Broken Screw

-

Maccoy

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to remove broken center rocker shaft hold down cap screw on 340 Head short of removing head and taking to a machine shop. Help!

I would try a left handed drill bit first. Once it grabs it should back out the bolt. Make sure that you center punch the bolt before you drill it or the bit might go off center. If that does'nt work you will already have a hole for an easy out.

How broke is it? Is there any material sticking up that you could possibly lock on to with vise grips? Or is it flush?

Depending on how hard it was put in, cross threaded and then broke etc. It might be harder to get out, and as some folks on this board can tell you lately, you have a good chance of also breaking of the extractor or easy-out in the broken bolt.

I've removed broken bolts with an automatic center punch before, slowly walking them out. Like I said it depends how tight it is. The spring loaded automatic center punch "may" break it free, and then you can walk it out from there.

If all else fails, I would drill it out as much as you can to use the biggest easy out or extractor you can (to avoide breaking it off in there). Start with smaller drill bits, and work your way up to larger bits. You'll have to get creative with some shop rags or towels to catch the metal shavings from going into the motor.

I've had good luck (about 70% success rate anyways, hehe) with these:

25SE_d.jpg

http://mactools.com/SearchResults.aspx

Hope this helps! Keep us posted! :salut:

It wasn't cross threaded or anything, Just used too big a torque wrench on it and overtorqued it. Unfortunately, nothing to grap with vice grips! Thanks for the info.

Try the spring loaded automatic center punch first before you drill it. You may be surprised. I've actually removed many broken bolts this way. You just use the center punch on the bolt in a counter-clockwise fashion, and (hopefully) the springing action of the punch will bust it free. Worth a shot anyways!

If you don't know what it is or have never seen one, you should be able to pick one up at your local hardware store for under $7. Everyone should have one of these babys in their toolbox.

70079.jpg

http://generaltools.com/product.asp?action=prdupc&prid=358&sectionid=4

70079.jpg

It'll also take out a car window in a heartbeat.

Ask me how I know...... :cussing:

Chris, You aare right about using those screw extractors, Those are the only ones to use. I've only seen one of those ever break. All the other types are horrible.

AdamR said:
How do you know ?

A few years ago I had the drivers side window, and every other car on the blocks, windows broken by kids riding down the street on bicycles popping car windows with an automatic centerpunch.

I wish I could have returned the favor by popping out an eye.... :twisted:

I just went through a similar situation on my Impala. I had 4 broken exhaust manifold bolts. Two came out with an extractor. Got to the 3rd one and I broke the extractor. I had to use a die grinder to remove the broken off piece of extractor. Then I welded a nut to the bolt and it backed right out. Did the same on the 4th bolt, worked like a charm.

Info on Automatic Center Punch a Godsend. Two smacks with it and it was loose enough to back out. Thanks a million!!!

to be honest with you,MAY not need any of those type of tools...i had the center bolt on my x-head break TWICE!!!!!

its NOT bottomed out just a weak bolt...take two small screwdrivers and stick them down in the hole and i BET you can move the bolt!!!

it may take a few mins but it will work!!!...worked for me TWICE!!!!

-
Back