Brodix B1 video by Eric Weingartner

-
Oh yea, I agree, one bad *** head. Us old time guys remember them from way way back.

Last edited:
Tom Hemphill has probably touched more B1 heads than most. He took two huge pieces of billet aluminum many many years ago and made two billet heads for im Thinking Koffels dragster with a blower on it. They were very close throughout the years. Tom told me when I was doing my heads up car if you get 400cfm put it together. Well I was stalled in that area for several days and finally found my way up to 420 with lots of work and I took molds so I could apply that work to another set I have here with titanium valves but never touched them. Now I wish I would have taken more time because the car hadn’t moved. I’m thinking at least 430cfm is doable. They sure are pathetic out of the box.

2A3CE5D2-5733-42C8-86C8-6FBECD807D59.jpeg

2926F5BA-2D1E-4EE5-9F8E-775FB20064BE.jpeg

2AEE0590-7B26-462D-9165-E1C43DE27158.jpeg

9C8D2AE0-4529-41B9-85DA-707AA81D9E35.jpeg

0718CCDB-C762-4B62-9BCB-C1A20C2DCBBC.jpeg

09A59504-E645-40C0-BADF-D3B02F7E9DDB.jpeg

C68C951F-97EC-4FEA-96FF-8F5590CB9449.jpeg

790BC5E7-A36B-4430-A2A2-CF3E7AB7BADB.jpeg

As soon as I can figure out how to make myself some really good money I will be building a b1 head engine. That is about the most kick *** chunk of aluminum that can be bought for a big Mopar, that and predators. But until then I better get a real race block and pack it with some really good stuff.

As soon as I can figure out how to make myself some really good money I will be building a b1 head engine. That is about the most kick *** chunk of aluminum that can be bought for a big Mopar, that and predators. But until then I better get a real race block and pack it with some really good stuff.

When I originally built my 572 I had Tom Hemphill cut my Indy 440-1 pistons (Wiseco pistons) for B1 heads so I could run both heads on the same short block. I have the nitrous pistons in now which are cut for the B1 heads only. When a friend was getting out of racing I bought his 4.5 Calias crank so basically I could have two complete balanced assemblies

Tom Slawko did a program for the PSO version of B1 heads, never saw an engine that ran those heads though. I can't remember if Best Machine did an engine with them or not. It was a while ago now. I believe MBE have done something with them as well.

Tom Hemphill has probably touched more B1 heads than most. He took two huge pieces of billet aluminum many many years ago and made two billet heads for im Thinking Koffels dragster with a blower on it. They were very close throughout the years. Tom told me when I was doing my heads up car if you get 400cfm put it together. Well I was stalled in that area for several days and finally found my way up to 420 with lots of work and I took molds so I could apply that work to another set I have here with titanium valves but never touched them. Now I wish I would have taken more time because the car hadn’t moved. I’m thinking at least 430cfm is doable. They sure are pathetic out of the box.
How pathetic is "pathetic"? And how many hours to make them un-pathetic?

From memory they're about 360-370 cfm out of the box for the original style head. They're a 30 or more year old design, and not particularly efficient by todays standards.

I remember koffell's place and I remember B1 also had a small block head

Tom Slawko did a program for the PSO version of B1 heads, never saw an engine that ran those heads though. I can't remember if Best Machine did an engine with them or not. It was a while ago now. I believe MBE have done something with them as well.
Best machine has done several engines with the pso head, they only build them 10 sets at a time if I recall. There was a guy that they called pso Johnny ( I think ) who was making north of 1000hp with them. I also know someone who has them but the hp is a big secret. The same person's back up engine has ported b1's, non pso, and made more more power than ported 572-13 Indy heads.

Here you go, hope the link works

-
Back