Broken field wire = not charging?

-

Downtime!

Better With A Big Block
Reaction score
Haven't started the Scamp in a week or two, went to get gas last night. She started right up in the garage, so I headed out, turned the lights on and drove to the station. Filled up, went to start her up and got nothing. All lights came on good and strong though. Got a jump, she fired right up, so I bee-lined it for the house. Noticed the head lights were barely on the whole trip.

Got her in the garage, started checking closer and found one of the field wires completely broken and disconnected. Put a new connector on and reattached, put the battery charger on overnight. Started right up this morning with no issues, drove her for a bit, started and stopped the car several times with no issues.

I know nothing about electrical, would the broken field wire prevent the car from charging?

Thanks!

Uh...........well,.....................gee.................... "of course?" Whya think Ma put all that extra not needed wiring in there? LOL?

Yada. They also put in an ammeter so you can monitor the alternator output before it strands you.

Next time you ask such a question, please tell everybody something about your car like year, engine, mod.s. It does matter, even for an alternator question.

They'll preach Madelectrical bypass the amp gauge then gig you.
No public forum is perfect.
Happy moparing

'72 Scamp with a '78 440, "squareback" alternator.

Battery is now fully charged, car starts right up, ammeter is running one line to the right of center now (was fully pegged).

I measure 13.8 volts at the battery with the car off and it drops to 13.25 after I start the car. If I'm reading correctly, this indicates a bad alternator?

Well 13.5 is not "telling." Give it a "chance" so to speak. Run it a bit with lights, heater turned on. It should maintain 13.5 or so. If it drops down towards 12, then, not charging.

Clean up the voltage regulator mount, it MUST be grounded.

Well 13.5 is not "telling." Give it a "chance" so to speak. Run it a bit with lights, heater turned on. It should maintain 13.5 or so. If it drops down towards 12, then, not charging.

Clean up the voltage regulator mount, it MUST be grounded.
Will do. Weather sucks here right now, hopefully get her out tomorrow and see how she's doing.

-
Back