Bucket seat back upholstery

-

4spdcuda66

Reaction score
I covered one of my 66 Cuda seat backs last night, my first try at bolstered type upholstery. I had to fight the listing wires quite a bit so I spaced on getting a photo of that part of the install. I started by gluing the fabric skirt to the new foam and taking measurements for the hog ring locations from the old foam. Once I had those marked, I used an ice pick to get an overall depth of the foam. Once I had those marked off, I chalked lines on the new foam where I cut the listing channels. You want to keep about 1/2 inch of material intact when you cut these, so I put depth measurements on a paint stick to check it. The toughest part was getting the listing wires hog ringed. It turned out O.K. but could probably be better. If any of you have experience with these or a more efficient or just plain better way to go about this job, please let me know, I have one more seat back and two seat bottoms to do yet!!!

old seat upholstery sm.jpg

seat foam sm.jpg

old back rest foam.jpg

ring location new foam.jpg

checking foam depth with pick.jpg

checking depth with stick.jpg

lines chalked.jpg

listing wires installed.jpg

covered seat back.jpg

Looks like you did a good job. I would be proud of the seat, and the next one will be easier and better. I would like to do mine when things warm up in the spring. Have a great day!

I say Job well dun :cheers:
I have never dun any upholstery work and send it out to be dun.
Looks like you have it down 8)Keep up the good work :cheers:

lookd like you did a good job! since i have neither the skill, cash, nor patience, i think i just got convinced to go for the vinthae procar seats! unless you wanna do mine lol.

Not all the listing wires have loops on the ends like the one in the pic. Most times when you see a wire poked through the seat bottom it is a traveling wire. If you find some without loops try to bend some. The wire material may be too hard to bend without breaking unless a torch is used. Daisy chain the hog rings as nessesary. I think 66 had 1 hog ring through the end loops and 2 chained in the field. Or was it 2 and 3. Anyway...Looks like you have it going on though and it gets easier with experience. The toughest part for me is always bench seat bottoms. I like to refurbish the batting. Then the skin fits tight as a banjo string.

Not all the listing wires have loops on the ends like the one in the pic. Most times when you see a wire poked through the seat bottom it is a traveling wire. If you find some without loops try to bend some. The wire material may be too hard to bend without breaking unless a torch is used. Daisy chain the hog rings as nessesary. I think 66 had 1 hog ring through the end loops and 2 chained in the field. Or was it 2 and 3. Anyway...Looks like you have it going on though and it gets easier with experience. The toughest part for me is always bench seat bottoms. I like to refurbish the batting. Then the skin fits tight as a banjo string.
Thanks, I didn't think to hog ring those loops together. I'll try it on the next one to compare, I hope I don't have to take it all apart and redo it!! lol

I know this is unconventional thinking but I have done many seats…….

I do not use hog rings. I use zip ties. They allow you to loosely attach the fabric to the seat and evenly pull it down.

I have never had an issue with this process in the short term or the long run.

I know this is unconventional thinking but I have done many seats…….

I do not use hog rings. I use zip ties. They allow you to loosely attach the fabric to the seat and evenly pull it down.

I have never had an issue with this process in the short term or the long run.
Thanks for the tip, I'll experiment with that.

Give it a try. Another nice thing about zip ties is that you don't need to compress things to get them on…… Also, if something is lose and you want to add more padding they are easy to cut, unlike hog rings that can be a pain to remove.

-
Back