budget timing set for 273 daily driver ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Whats a decent timing set for a almost stock 273 daily driver (not going to be raced) . I was going to get a summit " true roller" $ 39.00. As much as I want to save money/ I don't want to do this twice. ( its not that much fun to do )
Also I read somewhere, that retarding the timing set 4* it with improve lowend power and gas mileage... Anybody ?

No. Advancing cam timing gives increased low end torque, and , maybe, depending on the "twitchyness" of your throttle foot, increased mileage. $39 is a pretty good price, assuming its a double roller set.

No. Advancing cam timing gives increased low end torque, and , maybe, depending on the "twitchyness" of your throttle foot, increased mileage. $39 is a pretty good price, assuming its a double roller set.

Yeah it is a double roller " true roller" chain set. Because of the price line j just wondering if it would be any good. Summit has there stuff made by some big name company and rebrands it.
You seem to know a lot about 273s . Have you every set, the timing set@ 4* Advanced? If so was it worth doing ? I've always went straight up.

Changing the centerline of the cam ( cam timing) can add low end torque at the expense of high end power. I do not have any experience with this on a 273. But be careful as advance and retard can get confusing when dealing with cam centerline.

That's the thing..........without knowing where you started from, you don't know where you are going. Just arbitrarily changing cam timing might be a mistake.

Changing the centerline of the cam ( cam timing) can add low end torque at the expense of high end power. I do not have any experience with this on a 273. But be careful as advance
and retard can get confusing when dealing with cam centerline.

Yes sir, I advanced mine a few degrees and it doesn't like to rev much past 4500 rpm. I don't really need to take it past that anyway and it does run good up to that point but I will change it back if I get the chance. tmm

Yes sir, I advanced mine a few degrees and it doesn't like to rev much past 4500 rpm. I don't really need to take it past that anyway and it does run good up to that point but I will change it back if I get the chance. tmm

That what I needed to hear. I don't run a lot of RPM either, but sounds like advancing is not worth it ( for a stockish engine)

-
Back