Building a 273

-
All seem very pricey. Another reason to build a 318.....:-(

What rings are you 273 builders using?
I'm using Total Seal. Modern style ring pack with thinner top and 2nd rings. They ain't cheap, but will work well for the type motor I'm building. 65 block I got from a member here, .030 over with forged flat tops at zero deck, Bullet hydraulic roller with .447 lift on both sides, 302 heads with 1.88 intake valves and a little pocket porting. Gonna flip a coin on a Weiand 8007 and an Edelbrock D4B. MP ignition, and Dougs D450's. Not too wild of a motor, but enough to make my 65 Barracuda get out of its own way!
:steering:

I'm using Total Seal. Modern style ring pack with thinner top and 2nd rings. They ain't cheap, but will work well for the type motor I'm building. 65 block I got from a member here, .030 over with forged flat tops at zero deck, Bullet hydraulic roller with .447 lift on both sides, 302 heads with 1.88 intake valves and a little pocket porting. Gonna flip a coin on a Weiand 8007 and an Edelbrock D4B. MP ignition, and Dougs D450's. Not too wild of a motor, but enough to make my 65 Barracuda get out of its own way!
Out of curiosity, are you planning on modifying the D4B to work with the 302 heads?

Hi,
im building a 1969 273 with a 904 automatic trans for my 2 door 1949 Plymouth.
its a stock 2 barrel carb i believe 180-190 horsepower. Me and my uncle want to build it to the super commando specs ranking in at 275 horsepower but trying to push it up to 300 horsepower. I acquired a '65 Commando intake #2465726

View attachment 1715959407

View attachment 1715959407 , Im not sure if that will fit on a '69 block. I know i could use the Edelbrock LD4B intake but would like to see if i can use the '65 commando intake. Also have a '64 8 3/4 rear end for the Plymouth, should bolt right in, its an inch bigger than original rear end. Just wanted to see anyone else's input on this build and get any other opinions and options for it. thanks!

View attachment 1715959408

View attachment 1715959409
The 273 is a fine Little Engine but if you want the power you're aiming for you could do it easier with a bigger bore like a 318 and no one would ever know it was a 318 cuz the block dimensionally is the same size outside of the cylinder bore...n why not a 360, because the 318 blocks can be had for free many times as are the 273's. The iron intake as far as airflow goes is utterly a pos and heavy. Get a dual plane intake for better low end power and all around better performance. As for what heads to use if you go to 302 heads and don't just use the 273 head which is already a good head you'll find you need a specific amount of work and it's not cheap to make that head perform to its potential. You could just as easily have your closed chamber 273 heads worked and do a little bowl blending to them and way less chamber massaging and be done and have a great flowing head for what it is. Now in regards to heads and power in general...if you were to go to a 318 bore you would open the door to a magnum head which flows way better than all of those little heads including the 302 and then your power goal will be there and then some. Only catch is you need to figure this out before you start buying intake manifolds ,pistons and all this other crap.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, are you planning on modifying the D4B to work with the 302 heads?
If I end up using that one, it won't need to be modified. I had it on a 318 in a 71 Challenger years ago and it fit just fine. The bolt holes got ratted out enough to fit way before I ever got it. I'm leaning more towards the Weiand anyway, because it's a spread bore intake and I'm probably gonna use a 72 Thermoquad I got from @GTX JOHN .

You're doing nothing but leaving torque and power on the table, messing with the 273. For what you'll spend on the 273 reciprocating assembly you could easily buy a 360 stroker crank and pistons and build a 408. Better yet do it to a late model magnum engine. You'll end up with a 400-450 HP engine instead of a (maybe) 300 HP engine. You can then just tell people it's a 273 :D

You're doing nothing but leaving torque and power on the table, messing with the 273. For what you'll spend on the 273 reciprocating assembly you could easily buy a 360 stroker crank and pistons and build a 408. Better yet do it to a late model magnum engine. You'll end up with a 400-450 HP engine instead of a (maybe) 300 HP engine. You can then just tell people it's a 273 :D

I never cared for a 360, scrapped or sold all I had. I don't need to spend the money for a stroker anything to go fast. Another answer to a question never asked. Put a stupid 360 in it...

I never cared for a 360, scrapped or sold all I had. I don't need to spend the money for a stroker anything to go fast. Another answer to a question never asked. Put a stupid 360 in it...
Hmmm. Ok, to each his own :thumbsup:

I am really thinking of putting a 360 magnum from a 1997 Ram into my 65 Barracuda. Add a comp cam and headers

Hi,
its a stock 2 barrel carb i believe 180-190 horsepower. Me and my uncle want to build it to the super commando specs ranking in at 275 horsepower but trying to push it up to 300 horsepower. I acquired a '65 Commando intake #2465726

View attachment 1715959407 View attachment 1715959407 , Im not sure if that will fit on a '69 block. I know i could use the Edelbrock LD4B intake but would like to see if i can use the '65 commando intake. Also have a '64 8 3/4 rear end for the Plymouth, should bolt right in, its an inch bigger than original rear end. Just wanted to see anyone else's input on this build and get any other opinions and options for it. thanks!

