Building a new 505 With Callies / Mopar Performance Block

-
They are nice but probably way past my budget. I ran a used Indy cover for years. Nice and stiff and I set my cam thrust with a cam button.
I run a modified stock junk turd. Until solid roller time, I'll get a milodon gear drive and it's cover .
That's WAYYYYY past my budget. That will be a next year after I get a code from you purchase lol

I wanted a belt or gear drive too but that wasn't in my budget. Wish my timing chain set would get here so I can start working on this motor again.

Finally, the timing chain and gears arrived now that I have my Duster on my lift. Oh well next week's project.

20231219_144939.jpg

20231219_144953.jpg

Parts are coming in little by little hopefully some more progress in the next couple of weeks. Basically, short block is together. Crank, rods and pistons.
Went to degree in camshaft and the timing chain gear set was mis-boxed. Correct part number incorrect parts. I should be postings some more pictures next week.

Parts are coming in little by little hopefully some more progress in the next couple of weeks. Basically, short block is together. Crank, rods and pistons.
Went to degree in camshaft and the timing chain gear set was mis-boxed. Correct part number incorrect parts. I should be postings some more pictures next week.
Oh man, unfortunately that's becoming way to common, at work I've gotten valves, springs, and other parts, wrong parts correct box. It's pretty annoying.
Boy, I really wish I would have went with tf 270s.
It's basically what a standard port should be for anything over 471 cubes up to 512 in my opinion.

Oh man, unfortunately that's becoming way to common, at work I've gotten valves, springs, and other parts, wrong parts correct box. It's pretty annoying.
Boy, I really wish I would have went with tf 270s.
It's basically what a standard port should be for anything over 471 cubes up to 512 in my opinion.
Or any race motor that can rev enough to use them! I think of the 270 on a 440 as similar ro a 240 on a 383,,,,,,,, or a max wedge head on a 426,,,,,,,,,

Or any race motor that can rev enough to use them! I think of the 270 on a 440 as similar ro a 240 on a 383,,,,,,,, or a max wedge head on a 426,,,,,,,,,
Yeah you're right

Nice looking parts. Thanks for buying one of my billet covers. Those have been a popular item for many years.
Compression ratio about 12.5 with those flat top pistons and uncut heads? I'll guess 750 hp at 6800 rpm with a cast intake, but that combo can make more power with some tweaks.
You might end up needing more lift to hit 800 hp, but you'll just have to give it a whirl.
Have you picked out the rocker arms yet? If not, do you have room for 1.70 rockers? You would need to mock things up and check valve to piston. You should be able to get 2.00 installed height with those heads so you should be able to handle 0.800 lift.
I haven't run one of the max wedge Trick Flow intakes yet. I've heard they are pretty good.
That combo will probably work great with a 2 inch header. Something around 2 x 32 with a 4 x 16 collector if that will fit in the car.
Are you going to be able to get it on a dyno before it goes in the car?

Andy
I am going to measure the piston to deck clearance to verify compression ratio this week. When the block was machined and the deck height verified at 10.72", I left the deck height at 10.72. That puts the compression ratio at 12.3-1 with an .039 gasket.
The headers are going to be custom made I was planning on a 2" to 2 1/8" step headers with a 4" collector. I am hoping we can get the tubes all equal length at 32". I am planning to dyno the motor but after the headers are built, I would like to use my headers for the car on the dyno if possible.
I am going to degree the cam hopefully next week so I can check the valve to piston clearance. I have Harland Sharp rockers that are 1.5 ratio right now for the mockup test. Then I can go from there. Lack of parts availability has been a stumbling block so far. Hopefully I will be posting some pictures and status updates in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the help.

The cam was selected based on using 1.5 RR and wanting to use the springs that the heads are supplied with.
A higher RR(more lift) will warrant a different spring package.

I’m not sure how the “E” HS rockers measure, but all the standard 1.5’s I’ve measured have checked out pretty close to 1.55 with full spring load.

Supplied springs are rated for .700” lift.

The cam was selected based on using 1.5 RR and wanting to use the springs that the heads are supplied with.
A higher RR(more lift) will warrant a different spring package.

I’m not sure how the “E” HS rockers measure, but all the standard 1.5’s I’ve measured have checked out pretty close to 1.55 with full spring load.

Supplied springs are rated for .700” lift.
PRH
Yes, the cam was ordered intending to use the 1.5 rockers and the supplied spring. I am a little worried after talking to you about the spring supplied on the head from Trickflow. I will be in touch to discuss options. I want to check my valve to piston clearance first before making any changes.
Thanks for your help.

