piston is leaking out the rear, so you need a rebuilt one, but verify first. After fixing, refresh your brake fluid every 3 years (in FL) or the insides will rust. Bleed from each wheel until you get clear fluid. Some (like me) use DOT 5 silicone, which is good forever.

I'm no expert.. That looks like a drum drum master cylinder because it has 2 equal reservoirs. Given the age of the car, raised paint from a brake fluid leak could be ghost of leak past.
If you have fluid leaks at the brake assemblies you'll find a mess on the backside of the wheel and tire.
I think I would just start pouring fluid at it. Pump the pedal until my leg is tired and walk away. If the fluid is all gone tomorrow morn the evidence is there somewhere. If fluid is still there I'd pump the pedal again and come back in the evening.
It will show the leak(s) eventually.

I would NOT just dump fluid in this and drive it. Especially since you seem to be uninformed, you for certain want to find the CAUSE before you just fill 'er up and go

What Red said above is a very good starting place

-
Back