A 318 would not only be cheaper to build but would be easier to get the power that you are looking for.

Can you post part numbers for the pistons and rings? Only pistons and rings I can find are from Egge.

Can you post part numbers for the pistons and rings? Only pistons and rings I can find are from Egge.
They were custom pistons by Auto Tec

P1010001.JPG

P1010003.JPG

Their pistons are L2222. Their online catalog is a pdf so it is a little hard to navigate.

1670252619554.png

1670252735403.png

The pics that @66fs posted are what I used. They are custom forged pistons from Race Tec. As of right now, there are only 3 sets of them in the world. My two sets and Dan's set.

I have the ring box with the part number at home. I'm at the beach right now, or I'd post a pic of the ring box. They were customs from Total Seal. If you decide to get some of the Race Tec pistons like ours, shoot me a PM after you order them and I will give you the part and order numbers for the rings.
:thumbsup:

The pics that @66fs posted are what I used. They are custom forged pistons from Race Tec. As of right now, there are only 3 sets of them in the world. My two sets and Dan's set.

I have the ring box with the part number at home. I'm at the beach right now, or I'd post a pic of the ring box. They were customs from Total Seal. If you decide to get some of the Race Tec pistons like ours, shoot me a PM after you order them and I will give you the part and order numbers for the rings.
:thumbsup:
Thanks. Definitely going to call them this week, but my family CFO says I have to wait until after New Years to order them.

Hi,

View attachment 1715959407

View attachment 1715959407 , Im not sure if that will fit on a '69 block. I know i could use the Edelbrock LD4B intake but would like to see if i can use the '65 commando intake. Also have a '64 8 3/4 rear end for the Plymouth, should bolt right in, its an inch bigger than original rear end. Just wanted to see anyone else's input on this build and get any other opinions and options for it. thanks!

You probably have this info already but just in case I'll post them. When I inherited my uncles '65 Formula S I also got all his Hot Rod magazines (complete up to '74 or so) and a lot of white paper from MOPAR. Clearly he was going to drag race the car, obvious by all the paperwork he'd collected. every now and then I check in to read up on the 273 as I'm going to rebuild with the original 27, 000 mile engine or the '66 S engine that he had stashed in his barn. Always learn something here as I'm more into old Fords and Chevys.
By the way, somewhere in this paperwork I've seen the term Super Commando 273 used but can't find it right this second but I did remember this formula for the 275 hp version.

Good luck!

we're pretty close, I'm in Long Beach and my aunt lives in San Pedro.

Sorry for the phone pics, my scanner took a dump.
fullsizeoutput_6b3f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6b40.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6b42.jpeg

I did a 273 for my 65 barracuda in 2009. It had new pistons in it already when I got it. They came out to 7.8 to 1 with a fel pro gasket. I worked at a shop so I cut 40 off the heads and 45 off the block to get 8.9. I didn't have much money, but I shouldve just bought egge pistons. Better yet, I should've just put a 360 in it. It still runs great with a small solid cam and a stock 65 4 barrel intake. But it's definitely not fast. With 3.55 gears in it, it was better, but still wouldn't burn both tires. It's a nice little cruiser though, needs to be above 3k rpm for any torque.

I believe the factory Commando 273 pistons provide a higher compression than the currently available Egge piston replacement. Either a shorter dome or a varied piston pin height would be the reason. I ran the TRW forged Commando piston replacements (I used .060 overbore which works out to 282 cubic inches) back in the '70's which advertised the same factory 10.5:1 compression rating. Base on E.T. and MPH on the quarter mile (12.72 @ 108 and 3150# with driver) the horsepower works out to be about 305. Edit: 4.56 rear end

65 Valiant  moter head on shot.jpg

Last edited:
I did a 273 for my 65 barracuda in 2009. It had new pistons in it already when I got it. They came out to 7.8 to 1 with a fel pro gasket. I worked at a shop so I cut 40 off the heads and 45 off the block to get 8.9. I didn't have much money, but I shouldve just bought egge pistons. Better yet, I should've just put a 360 in it. It still runs great with a small solid cam and a stock 65 4 barrel intake. But it's definitely not fast. With 3.55 gears in it, it was better, but still wouldn't burn both tires. It's a nice little cruiser though, needs to be above 3k rpm for any torque.
If I was to build a 273 would use 4.10 as a minimum, smaller engine need more gear,
running 3.55 behind a 273 is like running 2.76 behind a 360, 3.55 is a compromised gearing for a 360 a 273 would need 4.56 to have similar torque to the ground as a similar powered 360.

Why one of my signature tagline is "If your willing to gear it build it if not build a larger displacement, Or take solace in your compromises."

If I was to build a 273 would use 4.10 as a minimum, smaller engine need more gear,
running 3.55 behind a 273 is like running 2.76 behind a 360, 3.55 is a compromised gearing for a 360 a 273 would need 4.56 to have similar torque to the ground as a similar powered 360.

Why one of my signature tagline is "If your willing to gear it build it if not build a larger displacement, Or take solace in your compromises."
Quick is torque, Fast is rpm. Sounds like Babyblue66 wants quick. 3,000 rpm is where most good 273's and 340's come into their power band.

-
Back