Building a new 505 With Callies / Mopar Performance Block

-
I have a set of 240's here for a friends 505 street motor build and my 270's both sets are tight. Very little if any side clearance. Hopefully the shims will work if not both sets of heads will be back to the machine shop. Also, I went to the local supply house all they had was normal hex head bolts. I bought three so I could continue on my motor this weekend in case the ARP do not come in tomorrow. I did notice that the hex head bolts would interfere with the hole for the cam button.
Correct, you'll most likely need to find Torx drive bolts that have a round head. Same kind of bolts that Jesel uses in some of their kits. Sometimes you can find an ARP bolt that will fit but usually the flange is too big. If you have a lathe you can turn down the ARP bolts to fit. We typically use a Torx head.

Correct, you'll most likely need to find Torx drive bolts that have a round head. Same kind of bolts that Jesel uses in some of their kits. Sometimes you can find an ARP bolt that will fit but usually the flange is too big. If you have a lathe you can turn down the ARP bolts to fit. We typically use a Torx head.
That's what I have done...chuck it in a lathe and cut the flange down!

Andy
I am going to measure the piston to deck clearance to verify compression ratio this week. When the block was machined and the deck height verified at 10.72", I left the deck height at 10.72. That puts the compression ratio at 12.3-1 with an .039 gasket.
The headers are going to be custom made I was planning on a 2" to 2 1/8" step headers with a 4" collector. I am hoping we can get the tubes all equal length at 32". I am planning to dyno the motor but after the headers are built, I would like to use my headers for the car on the dyno if possible.
I am going to degree the cam hopefully next week so I can check the valve to piston clearance. I have Harland Sharp rockers that are 1.5 ratio right now for the mockup test. Then I can go from there. Lack of parts availability has been a stumbling block so far. Hopefully I will be posting some pictures and status updates in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the help.
Look at Vizard's video on proper tube lengths. Don't sweat the lengths being equal so much you sweat having gentle radius, also sweat the order the tubes are in the collector. Depending on the underhood room available, you could probably just do 2.125 into a 3.5" collector until 900HP. ALSO sweat that S.plug access is easy!

101-0125_IMG.JPG

ip32 014.jpg

IMG_0745.JPG

I finally finished up a few projects and today was the day to start working on my engine again the parts are slowly trickling in. I wanted to degree in the camshaft so I could get ready to check my valve to piston clearance. I got the now correct timing chain and gearset and went to bolt the top cam gear onto the camshaft and in my new ARP cam bolt kit the bolts are 3/8-16 but my camshaft is 3/8-24. Called Comp Cams (waited on ignore for 35 minutes) and gave them my camshaft part number and they said that all 3 bolt Mopar cams are 3/8-16 and they do not tap them 3/8-24 Comp does not even offer a bolt 3/8-24. So basically, they were no help at all. (Customer support of performance parts is at an all-time low in my opinion!) So now I had to order some ARP 3/8-24 bolts from Summit hopefully they will be here tomorrow afternoon. So now I move onto my Trickflow 270 heads to remove the valve springs on number 1 cylinder to install my checking springs and just for the hell of it I install my Harland Sharp rocker arms and shafts to see how they fit and low and behold no side clearance with the supplied .031 shims and .700 spacers. Literally .000 to .002 clearance on the first head and head number two about the same. So now I am 0 for 3 today. I call Harland Sharp because they are fairly local to me and because their catalog does not show a thinner shim, .031 is the smallest and the next size down spacer is .485. I leave a message and figure they probably would never call me back. At this point I would have to machine my spacers down to make clearance for the rocker arms. I started calling around to local machine shops and of course everyone is swamped, and they could not machine my spacers for at least two weeks. So now I am 0-4. Cleaned up tools and etc for the day. Gunna have a cold one or two at this point and I do not normally drink but this new motor is starting to drive me to drink. Well to my surprise Harland Sharp called me back around 4:30 eastern time and said they would send me .015 shims (.015 are not in the catalog you must call them if you need them) for my rocker arms free of charge and they would ship them free of charge. WTF a company that actually called me back and cares about customer service and wants repeat customers. Well, my faith in customer service is definitely looking a little better than it was a few hours ago. Hopefully next week I will have some more updates.

