Building a new 505 With Callies / Mopar Performance Block

-
Exhaust valve to piston clearance at the tightest point is .215. I use a degree wheel when I and check the valve to piston clearance. I check valve to piston clearance every two degrees from 30 degrees before until thirty degrees after. I measured it with a dial indicator using checking springs. I really do not like using the clay method.
I have used both methods and prefer a dial indicator. Valve lash set at .020. Using a Felpro .039 setup head gasket. I will check the valve to piston clearance on the intake valve tomorrow.

View attachment 1716199367

View attachment 1716199368

View attachment 1716199369

View attachment 1716199370

View attachment 1716199371
Are you checking the radial valve clearance too? Curious how much it will have on those pistons in this combo.

I finally finished up a few projects and today was the day to start working on my engine again the parts are slowly trickling in. I wanted to degree in the camshaft so I could get ready to check my valve to piston clearance. I got the now correct timing chain and gearset and went to bolt the top cam gear onto the camshaft and in my new ARP cam bolt kit the bolts are 3/8-16 but my camshaft is 3/8-24. Called Comp Cams (waited on ignore for 35 minutes) and gave them my camshaft part number and they said that all 3 bolt Mopar cams are 3/8-16 and they do not tap them 3/8-24 Comp does not even offer a bolt 3/8-24. So basically, they were no help at all. (Customer support of performance parts is at an all-time low in my opinion!) So now I had to order some ARP 3/8-24 bolts from Summit hopefully they will be here tomorrow afternoon. So now I move onto my Trickflow 270 heads to remove the valve springs on number 1 cylinder to install my checking springs and just for the hell of it I install my Harland Sharp rocker arms and shafts to see how they fit and low and behold no side clearance with the supplied .031 shims and .700 spacers. Literally .000 to .002 clearance on the first head and head number two about the same. So now I am 0 for 3 today. I call Harland Sharp because they are fairly local to me and because their catalog does not show a thinner shim, .031 is the smallest and the next size down spacer is .485. I leave a message and figure they probably would never call me back. At this point I would have to machine my spacers down to make clearance for the rocker arms. I started calling around to local machine shops and of course everyone is swamped, and they could not machine my spacers for at least two weeks. So now I am 0-4. Cleaned up tools and etc for the day. Gunna have a cold one or two at this point and I do not normally drink but this new motor is starting to drive me to drink. Well to my surprise Harland Sharp called me back around 4:30 eastern time and said they would send me .015 shims (.015 are not in the catalog you must call them if you need them) for my rocker arms free of charge and they would ship them free of charge. WTF a company that actually called me back and cares about customer service and wants repeat customers. Well, my faith in customer service is definitely looking a little better than it was a few hours ago. Hopefully next week I will have some more updates.

Sorry about the rant.
Steve
I run HS on my W2s and they have been super helpfull and quick to respond / ship !

Should be good for roughly 600 power and 600 torque. We do a fair number of 505 big block with the 240 heads and they always make great power and torque. Really nice beasts for the street.
I would think more than 600/600 … I run a nearly identical cam in my 408 with W2s and it dynos at 490/490 with only 9.5:1 compression.
But maybe the extra cubes won’t make as much difference as I think ?

I just could not wait. lol
I just checked the intake valve to piston clearance and the closest I got was .170.

I have not checked the radial valve clearance. Wanted basic valve to piston numbers first.
my brother checks the radial first, (have to as we run .0030 clearance. It is a racing engine) The pockets are on the pistons (custom CP) are small side due to using them with a few different heads / valve sizes. He has a valve stem cut to a point, bolts the head on, then puts the stem through the guide to pips the piston top for each valve. He pulls the head, then checks the valve center to edge and the pip to side of pocket clearance. I learned how to fly cut them on the mill last week. 8 pistons and 32 pockets later…. Fun times. Still have the piston vise on the mill. I’ll post a pic tomorrow.

Blah Blah Blah. Will it do a burnout?

Ok, I'm jealous. You had me at the block. The web thickness is outstanding. What oiling are you thinking? Anything exotic like scavenge sump?

I am using a Milodon oiling system with a dual line swivel pickup. The oil pump is a Melling Hi volume with Milodon cover. (oiling system is on order since before Xmas the pan, windage tray, external oil pressure regulator, and pump have come in the rest of the parts are on back order until March). I am going to check the radial clearance on the valves today at some point.

my brother checks the radial first, (have to as we run .0030 clearance. It is a racing engine) The pockets are on the pistons (custom CP) are small side due to using them with a few different heads / valve sizes. He has a valve stem cut to a point, bolts the head on, then puts the stem through the guide to pips the piston top for each valve. He pulls the head, then checks the valve center to edge and the pip to side of pocket clearance. I learned how to fly cut them on the mill last week. 8 pistons and 32 pockets later…. Fun times. Still have the piston vise on the mill. I’ll post a pic tomorrow.
EXCELLENT work/method!

