Building a new 505 With Callies / Mopar Performance Block

-

SMCARNUT

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Building a new 505. Damn is that block Nice!
New Callies / Mopar Performance block.

I will be posting from time to time as the build progresses.

20230922_163500.jpg

20230922_163506.jpg

20230922_163510.jpg

20230922_163515.jpg

20230922_163541.jpg

20230922_163605.jpg

20230922_163616.jpg

20230922_163635.jpg

20230922_173347.jpg

20230922_173411.jpg

Should be a fun winter project. Parts and pieces are coming in little by little as funds are now getting low!

Drag race only. Hoping for some low to mid 9 second passes next season fingers crossed. Prices have gone up so much in the last couple of years my budget is already shot!

What car is it going in and what kind of suspension does it have ? What are your power expectations ?

**** Steve, that's going make some great power.
800hp ???

It's going in my 1970 Duster drag car. Built 727 with a trans brake. The car has a Strange Dana 60 4.30 gear with ladder bars and coil overs. Big tire car has 14-32 rear tire with room for more if needed.
Aftermarket front suspension. Really just a typical bracket car. Hoping for low to mid 9's.

Man, that's a nice looking block ! Did you have it on order ? How long to get it ? What kind of air do those heads move ? My buddy's 3400 lb. RoadRunner went 9.29 with B-1 heads and short shifting it @ 6200

Took two weeks to get the block ordered it through Roseville Moparts in Michigan.
I thought the block was going to have studs and it came with bolts. Block is at machine shop now I will call them on Monday to see what they think about bolts versus studs. Valley Performance in Michigan is doing the machining work as the block was ordered as a bore size of 4.3150 and now it will be 4.350. They are boring and honing the block with torque plates, installing the cam bearings, checking the deck height (just so I know if it is exactly at 10.72) and finish honing lifter bores. They are also finish cleaning the block for final assembly. Going with a Molnar 4.250 stroke crank, Molnar 7.1 rods (chevy journal size) and Icon flat top pistons. The Trickflow 270 heads will most likely be the limiting factor on the HP of this engine. I was looking at Indy 440-1 completely ported set of heads but it I chose the 270's due to cost and availability also, I just wanted to try them.

That’s a nice collection of parts and you will have no trouble running the times you want with the right converter. Very well thought out and I love the 4.30 rear gear. 1050-1150 dominator I’m guessing. It’s great that these block are finally out there and so much better than concrete and girdles. Good luck with your build. Gonna be a fun winter project.

Thanks, pittsburgracer.
1050 carb is what I am leaning towards. I have not decided to go gas or alcohol, I keep going back and forth pros and cons. Fingers crossed that I get it finished for next season. Building a completely new motor is costing more than I planned. I am trying to do everything with good parts and keep it affordable is the trick!

Thanks, pittsburgracer.
1050 carb is what I am leaning towards. I have not decided to go gas or alcohol, I keep going back and forth pros and cons. Fingers crossed that I get it finished for next season. Building a completely new motor is costing more than I planned. I am trying to do everything with good parts and keep it affordable is the trick!

Coming from a guy that said I would NEVER run alcohol if it’s high compression and you don’t have a carb yet I would go alcohol. APD in Ohio can get you close and if you need any help just ask. I don’t even run my compression numbers anymore because it doesn’t matter.

This will be fun to watch….. I’m betting you could be well into the 9s with a combo that’s easy on parts.

Just got off the phone with Callies and their Technical Director said don't worry about the bolts unless you plan to exceed 1500 horsepower then you may want studs!

-
Back