Sorry about the rant.
Steve
Ranting is ok with me if it helps you vent and persevere! This is just typical new engine building adversity but, it is good that you are chronicling it for many new to see details that should go into a build. I mostly source McMasterCarr and "Allens" hardware out of texas? for misc hardware.

Harland Sharp earned a customer for life when they helped me out of a situation which wasn’t even their fault. Long story short, broke a shaft in half and killed 4 rockers. Called HS and they sent me everything I needed to get it fixed.

Harland Sharp earned a customer for life when they helped me out of a situation which wasn’t even their fault. Long story short, broke a shaft in half and killed 4 rockers. Called HS and they sent me everything I needed to get it fixed.
When my harland sharp rocker shafts broke my original builder blamed me for the bolts I gave him. ( I didn't bring him any bolts for them)

I had a little extra time today. I just measured my piston to deck clearance it is in the hole .010. If I did my math correct that puts me at 11.93-1. Please correct me if I am wrong.

10.72 deck height, 4.350 bore, 4.250 stroke, 7.100 rod length, 78cc head, +4.50 piston cc, .039 gasket (4.410 bore).

Has anyone actually cc'd a Trickflow 270 head to see if they measure as advertised at 78cc? I was thinking about measuring one just to see if they are true at 78cc.

Next, I will need to degree the cam and check my valve to piston clearance hopefully next week as this weekend if filling up quickly.

I had a little extra time today. I just measured my piston to deck clearance it is in the hole .010. If I did my math correct that puts me at 11.93-1. Please correct me if I am wrong.

10.72 deck height, 4.350 bore, 4.250 stroke, 7.100 rod length, 78cc head, +4.50 piston cc, .039 gasket (4.410 bore).

Has anyone actually cc'd a Trickflow 270 head to see if they measure as advertised at 78cc? I was thinking about measuring one just to see if they are true at 78cc.

Next, I will need to degree the cam and check my valve to piston clearance hopefully next week as this weekend if filling up quickly.
I measured 1,7,2,8 on my heads before I surfaced .080 they all measured very very close to 78cc's

I measured 1,7,2,8 on my heads before I surfaced .080 they all measured very very close to 78cc's
Thanks, I will use 78cc for my calculations. Did you check any after you surfaced your head to see what the cc came out to?

Thanks, I will use 78cc for my calculations. Did you check any after you surfaced your head to see what the cc came out to?
65 cc's & 12.9:1 with flat top +7 cc reliefs.
My pistons are+.010 and a .051 head gasket

I just measured my piston to deck clearance it is in the hole .010. If I did my math correct that puts me at 11.93-1. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I use the Diamond Racing Pistons calculator because it’s quick and simple. Shows 11.78 to 1 compression ratio, so you are probably right on your numbers.
Do you know how far down is the 1st ring from the piston crown? Only makes a tiny difference but I could not find it listed for the Icon pistons so I guessed .310” which may be off a little.
Did you verify the piston volume? At 4.5cc the notches must not be really deep.

IMO the motor would be better served lifting from only the center main vs the short strap bridle rig in the opening pic.
Nice motor BTW.

I get 11.82:1 cr.

1130.6 (total)
/95.6 (total minus swept)
——————

If you milled the heads to 72cc, it would put you just over 12.5:1

Last edited:
I use the Diamond Racing Pistons calculator because it’s quick and simple. Shows 11.78 to 1 compression ratio, so you are probably right on your numbers.
Do you know how far down is the 1st ring from the piston crown? Only makes a tiny difference but I could not find it listed for the Icon pistons so I guessed .310” which may be off a little.
Did you verify the piston volume? At 4.5cc the notches must not be really deep.
Damn I forgot to about that calculation. I must be going brain dead Icon catalog told me .260 that is what I used for calculations this time and came up with 11.81-1.
Hopefully I have the valve to piston clearance to mill the head. Find out next week. Notches are not very deep.
Thanks for the double check everyone.

20240126_191013.jpg

Parts did not show up for the other work I had scheduled today. That allowed me to do some more work on my engine today.
The cam bolts came in today so I installed them today I still have to have them machined so they will clear the cam button. At this point I decided to degree in the camshaft. The cam card wanted the center line @107. The cam checked out at 111.5 CL with timing gears on the "0". I advanced it to 107.5 CL using the advance +4 keyway. Rechecked and it came right in at 107.5 that is as close as I can get at this point. Next week I will check my valve to piston clearance.
Picture showing the 1 piston .010 in the hole. Another picture showing the piston stop I use to setup my degree wheel. Another couple of pictures showing the dial indicator that I used to degree the camshaft. Just for everyone's reference cam degrees at .050 before max lift was 65 and at .050 after max lift was 150. 150+65=215. 215 divided by 2 = 107.5. Hopefully these pictures may help someone in the future.

