broke manifold

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
This isn't mine, but I've never seen an exhaust manifold do this before! It broke between cylindets 2 and 3! :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG-20111215-00070.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG-20111215-00071.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 217
Yeah it's real common on six cylinder stuff. The longer a piece of cast iron gets, the more prone it is to cracking. It's real common with slant exhaust mannyfolds.

The quality of all metalurgy has went down over the years. In 1986 Ford recalled brake rotors that were flaking apart in thin layers like mica. Seemed like anything from GM was subject to cracks in 1990. Actually the quality of anything metal has went down except for aluminum alloys which have improved over time. I expect the quality there will begib to decline as the virgin raw materials disappear and/or become too costly.

I've seen that happen to a manifold before. It was on a early 80s ford pick up. Actually it didn't break so much as disintegrate and fall off. It's amazing what cow crap will do to metal over time! It was kinda neat revving the motor and watching fire come out of the side of the heads

Yeah it's real common on six cylinder stuff. The longer a piece of cast iron gets, the more prone it is to cracking. It's real common with slant exhaust mannyfolds.

Three of the six or seven /6 manifolds i have laying around are cracked. defiantly a common problem lol.

This is why it's so important to have slant heads checked for being warped. When cast iron gets that long, it does some funny stuff. Although they do warp, the V8 heads are not as prone because they are shorter. I have actually seen straight six heads warped so badly, that we had to chuck them up in a press, press them as straight as we could and then mill them. Otherwise, the difference between chamber volumes would be drastic when done milling. This is also critical with any over head camshaft head. Because the camshaft runs through the head, if it warps badly enough, it can actually cause the camshaft to bind. If the entire head is not straightend first and just milled, when it is torqued back down, the camshaft will be impossible to install, because the camshaft bores will be misaligned.

Grab the A/C crank pulley if you can,hard to come by.Worth a few bucks.

Good to know that you got them, Charlie S on .org had a few. was looking for more. With his a/c bracket kit he makes for sanden compressors .
Maybe not as hard to come by as I thought.

-
Back