Brazilian Dodge Dart 76 (similar to 69 usa)

-
Hi Papstxxxxxx.. thanks for your message

Yesterday I began to prepare door hinge to new bushings and pins. I disassembled them.

I will need to leave door hinges in a milling shop to reopen holes and press new bushing. I think it is not a good idea to drill hinge roles in my small table drilling machine.

Note that pins have corrosion. One of them I have to put force to get it out of door hinges.

I will remove all rust of door hinges before I paint them.

Attachments

• Resize of DSC07298.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 747
  • Resize of DSC07310.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 713
  • Resize of DSC07306.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 736
  • Resize of DSC07303.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 720
  • Resize of DSC07301.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 718
  • Resize of DSC07299.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 716
  • Resize of DSC07305.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 742
thanks for given me the motivation i needed

Hi silverfox.. be sure that the one who needs motivation is me... but I try a little every day.. a small job keeps me motivated.

I left my car on a small shop 2 weeks ago (in my birth city). The owner is a good man and do exactly what I ask for. He will finish weld word on floor, prepare metal to painting, align doors and hood and paint it. It was the most difficult decision I made.. I moved to a new city and I'm without space (at least for 1 year I'm living in a small apartment)...

thus, what keeps me up is to work in small parts as door hinges. every saturday I go to the metal/paint shop and helps the man to work on my car. I know that dodge will not be what I wish , but will be good enought to ride across country.

I will post some new photos soon..

Alex...you seem to have my problem...hopping around syndrome.

I have it as well....not enough room to really tear into a big part so I am doing all the small parts now....lots of small parts.

I wanted to know how you were doing on the grill. I am trying to restore my wife's 69 cuda grill and it has got me nervous. I want to melt away but I don't have any extra material to fill in the gaps. I have an old plastic glove box liner that seems to be of the same material but I am waiting for you to succeed or fail before I try.

What is the status on yours?

Thanks,

Mop

Hi momoparman.. I used extra material from any plastic piece that looks like the grill.. for example, an old plastic tool box, an old vhs box, an old car alarm.

I have to weld 4 pieces more.. but I have to reinforce the pieces I already welded and sand blast the grill. I will reinforce using epoxy resin and fiberglass. I will reinforce the places tha are bolt to the car body. Just a tin fiberglass layer with epoxy works fine.

The major problem I have is to work with fiberglass at home.. I always do a big mess and my wife always try to kill me ;)

I will try to sand blast a piece of my dart grill and post a nice photo this week

hi momoparman.. I have an example on page 4. I used an old vhs tape box to close a friend's instruments panel...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=83460&page=4

take a look how the panel is after I painted (no ready yeat as I have to paint the chrome lines)

ps: phto with emblem shows minor marks that made me crazy.. I sand blasted it again and repainted

Attachments

• Resize of DSC07052.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 685
  • Resize of DSC07282.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 683
OK...I will look around for some similar plastic...I guess ABS is what they used????

That repair looks good....and I hear you about getting yelled at for working inside....er in her domain.:-D

Thanks again Alex.

Mop

are you saying,, you are going to try copper for brake lines?? i think the copper is to soft of a metal,,,not sure how it will hold up against brake fluid,,,,

nice idea using the motor bike cable,,,

Hi fstfish66
I don't want to use copper. but copper tubes hold up a high pressure. I'm avoiding them because they are ugly and they also may oxidize if in contatct with fuel. Moreover, copper tubes are rolled in the shop.. its difficult to make it a straight line tube (I allways see some marks).
Thus, I prefer iron tube.. I will also try to find a coil tube protection just like the original.

