Broken K frame bolt 74 Swinger

-

George Lawicki

Reaction score
Hey guys First Iam looking for a K frame bolt if anyone has one laying around for a 74 Dart. I have a broken off k frame bolt that snapped off inside the frame and drilling it out etc was unsuccessful and ruined the threads in the frame it is on the D side front bolt so its in a position where I think its beyond my skill level to try and fix. So instead of making a situation worse any suggestions or a shop near Cleveland that might be able to help me out?? Thanks

20220903_143343.jpg

Hey guys First Iam looking for a K frame bolt if anyone has one laying around for a 74 Dart. I have a broken off k frame bolt that snapped off inside the frame and drilling it out etc was unsuccessful. it is on the D saide front bolt so its in a position where I think its beyond my skill level to try and fix. So instead of making a situation worse any suggestions or a shop near Cleveland that might be able to help me out?? Thanks

View attachment 1716013881
By being unsuccessful on drilling the broken bolt out, are you saying and is the photo showing a broken drill bit in the stuck bolt?
if so that did make the fix a little tougher.
Try to find a local mopar restoration shop. I am thinking the fix will be something like:
1) opening up the side of the frame to gain access to the stuck bolt from the inside
2) cutting off the stuck bolt flush with the inside frame rail
3) removing - cutting out the remaining stuck bolt section
4) welding in the appropriately sized nut inside the frame to accept a standard bolt of the appropriate size
5) closing over the access hole that was cut into the side of the frame.

Looks like the attempt put the drilled hole off-center. I'd drop the K and weld a nut to what's left, giving a place to use a socket. The heat should help with spinning it out. Then asses the thread damage. Maybe just a chase and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Looks like the attempt put the drilled hole off-center. I'd drop the K and weld a nut to what's left, giving a place to use a socket. The heat should help with spinning it out. Then asses the thread damage. Maybe just a chase and your good to go.
I mean no insult to the OP when I state that this is CLEARLY above his skill level.

OP: drill a 1/8" hole GENTLY above each of the remaining 3 bolts, and spray a good penetrating oil on them before you remove them. This will allow you to spray the threaded portion of the bolt. DON'T drill the bolts.

As for the broken one: remove anything you've broken off in the hole. This is step one.

Then you're going to either take it to a shop and pay dearly, or find someone with a cutoff wheel and a welder, and they're going to cut a side plate out of the frame rail, spray the bolt with penetrant, grab the bolt sticking through the nut, and break it loose, and thread it through (as in, up into the frame rail).

Then weld the frame rail section back in. Mig or Tig only. No stick, and no flux-core BS.

And use anti-seize on the bolts when you put them back in. If you've gotten off-center a little and nibbled the threads you'll probably be OK, but use a torque wrench instead of an impact gun.

Hey guys First Iam looking for a K frame bolt if anyone has one laying around for a 74 Dart. I have a broken off k frame bolt that snapped off inside the frame and drilling it out etc was unsuccessful and ruined the threads in the frame it is on the D side front bolt so its in a position where I think its beyond my skill level to try and fix. So instead of making a situation worse any suggestions or a shop near Cleveland that might be able to help me out?? Thanks

View attachment 1716013881
NOS MOPAR K-Frame Bolt(s) A, B, E-Body Dodge Plymouth Coronet Challenger Dart | eBay

I kinda figured that was the plan however the motor is still in the car and the upper comtrol arm snubber plate is in the way to cut a side plate out. Im affraid the K frame will have to be taken off

I kinda figured that was the plan however the motor is still in the car and the upper comtrol arm snubber plate is in the way to cut a side plate out. Im affraid the K frame will have to be taken off
If the motor is still in the car, just put the car on stands and leave the motor attached to the K. It'll drop out the bottom slicker than snot once the upper control arms, torsion bars, etc, are pulled.

Not knowing your skill level, I'd be tempted to use a cutting torch with a small tip to blow a hole through the old bolt. That might even break the threads loose in the process and allow you to use an easy-out. From what I can see in the photo, the threads at this point should still work ok. You won't know for sure until you get the broken part out and torque down a new bolt.

Another option if you're not planning on pulling the K-member any time soon, is the just tack weld the K-member to the frame rail and call it a day.

Not knowing your skill level, I'd be tempted to use a cutting torch with a small tip to blow a hole through the old bolt. That might even break the threads loose in the process and allow you to use an easy-out. From what I can see in the photo, the threads at this point should still work ok. You won't know for sure until you get the broken part out and torque down a new bolt.
No I tried drilling the bolt and it moved to far to the side and took out the threads. There are no threads left

Another option if you're not planning on pulling the K-member any time soon, is the just tack weld the K-member to the frame rail and call it a day.
I think this will be be my option for now. I don't plan on pulling the K frame untill I am ready to do either A a motor swap or B I start doing the restoration on it which maybe next summer

I'm going to disagree. An EasyOut is going to do nothing but make matters worse.

-
Back