I finally finished up a few projects and today was the day to start working on my engine again the parts are slowly trickling in. I wanted to degree in the camshaft so I could get ready to check my valve to piston clearance. I got the now correct timing chain and gearset and went to bolt the top cam gear onto the camshaft and in my new ARP cam bolt kit the bolts are 3/8-16 but my camshaft is 3/8-24. Called Comp Cams (waited on ignore for 35 minutes) and gave them my camshaft part number and they said that all 3 bolt Mopar cams are 3/8-16 and they do not tap them 3/8-24 Comp does not even offer a bolt 3/8-24. So basically, they were no help at all. (Customer support of performance parts is at an all-time low in my opinion!) So now I had to order some ARP 3/8-24 bolts from Summit hopefully they will be here tomorrow afternoon. So now I move onto my Trickflow 270 heads to remove the valve springs on number 1 cylinder to install my checking springs and just for the hell of it I install my Harland Sharp rocker arms and shafts to see how they fit and low and behold no side clearance with the supplied .031 shims and .700 spacers. Literally .000 to .002 clearance on the first head and head number two about the same. So now I am 0 for 3 today. I call Harland Sharp because they are fairly local to me and because their catalog does not show a thinner shim, .031 is the smallest and the next size down spacer is .485. I leave a message and figure they probably would never call me back. At this point I would have to machine my spacers down to make clearance for the rocker arms. I started calling around to local machine shops and of course everyone is swamped, and they could not machine my spacers for at least two weeks. So now I am 0-4. Cleaned up tools and etc for the day. Gunna have a cold one or two at this point and I do not normally drink but this new motor is starting to drive me to drink. Well to my surprise Harland Sharp called me back around 4:30 eastern time and said they would send me .015 shims (.015 are not in the catalog you must call them if you need them) for my rocker arms free of charge and they would ship them free of charge. WTF a company that actually called me back and cares about customer service and wants repeat customers. Well, my faith in customer service is definitely looking a little better than it was a few hours ago. Hopefully next week I will have some more updates.

Sorry about the rant.
Steve

I finally finished up a few projects and today was the day to start working on my engine again the parts are slowly trickling in. I wanted to degree in the camshaft so I could get ready to check my valve to piston clearance. I got the now correct timing chain and gearset and went to bolt the top cam gear onto the camshaft and in my new ARP cam bolt kit the bolts are 3/8-16 but my camshaft is 3/8-24. Called Comp Cams (waited on ignore for 35 minutes) and gave them my camshaft part number and they said that all 3 bolt Mopar cams are 3/8-16 and they do not tap them 3/8-24 Comp does not even offer a bolt 3/8-24. So basically, they were no help at all. (Customer support of performance parts is at an all-time low in my opinion!) So now I had to order some ARP 3/8-24 bolts from Summit hopefully they will be here tomorrow afternoon. So now I move onto my Trickflow 270 heads to remove the valve springs on number 1 cylinder to install my checking springs and just for the hell of it I install my Harland Sharp rocker arms and shafts to see how they fit and low and behold no side clearance with the supplied .031 shims and .700 spacers. Literally .000 to .002 clearance on the first head and head number two about the same. So now I am 0 for 3 today. I call Harland Sharp because they are fairly local to me and because their catalog does not show a thinner shim, .031 is the smallest and the next size down spacer is .485. I leave a message and figure they probably would never call me back. At this point I would have to machine my spacers down to make clearance for the rocker arms. I started calling around to local machine shops and of course everyone is swamped, and they could not machine my spacers for at least two weeks. So now I am 0-4. Cleaned up tools and etc for the day. Gunna have a cold one or two at this point and I do not normally drink but this new motor is starting to drive me to drink. Well to my surprise Harland Sharp called me back around 4:30 eastern time and said they would send me .015 shims (.015 are not in the catalog you must call them if you need them) for my rocker arms free of charge and they would ship them free of charge. WTF a company that actually called me back and cares about customer service and wants repeat customers. Well, my faith in customer service is definitely looking a little better than it was a few hours ago. Hopefully next week I will have some more updates.

Sorry about the rant.
Steve
Jeez Steve, I hope you have some better luck soon.

At least you'll be able to make them work with thinner shims. If you buy the Comp rocker arms the heads need to be machined. We machine most of the Trick Flow heads for side clearance. Trick Flow went a little crazy adding material to the stands and a lot of rocker arms rub or stick in between the stands on those heads.

At least you'll be able to make them work with thinner shims. If you buy the Comp rocker arms the heads need to be machined. We machine most of the Trick Flow heads for side clearance. Trick Flow went a little crazy adding material to the stands and a lot of rocker arms rub or stick in between the stands on those heads.
"On those heads" , do you mean the 270's specifically or both 240 & 270 ?

If you need clearance can you sand the ends of the spacers? There are ways to effectively do this. I used a steel plate and 500 grit to hand sand an oil pump body down from .004 to .0015 end clearance. It takes a while, and care must be taken to do it evenly, so you need a caliper to keep track of how much and how even your progress is. On bolts, a good hardware store ought to have what you need, or an industrial supply house. This stuff may be a pain in the butt, but it seperates the men from the boys! Hang in there, this deal is going to rock!

I have a set of 240's here for a friends 505 street motor build and my 270's both sets are tight. Very little if any side clearance. Hopefully the shims will work if not both sets of heads will be back to the machine shop. Also, I went to the local supply house all they had was normal hex head bolts. I bought three so I could continue on my motor this weekend in case the ARP do not come in tomorrow. I did notice that the hex head bolts would interfere with the hole for the cam button.

Last edited:
I have a set of 240's here for a friends 505 street motor build and my 270's both sets are tight. Very little if any side clearance. Hopefully the shims will work if not both sets of heads will be back to the machine shop.
I think I better just give mine a check again too. I'm not sure I really remember doing that.

Better safe than sorry what rocker arms are you using. The set I have here is the Harland Sharp S70015KE.
I'd have to double check, but I know they're the part number trickflow recommended for the 240s, do the 270s use the same rockers ?

Yes, the 240 and 270 do use same parts for 1.5 or 1.6 rockers. I believe they fit some of the Edelbrock heads too if my memory still works.

Yes, the 240 and 270 do use same parts for 1.5 or 1.6 rockers. I believe they fit some of the Edelbrock heads too if my memory still works.
Great, that's good news for the future if I can afford to step up to the 270s.

-
Back