Buck in the backyard

-

Pine Tree Mopar

Mopar Maine-iac
Reaction score
Morning all,
I told MeMike I'd post pics, when I had deer coming in, and managed to grab the camera and get a couple of shots yesterday afternoon. Each year we feed the deer, and "our herd" has grown from 4 the 1st year, to more than 30 last year. Last year was the best for bucks, with 9 different ones that we know of.

I'll be out looking for the sheds in a month or so. :thumrigh: Hope the drop tine buck comes around, and we find his sheds. I'll post pics as I get them.

Does anyone else feed the deer, or any wildlife for that matter (4 legged :toothy7:that is) If so, post some pics if you have them. Tim

100_3111 (Small).JPG

100_3110 (Small).JPG

A friend told me of a guy who put support brackets on both ends of his feeder with a 2x4 between them that is high enough so when the bucks feed they bang their antlers on it. Claims he finds sheds right at his feeder all the time that way.

Well look at that!! good pictures and a good looking buck.:thumleft:
What would you suggest I should put out for dear here in Arkansas?
We are covered with oak trees"acorns" and persimmons tree's "persimmons".
Sounds like you have a nice buffet going for them.what do you use?
Thanks for sharing your four legged friend.
We have only had couple of bellow freezing nights here.
I feed these guys all the time,Dogs!! and I will put out some corn for the squirrels.
one night I left the dog food bag on the porch and a pair of coons showed up.
After a couple more freezes ,or if I am lucky get some snow here I see deer on this fence line. I think we have a Christmas gun hunt and I will do the peanut butter on the tree thing and hope to get me a nice looking two year old doe for my freezer. But I don't think I will turn down a nice big 10 pointer.

Look real close at the two pic of the raccoon and look in the back ground!!
Do you see a predator.

bob77 0055.jpg

bob77 0088.jpg

bob77 0188.jpg

coon_007[1]coon.jpg

coon_008[1]coon2.jpg

It is in the second picture, About midnite the first shot he was not there.
Just above his head buy a large gas can

The woods I hunt in is 20 yards off my back porch.
Over three square mile of woods and pasture land with allot of fishing and watering holes.

Morning all,
I told MeMike I'd post pics, when I had deer coming in, and managed to grab the camera and get a couple of shots yesterday afternoon. Each year we feed the deer, and "our herd" has grown from 4 the 1st year, to more than 30 last year. Last year was the best for bucks, with 9 different ones that we know of.

I'll be out looking for the sheds in a month or so. :thumrigh: Hope the drop tine buck comes around, and we find his sheds. I'll post pics as I get them.

Does anyone else feed the deer, or any wildlife for that matter (4 legged :toothy7:that is) If so, post some pics if you have them. Tim

I mean no offense to you, but it's not really wise to feed the deer, it upsets the balance of nature. They need to fend for themselves, no matter how cruel that might seem during a bad Winter. What's going to happen when the day inevitably comes when you stop feeding them ? They're all going to starve to death. Just my .02, and again, nothing personal.

Guys, what a trip this is. I was just looking out my window at a very nice 8 pointer. Too dark to get a pic, but the horns went a couple inches past his ears. That would put the rack at about 22" wide, and it had tall points. We've had 9 different deer here so far tonight.

Mike, we use cattle feed, which is basically the same as deer feed, just $2 cheaper. Sometimes we cut it with cracked corn, or oats. We also cut up apples once in a while to mix in. Nice pic of the coon, Sometimes they come here, and get into our trash, but they're better than skunks.

70 duster 340, no offense taken, and I appreciate your opinion. That's the beauty of living in this country, everybody has the right to their beliefs, and to be heard. Not to worry about the deer though. We have been feeding the deer here for 6 years, and have had no problems. We have a winter deer yard in the woods surrounding our house, and only feed them enough to bring them in. They still feed on the grass from our lawn, apples from our trees, and browse in the woods as normal.

This is unreal, before I could even get done typing this, my wife called me to the window to see a 9 pointer that came in to feed. Rack wasn't as big as the 8 point, but it still's awsome.:toothy7: I'll get some pics when they start coming out earlier. Tim

Looks like they are about to start round 1 over some doe's.:toothy7:

Good pic's everyone.

