Bronze or special steel oil pump drive

-

Hemi 540

Reaction score
I have a solid roller in the 540 Hemi I'm building and I have heard so much conflicting opinions on using the bronze gear on the street . Apparently Crane have a steel gear for roller cams . Tho not to be used with HV high pressure pumps . I have a mellings HV . Yes they are high volume but pressure is controlled by bearing clearance once oil is warm , surly when cold and the pressure is controlled buy the relief spring the engine isn't being revved hard any way . Confused . Any help or anyone using either give me your thoughts .
Cheers

Those Crane gears are a pain to install. The bronze gear will last a long time if the cam walk is controlled and the gear on the cam is cut correctly. Go bronze and don't worry about it.

Thanks IQ , just another Hemi with similar setup chewed out bronze gear in only 600 miles .

we ran a bronze gear in the hemi, back in the day, never had a problem w/ it. never did wear, was race only then tho. hughs advertises a steel gear that will work on any kind of cam, i will definitly go w/ it when the time comes-----------------bob

we ran a bronze gear in the hemi, back in the day, never had a problem w/ it. never did wear, was race only then tho. hughs advertises a steel gear that will work on any kind of cam, i will definitly go w/ it when the time comes-----------------bob

I am running a billet steel roller cam in my 408. I originally intended on going with a bronze distributor/oil pump gear. While ordering parts from Summit, Their rep questioned the use of a bronze gear in a street driven car. He stated bronze gears are for race only applications. After researching the issue, the general consensus was not to expect to get much more than 10,000 miles before replacing the bronze gear. This information caused me to look for other options. I ended up buying the "special gear" from Hughes engines. This gear is only available without a pump shaft. I bought a bronze gear with shaft and then Hughes Engines removed and replaced that gear with the "special gear". There was a small machining charge for doing this conversion.

To me it was worth the price not to be constantly worrying about that gear wearing out and/or grenading inside my nice new 408.

Russ

Russ I think it's the same gear that Crane sell actuall made by Crane . What did Hughes say about hi volume oil pumps being used in conjunction with their gear .

Russ I think it's the same gear that Crane sell actuall made by Crane . What did Hughes say about hi volume oil pumps being used in conjunction with their gear .

I'm running a Melling M72HV. Since the gear drive shaft is hardened, there should not be an issue. This was discussed with Hughes before deciding to go that route. I suggest you talk directly to them. In my experience, Hughes people are very knowledgeable and easy to deal with.

Russ

Thanks Russ , might send them an email as not sure time difference . Cost is not a question as I have already tipped over $23,000 into my Hemi so cutting corners ain't an option now

Thanks Russ , might send them an email as not sure time difference . Cost is not a question as I have already tipped over $23,000 into my Hemi so cutting corners ain't an option now

Looking at my invoice, the total cost for the parts, machining and shipping was $219.94. IMO, Not to dear a price for piece of mind. Somehow, I couldn't come to terms with the idea of having a sacrificial bronze gear constantly shedding off metal particles into the lube system of my new engine.

Russ

When i was shopping for mine. Mind you i was looking for one for a 440 with a Solid tappet cam. But everyone seemed to point me to this guy!

Attachments

• oil pump drive.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 114
I just called them up and asked if that gear could be used with a billet roller cam...they stated, "no, it's just a regular gear." :(

-
Back