20240126_123644.jpg

20240126_184919.jpg

20240126_185151.jpg

20240126_184258.jpg

Parts did not show up for the other work I had scheduled today. That allowed me to do some more work on my engine today.
The cam bolts came in today so I installed them today I still have to have them machined so they will clear the cam button. At this point I decided to degree in the camshaft. The cam card wanted the center line @107. The cam checked out at 111.5 CL with timing gears on the "0". I advanced it to 107.5 CL using the advance +4 keyway. Rechecked and it came right in at 107.5 that is as close as I can get at this point. Next week I will check my valve to piston clearance.
Picture showing the 1 piston .010 in the hole. Another picture showing the piston stop I use to setup my degree wheel. Another couple of pictures showing the dial indicator that I used to degree the camshaft. Just for everyone's reference cam degrees at .050 before max lift was 65 and at .050 after max lift was 150. 150+65=215. 215 divided by 2 = 107.5. Hopefully these pictures may help someone in the future.

View attachment 1716197970

View attachment 1716197972

View attachment 1716197976

View attachment 1716197979
Looking good Steve

Took Andy's advice and dropped off both sets of heads @ machine shop on Saturday morning first thing. They milled all the rocker arm stands so that I can run the stock .047 shims. Machine shop did me a favor and I was able to pick them up late Saturday afternoon. So, the Trickflow 240's and 270's are now done. Hopefully the torx bolts will come in this week for my camshaft gear. Picture of the motor in the plastic bag is the street motor 505 with a solid flat tappet camshaft from Hughes and Trickflow 240 heads. This is one of my friends' motors 10.5-1 that we are waiting on parts to complete. I put the heads on this motor and test fit the hand ported M1 intake. Now back to my motor to start checking valve to piston clearance.

20240129_101741.jpg

20240129_112046.jpg

20240129_112112.jpg

Took Andy's advice and dropped off both sets of heads @ machine shop on Saturday morning first thing. They milled all the rocker arm stands so that I can run the stock .047 shims. Machine shop did me a favor and I was able to pick them up late Saturday afternoon. So, the Trickflow 240's and 270's are now done. Hopefully the torx bolts will come in this week for my camshaft gear. Picture of the motor in the plastic bag is the street motor 505 with a solid flat tappet camshaft from Hughes and Trickflow 240 heads. This is one of my friends' motors 10.5-1 that we are waiting on parts to complete. I put the heads on this motor and test fit the hand ported M1 intake. Now back to my motor to start checking valve to piston clearance.

View attachment 1716199168

View attachment 1716199169

View attachment 1716199170
What size cam is going in the 505 ?

In the street motor .576/.588 solid flat tappet. My cam is a solid roller .693/.677

STL4650BS.jpg

Exhaust valve to piston clearance at the tightest point is .215. I use a degree wheel when I and check the valve to piston clearance. I check valve to piston clearance every two degrees from 30 degrees before until thirty degrees after. I measured it with a dial indicator using checking springs. I really do not like using the clay method.
I have used both methods and prefer a dial indicator. Valve lash set at .020. Using a Felpro .039 setup head gasket. I will check the valve to piston clearance on the intake valve tomorrow.

20240129_145955.jpg

20240129_151808.jpg

20240129_172212.jpg

20240129_172225.jpg

20240129_172233.jpg

Exhaust valve to piston clearance at the tightest point is .215. I use a degree wheel when I and check the valve to piston clearance. I check valve to piston clearance every two degrees from 30 degrees before until thirty degrees after. I measured it with a dial indicator using checking springs. I really do not like using the clay method.
I have used both methods and prefer a dial indicator. Valve lash set at .020. Using a Felpro .039 setup head gasket. I will check the valve to piston clearance on the intake valve tomorrow.

View attachment 1716199367

View attachment 1716199368

View attachment 1716199369

View attachment 1716199370

View attachment 1716199371

You have way more clearance than what your measurements show.

-
Back