Brand new 30 year old tires. Lol

-

prorac1

Reaction score
Picked up some BRAND NEW 30 year old tires. 275/60/15.

A little on the hard side, but literally mint condition with the blue on the white letters still.

They will work good for test fitment.

I don't know what we will do with them after test fitment, but they are cool. Lol.

IMG_3614.JPG
IMG_3615.JPG
IMG_3616.JPG
IMG_3617.JPG

they would look great on the wall of the polebarn

I think someone could mount them on a set of keystone classics and use them for local carshows. That would be cool. Very 80s. Very retro. Lol

That car show better be real local, if you expect someone to roll on 30 year old tires

I've done it. It's not like they spontaneously combust. They just ride a little stiff. But I wouldn't try 2 hours of highway driving. Lol

I've done it. It's not like they spontaneously combust. They just ride a little stiff. But I wouldn't try 2 hours of highway driving. Lol
Oh yes they will spontaneously combust. They are ticking time bombs with that 30 yr.old rubber.

1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees, place on cookie sheet and slow bake, flip after 30 minutes, continue slow baking for additional 30 minutes, remove, allow to cool 1 hour, then serve :eek:

Funny thing is the rubber compounds they were useing 30 years ago held up to uv and other weather related damage much better than what is avalible today. If they were stored inside I wouldnt have any problem with them on a trailer queen type show car. every day driving above 70mph yea maybe not.

If they were stored inside a temperature controlled warehouse or shop they're fine. In temperature extremes, or in the sun they're good rollers.

So they're not safe to drive on but OK to trust not throwing half of the cap-ply and tearing up the quarter wells, lips and lower quarters doing a burnout..........ummmmm..ok..

Probably the coolest burnout gone bad video.

(No Mopars were sacrificed in the filming of this video)

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving car. Those bodies are total junkola.

***Recipe for disaster***
Combine the following;
(1) POS tire probably "S" speed rated(112 mph)
(1) POS 3rd gen 'maro
(1) Bootleg rearend with highway cogs
(1) Dufuss with a heavy right foot

Start by bringing the only spinning tire to a simmer, then wood it & shift into second gear until 75MPH is indicated,
simply wait for said tire, now spinning 150MPH, to self destruct.
Let off, get out, and let cool.
Examine the results of Your efforts, and assess Your totaled vehicle, ........ENJOY!!!!!

Wheel chocks and 20 gallons of water on a tire that doesn't turn,...........dumbest thing I've watched in a while,..LOL!!

I bought an older restored cj-5 for my wife as a toy.
She loves that old jeep, but the tires had no date codes on them.
I found a paint mixture from the body shop dated from 1995 so the tires are from that era.
After driving for a little while, the sidewalls started dry cracking bad.
I put a new set on, even though they had almost new tread.
She told me I was out of my mind to change good tires out, but I did.
A co-worker needed tires bad for his jeep so I gave them to him, slowly one by one the sidewalls started blowing out on him, I warned him but he really needed tires with tread.
I think he did tear one fender up when one of them let loose.
But he was warned.

I put new tires on my 64 Fury 2yrs ago because the threads were wore down badly. 28,000mi on them. The sidewalls looked like new yet and they they drove well. They were the original Good Year Power Cushion tires that were on the car when sold new in 64

Old tires mounted on a car, sat outside for whatever amount of time exposed to the elements vs. old tires on a rack in a warehouse for the same amount of time? Big difference in condition each set would be in. I'd ditch the tires that were mounted and exposed, but would give the ones sat inside some consideration depending on intended use.

-
Back