are you saying,, you are going to try copper for brake lines?? i think the copper is to soft of a metal,,,not sure how it will hold up against brake fluid,,,,

nice idea using the motor bike cable,,,

Hi,

I almost quiting everything. Have a lot problems at home. Car is at a shop being painted.
But I'm really distressed at home. Don't have enought money to buy a new home.. my wife keeps anyoing me. Don't know what to tell more.
I will just finish paint job, and sell car as it is.. I will not buy finishing parts because I don't have money at moment.. moreover, they are becaming more expensive each day (headliner, windishield and rear window gaskets for example).
I know I was motivating some people, but sorry,
I will post just a few more picutres about paint process. Today I workd a bit, but I fell down and scracthed my arm... my mind ins't in my head anymore.

ps: first photo: my dad and dart when he was leaving parking to go to painting shop
2nd. photo: car resting in piece in painting shop

Attachments

• Resize of Dogee Alex 141.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 629
  • Resize of Dogee Alex 044.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 660
Alex....put the car parts down and step back.

1. Don't loose the wife....she is your best half...remember that.
2. Don't try to finish so fast and furious. You are close but not that close.
3. Remember this is supposed to be a hobby not a chore.

Take some time off and spend it relaxing and reconnecting with what is really important to you and what you really need in your life.

Your efforts and educating of your peers can wait. We are all self motivated at our own levels so even if you stop working we will still go on at our usual pace's.

You seem like a genuinely good guy and having your head in a bad place is not good for a good guy.

Take time for Alex.

Mop

Just step away for a second alex, Im sure you can store it somewhere til thins get better. Don't just paint and sell it, there's no rush to finish it and it won't cost you any money just to sit it somewhere and wait til you can pick it up again. But for now, just step away and let things level out

Damn I just found this thread, sorry to hear about your troubles but the work thus far is amazing and you should be proud of yourself...I know we are, good luck to you and all the best Ed

Hi Alex!

Calm down my friend!

We are here to try help you!

You aren't alone Alex!

Please, no stress!

Big hug my friend!

don't know what to do exactly

I keep working. I will think a lot during these weeks while I prepare car to paint.

I went to paint shop today, I replace the old car door for a "new" I bought some months ago. The new doors are much better..

I removed almost everything from doors (glass, etc). Now the paint shop worker will remove old paint and aling door with car body.

thanks God I did this today.. less mind pressure than yesterday.

a few steps back.. thinking a lot.

I replaced both doors because I got 2 new doors (really new).

I got a better hood.. much better than the one I was working on. Better parts.. better paiting result.

The best thing.. paid about 500$ on 2 doors, 1 hood, 2 fenders and a trunk door.

Attachments

• Resize of DSC07616.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 628
  • Resize of DSC07630.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 635
  • Resize of DSC07629.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 631
I started to work on front brake calipters. I removed hoses.. (one of them I hade a hard work).

Now I'm trying to remove calipters pistons... really hard work. They don't move!!!

I used a lot of WD-40.. I really hate it. I will try to heat pistons. Perhaps I drill a hole to pull pinston.

Attachments

• Resize of DSC07796.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 580
  • Resize of DSC07799.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 567
  • Resize of DSC07800.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 597
Use grasegun to put pressure inside caliber from opened brake fluid bleeding screw. Need assistant to hold graseguns hose. Vaselin push one of pistons out. After that sink caliber to diesel for some days. "old style" workshop methods.

Hi, I just found a video on youtube showing greasegun method today.

I'm having some problems to remove bleeding screw. they are really stuck. I'm using plenty of wd-40.. I will also heat it before try to remove.. after that, I will try to use pressured air to remove pistons.. If not sucessfull.. I will try to use grease gun.. if not sucessfully........don't know yet =P~

thanks a lot for your message!

Use grasegun to put pressure inside caliber from opened brake fluid bleeding screw. Need assistant to hold graseguns hose. Vaselin push one of pistons out. After that sink caliber to diesel for some days. "old style" workshop methods.

brazilian dart SE horn button

Attachments

• Resize of DSC07866.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 566
  • Resize of DSC07869.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 537
Hi Alex!

The SE horn button is very rare!

Your Dart Special Edition will be the best in Brazil.

Big hug my friend!

-
Back