Our AFGC puts out feed plots and feed our dear hear in Arkansas,:-|:-k

Hey Mike, they did come face to face, and push each other around a little. nothing serious, but they are still in rut. I wasn't really suprised to see them both in at the same time. Last year I had 5 nice bucks feeding at the same time. Quite a sight. Tim

Thanks for sharing Tim.
Nature sure can be humbling.
And looks like you have a great spot!!
and taking good care of them:thumrigh:

ark3.jpg

I don`t feed the animals here but nature does. The other night I had a Hoot Owl on the roof. That guy was hooting up a storm! This year there`s been a bumper crop of acorns which has led to an influx of big predatory birds coming in to hunt the squirrel and mice. Just last week there was a Red Hawk in my front yard. He had a squirrel pinned down in his talons. If you listen to the old folks talk around here, we are in for a cold winter based on the huge amount of acorns the trees have produced this year. They believe that nature provides and that the abundance of food is going to be needed by the animals to survive a tough winter.

History of the White-Tailed Deer
When Europeans came to the New World, the plentiful white-tailed deer played an important role in providing food for Native Americans. During 1539-42, the army of Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto found venison and whitetail hides being used by Arkansas Indians. The Caddo Indian tribe of southwestern Arkansas and western Louisiana depended on whitetails as a food source.

By the early 1900s, though white-tailed deer numbers were declining throughout the state. Unrestricted hunting, accelerated land clearing and the influx of people settling in the state brought about their demise.

In 1916, the newly created Game and Fish Commission opened the state's first deer season, and in 1919, the bucks-only law was created. But the herd continued to decrease and in 1926-27, the first deer refuges were established in the state.

It was almost too late. By 1930, only a few hundred deer remained. Things began to turn around when the Game and Fish Commission bought deer from other states and trapped and relocated deer within the state.

During the 1940s, the Commission trapped and relocated more than 1800 deer throughout the state. The restoration effort, along with better public awareness and restrictive regulations, was a complete success, and today's herd numbers almost a million animals.
The keys to effective white-tailed deer management are maintaining quality habitat and controlled hunting. For a number of years now, deer biologists have found that an either-sex harvest is important in managing the herd. In certain areas, it has proved necessary in maintaining sustained and balanced herd productivity. The best way to effectively manage the white-tailed deer is to have a good knowledge of herd population.

While on a job site this fall had this mule deer come up to me. Pretty wild huh? Just happened to have a camera along and as you can see.The rest is history. May be the first and last time this happens.

dirt 023.jpg

Longgone, I believe there's a lot to some of the old beliefs, like you said, nature provides. Around here some of the old timers say watch the bee nests. If they're on the ground you'll have a mild winter, and high up, a bad winter.

Mike, At around 300,000 we don't have a large deer herd compaired to some states, but we do have some big ones. I'm sure I'll get the chance to show you before they drop.

This buck came in just now for an early lunch. Tim

100_3139 (Small).JPG

100_3134 (Small).JPG

Hey Tim,

Thanks for not taking offense, and I understand what ya said about just leaving enough out to lure them in for pictures, etc ..

Just so everyone understands, this is a good article to read if you're inclined to feed the deer because you feel bad for them, struggling in the rough Winters.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/News_2004/News_2004_Q1/Dont_feed_deer_010504.htm

We're lucky here in our part of Connecticut to have deer, turkeys, foxes, coyotes, bears, and even an ocassional wandering moose who must have taken a wrong turn when he hit NY or something :p ...

Also I remember when I was a kid in the late 60's, early 70's the State came to my grandfather because we had a flock of around 25 wild turkeys. Now back then they were very scarce, and all efforts by the State to get the population to grow, failed. The only thing that worked was trapping them with those rocket nets, and re-locating them to other parts of the state.. It worked, cause there are a gazillion of them around now ... Us kids were mad at Gramps at the time for granting permission to have them trapped, we felt they were OUR turkeys, but Gramps said it was for the greater good .... and he was so right !!

Kenny

Hey, I'm from Maine, and my name is Tim. The only thing I care about is not hitting any deer or moose while I'm driving.

Did not see it coming Bakarooda!! Ouch!! lol:toothy7:

Here are pics of some does across the road from my house. They are in my parents' driveway. Sorry about the quality, I am taking the pics from my living room through 3 panes of somewhat smokey glass. About 2 weeks before rifle season started, the 8-point that chases these does was hit on the road.

Deer01.jpg

Deer02.jpg

Deer03.jpg

Everyone will think I am crazy!! But I am ready to see some snow.
PostalBGraham's picture sure does inspiring me to go out for a long
and quite walk with a camera.:-k

Thanks for sharing PostalBGraham:toothy7:

Now this is a great thread.. I live in east Orlando.. pretty industrious place, but I have seen a 6 point out behind my house, a little grey fox, countless rolly pollies (armadillo) and this little guy. wandered in and asked for a beer :lol: . apparently he likes cat food..and bud light

by the way, bakarooda, any measurements for making fender mount brackets for my 73 duster.. would make the commute a little more interseting.. :toothy7:

IMG00131 (Small).jpg

-
Back