Bronze valve guide liner install J heads question for machine shop guys...

-

Dartswinger70

Reaction score
I have a set of J heads that are knurled with 2.02's. What equipment would I need to install bronze valve guide liners? Is it affordable or should I just drop them off at a machine shop?

I have no issues with a machine shop however the last set I dropped off took 6 weeks to 2 months to get the work done.

Its a street restoration. Machine shops arent on every corner any more but I get what youre saying. I d arather do ti myself but the equipment is rediculously expensive youd think there would be used stuff sround from someone who retired and sold it off...I had machine shop in tech school years ago and am somewhat familiar with the procedure.The lisle 59000 tool is ideal for at home valve guide work but you cant find them any where...if I wanted to have a race shop do it I am in commuting distance to Ray Bartons shop I wonder if theyd do it it isnt a hemi...:)

well I also figure I could uy some edelbrocks or speedmasters and from wat I can tell they are serviceable replaceable guides and valvetrain etc. Ultimately I want to be able to recondition stock cast heads though no porting just making then serviceable. I may have to spend the money I suppose...

well I also figure I could uy some edelbrocks or speedmasters and from wat I can tell they are serviceable replaceable guides and valvetrain etc. Ultimately I want to be able to recondition stock cast heads though no porting just making then serviceable. I may have to spend the money I suppose...

If people knew what state you lived in maybe they could possibly make suggestions but I guess it’s a big secret. Not sure why guys do this.

If people knew what state you lived in maybe they could possibly make suggestions but I guess it’s a big secret. Not sure why guys do this.
Cause theres all kinds of psychos and rapists on the internet...nah but reeally Im in eastern Pa I think Ive mentioned that before maya sw ell say Philly area I can be in Philly relative;y quick and easy. sav efor the traffic. I also frequent Harrisburgh and Lancaster county. Ive been everywhere man..but no etere are parts of Pa that are like a different state LOL!

Valve guides really need a machine to install to do them right. You bore the guide hole, install the guide, machine or ream to the correct size and check to make sure the valve is seated properly. After guides you should have the valves and seats ground to make sure it is all correct.

Valve guides really need a machine to install to do them right. You bore the guide hole, install the guide, machine or ream to the correct size and check to make sure the valve is seated properly. After guides you should have the valves and seats ground to make sure it is all correct.
I have read about that if the guide isnt reamed straight the head is toast etc. I beleive there is no way to do it freehand hnece that Lisle 59000 tool that noone can find I beleive that trues it up for reaming. In reality I beleive the cost of the tools wouldnt be worth it unless I was to start doing heads as in quite a few sets over time etc. I have a 340 bottom end tahts just about together and a set of 1.88 heads ready to go but really want my set of 2.02's redone. Time to ante up I suppose.

I have read about that if the guide isnt reamed straight the head is toast etc. I beleive there is no way to do it freehand hnece that Lisle 59000 tool that noone can find I beleive that trues it up for reaming. In reality I beleive the cost of the tools wouldnt be worth it unless I was to start doing heads as in quite a few sets over time etc. I have a 340 bottom end tahts just about together and a set of 1.88 heads ready to go but really want my set of 2.02's redone. Time to ante up I suppose.
Do it right and do it once.

Yup thats it . cant find one for sale anywhere...
Stop looking. Lisle hasn't made that for decades. No replacement parts are available. Unless you are getting into the cylinder head reconditioning business, do yourself a favor and have a machine shop do it. Don't half *** it by doing it yourself.

Stop looking. Lisle hasn't made that for decades. No replacement parts are available. Unless you are getting into the cylinder head reconditioning business, do yourself a favor and have a machine shop do it. Don't half *** it by doing it yourself.
I have to say I agree...so many stock heads out there that need rebuilding though but they are getting old also. Im fortunate that I have a decent set of x heads and two sets of j's my last set of Js need redone Ill spring for that ( Im thinking 700 bucks in todays money) then have 3 sets that work. Thing that is unfortunate is who would pay 750 for redone J's ? mayve in 5 years or so...:)

^^^^There are reasons people buy new Speedmasters!??
Yes that s always a consideration. Il take all the unwanted X and J's though ...I wonder how many are getting scrapped because noone around rebuilds them. I just called the machine shop guy says hes swamped and I can drop them off but no telling when hell get to them...amazing LOL! Im pretty sure Im in the ball park with my estimate of $700 get me some 2.02 J's get mey spare 340 together then I can retire :) gotta do it while I have the money LOL! He will do everything though resurface ,valve guides, valve seat etc. Plus clean them for repaint. In all actuality $700 isnt bad in 2024...

Last edited:
I can tell you a little story here. Around 48 years I fell in love with racing. There were machine shops on every corner. Heck Napa 75 feet from my house did machine work and I’m not taking just cutting rotors. 15 years ago the shop that sponsored me closed. 1.5 years ago the machine shop I’ve used since then shut down after Johnny retired. Crank work only now by an old retired guy that comes in twice a week. This is the main reason I bought my valve seat machine at 65 years old. Honestly I’ll never pay for it with the work I do but I love it. If you are young and love this stuff slowly buy what you can and do what you can. It’s not going to get any better trust me.

I can tell you a little story here. Around 48 years I fell in love with racing. There were machine shops on every corner. Heck Napa 75 feet from my house did machine work and I’m not taking just cutting rotors. 15 years ago the shop that sponsored me closed. 1.5 years ago the machine shop I’ve used since then shut down after Johnny retired. Crank work only now by an old retired guy that comes in twice a week. This is the main reason I bought my valve seat machine at 65 years old. Honestly I’ll never pay for it with the work I do but I love it. If you are young and love this stuff slowly buy what you can and do what you can. It’s not going to get any better trust me.
We are down to one here in town. They are performance oriented so they do the IMCA stock car Chevy engines. Tom bought out another shop and got a lot of nice equipment including the dyno and the previous owner to run it. There is another one man shop 15 miles away that did my 273. He does nice work and has newer equipment. They are getting few and far between.

We are down to one here in town. They are performance oriented so they do the IMCA stock car Chevy engines. Tom bought out another shop and got a lot of nice equipment including the dyno and the previous owner to run it. There is another one man shop 15 miles away that did my 273. He does nice work and has newer equipment. They are getting few and far between.

Someone will probably get a deal on my valve seat machine with 2000.00 worth of upgrades, a nice flowbench, mig, Tig, and stick welder, a lathe and several other goodies because my kids aren’t into it. But I don’t care and if I want or need something I’m buying it.

-
Back