Are you checking the radial valve clearance too? Curious how much it will have on those pistons in this combo.
Good advice...I'd probably loosely bolt the head on without a gasket and go to zero lash and see how the radial 'imprints' some clay. I doubt your ICL will ever want to be lower than 108ish and the intake p2v will only get better further retarded.

I just could not wait. lol
I just checked the intake valve to piston clearance and the closest I got was .170.
As has been eluded to...with the real springs, you'll probably NET about .025" less lift. How does the sweep look? Have any pushrod interference? I usually trim the excess gasket out of the valley. What diameter and wall pushrod do you plan to use?

As has been eluded to...with the real springs, you'll probably NET about .025" less lift. How does the sweep look? Have any pushrod interference? I usually trim the excess gasket out of the valley. What diameter and wall pushrod do you plan to use?
The radial looks good. Approx .120. The sweep on the valve stems looks good. The picture did not turn out so good will try again later. I am going to call pushrod manufactures later this week it looks like from testing with my 5/16 checking pushrods that I will have room for 3/8 pushrods. But I want to ask them about wall thickness and 11/32 pushrods just to get their opinion. As of now I believe I would order 11/32 or 3/8 .120 wall pushrods. Pushrod length is 9.620 on the exhaust and 9.660 on the intake. I will have to check with pushrod manufacture as most only come in .025 or .050 lengths if my memory still works.

20240130_123353.jpg

The radial looks good. Approx .120. The sweep on the valve stems looks good. The picture did not turn out so good will try again later. I am going to call pushrod manufactures later this week it looks like from testing with my 5/16 checking pushrods that I will have room for 3/8 pushrods. But I want to ask them about wall thickness and 11/32 pushrods just to get their opinion. As of now I believe I would order 11/32 or 3/8 .120 wall pushrods. Pushrod length is 9.620 on the exhaust and 9.660 on the intake. I will have to check with pushrod manufacture as most only come in .025 or .050 lengths if my memory still works.

View attachment 1716199659

Your pushrods are over 9 5/8 long. That’s LONG. The minimum pushrod diameter should be 3/8.

Mark my words, every pushrod manufacturer will tell you their 5/16 stuff are more than plenty but they are dead wrong.

You can’t get a pushrod too big or too stiff. Engine Masters tested this. I learned it the hard way in the 1980’s.

Here is the piston vise and fly cutter on the mill and a piston where you can see the pip in the center of the pocket.

IMG_3497.jpeg

IMG_3498.jpeg

Your pushrods are over 9 5/8 long. That’s LONG. The minimum pushrod diameter should be 3/8.

Mark my words, every pushrod manufacturer will tell you their 5/16 stuff are more than plenty but they are dead wrong.

You can’t get a pushrod too big or too stiff. Engine Masters tested this. I learned it the hard way in the 1980’s.

Mine are tapered 7/16 on my 572.

Mine are tapered 7/16 on my 572.
What wall thicknesses are you running and what kind of spring pressure are you looking at? What brand of pushrods do you have?
I am looking at 3/8 .120 wall now. I am waiting till I cut my heads .040 before I order pushrods want to verify the length one more time before I order them.

What wall thicknesses are you running and what kind of spring pressure are you looking at? What brand of pushrods do you have?
I am looking at 3/8 .120 wall now. I am waiting till I cut my heads .040 before I order pushrods want to verify the length one more time before I order them.

I wish I could give you more info but that was over three years ago. I’ll try to look for the paperwork on my messy bench tomorrow. I know they were tapered 7/16 and expensive. I’m going to bet Trend.

The past few years, I've taken a liking to Manton! They were cheaper than my local Trend and QUICKER. I'd go right to one of their cheaper non-tapered 7/16". They use a longer end at the lifter to help for any clearance issues negating the need for a taper. I always have used a offset lifter seat on the intakes, that little bit really straightens the trajectory for my liking. Even with a centered lifter I'd bet any clearance needed would be minimal.

MANT440-1.jpg

Manton is good for pushrods, so is Smith Bros. I have about $3000 worth of used pushrods in the cabinet. I reuse them when possible or else I send them to Smith Bros to but cut to length and have new ends put on. Saves a lot of money if you can reuse existing pushrods.

I have decided to cut .040 off of the heads to get my compression back up to 12.5-1. I am also having them machine the intake surface also .048.
I figured since the oiling system parts will not be here until mid to late march might as well get them done now. After the heads come back, I will measure the pushrod length one more time before ordering.

I have decided to cut .040 off of the heads to get my compression back up to 12.5-1. I am also having them machine the intake surface also .048.
I figured since the oiling system parts will not be here until mid to late march might as well get them done now. After the heads come back, I will measure the pushrod length one more time before ordering.

Couldn’t my buddy help you out on your oiling parts.

-
Back