Building a surprise 67 Cuda for my Pops

-

Son2PopsCuda

Reaction score
Hello Mopar pro's, I'm fairly new to this forum. I'm building a surprise 67 Cuda for the greatest man I know, my Pops. I've never done a build before and although I do have mechanical help and am mechanically inclined myself I'd like to get the best of the best in knowledge for this build. This man has sold every muscle car he has owned in order to provide for his family so building this car for him is something I've wanted to since I was a teen. Any and all information is welcomed and appreciated. Now for the car, it is a 67 Barracuda Notchback with a base 273 attached to a 904 tranny mated to a 7 1/4 rear with drums all around for stopping. I got the car for a great price and for the year it is pretty clean, yes it needs work...floor boards, minor body work and some interior work but still a pretty solid car. I'm not trying to put high HP into this especially with a base 273 but I would still like it to be pretty spunky on acceleration, handling and of course stopping
IMG_7147.JPG
. What could I do to improve torque, hp, handling and of course braking without the obvious of swapping motors or having to mortgage off my home in order to successfully achieve my goal. Thank You my new Mopar family for any advice I receive good, bad or indifferent.

Great project. For braking, obviously a power disc brake conversion. Handling, rebuild the suspension and add good shocks and a bigger sway bar. For spunk, upgrade to an 8 3/4" rear axle with gears in the mid to high 3's.

Great project. For braking, obviously a power disc brake conversion. Handling, rebuild the suspension and add good shocks and a bigger sway bar. For spunk, upgrade to an 8 3/4" rear axle with gears in the mid to high 3's.
Thanks MoparLeo, I was trying to leave it numbers matching but I guess I can't have it all huh, do you know of any conversion kit companies that are reputable? I don"t wanna have to the job twice you know what I mean. and which are best shocks and sway bar if you know? Thanks again for the feedback.

Nice gesture. -- Welcome -- From Pa. -- I like the Toys, in the background. -- :thumbsup:

If you can find a donor car for discs and rear end (necessitates changing wheels to bbp) you're miles ahead. Stiffer torsion bars up front with a sway bar and leaf springs in the rear along with shock (several good manufacturers, dont skimp on shocks) should make it handle and stop decent. Doing a similar thing with my 69 notch. 73 swinger provided discs, rear, V8 and transmission. 14 or 15 inch bbp wheels and tires are fairly reasonably priced. Good luck with the build and great gesture to your pops! Welcome to FABO..

I'm sure your pop is going to be stoked with any level of car you present him! To make things easy, I would go old school and source OE parts whenever possible! Some simple upgrades in the engine compartment such as 4 bbl carbeuration, headers, and the usual power ad ins should wake it up a bit! And yes, a rear gear change would help! I just saw a set of 3:55's for a 7 1/4" rear for sale here yesterday!!

I'm sure your pop is going to be stoked with any level of car you present him! To make things easy, I would go old school and source OE parts whenever possible! Some simple upgrades in the engine compartment such as 4 bbl carbeuration, headers, and the usual power ad ins should wake it up a bit! And yes, a rear gear change would help! I just saw a set of 3:55's for a 7 1/4" rear for sale here yesterday!!
Nice, thanks for the suggestion, didn't know I was able to change out the gearing in the old 7 1/4, no chance of making it sure grip is there? and would you remember the thread you saw the gearing? Thanks again cosgig.

If you can find a donor car for discs and rear end (necessitates changing wheels to bbp) you're miles ahead. Stiffer torsion bars up front with a sway bar and leaf springs in the rear along with shock (several good manufacturers, dont skimp on shocks) should make it handle and stop decent. Doing a similar thing with my 69 notch. 73 swinger provided discs, rear, V8 and transmission. 14 or 15 inch bbp wheels and tires are fairly reasonably priced. Good luck with the build and great gesture to your pops! Welcome to FABO..
Awesome info Ben Drinkin, Thank You, I didn't know I was able to swap from different vehicles other than another Barracuda, I will look into other A body Mopars for the disc conversion, Trying not spend a whole lot but safety is by far one of the departments I wouldn't think about skimping on, Thank You again.

Nice surprise for POPS, I'm lucky if I could get the kids to wash there own cars.
Yeah lol, trust me I know what you mean, I wasn't the easiest of teens to raise but I know what my parents have done, you know the old saying, kids know everything until.......

what are your takes on 3.91 gearing for the 7 1/4 ? too much? is it over kill?

It is great that you think so much of your dad. He is a very lucky person to have a son like you.
Good luck with your project, I wish you the best.
Yote

It is great that you think so much of your dad. He is a very lucky person to have a son like you.
Good luck with your project, I wish you the best.
Yote
Thank You, my pops deserves all the credit for this build, I wouldn't do it if he weren't the father that he is ;) Thank You for the kind words.

Welcome! 273 engines will SURPRISE YOU,...:) Keep it along basics...
I'm glad your saying that LoL, everyone else I've talked to say's the 273 is waaay to small, Not wanting to build a 10 sec 1/4 drag car, just something with spunk, nostalgic that my pops will enjoy. Thanks for the 273 motivation.

All I can say is you are a great son! Best of luck and hope Pops has a smile on his face when he gets it!!! Any Mopar!

I see you posted in the 3:55 sale ad, but here's the link anyway! And yes, you can install a SG unit in a 7 1/4", put out a want ad here and be prepared to wait a while! They do come up for sale, but not that often!

[FOR SALE] - 3.55 gears for 7 1/4

I see you posted in the 3:55 sale ad, but here's the link anyway! And yes, you can install a SG unit in a 7 1/4", put out a want ad here and be prepared to wait a while! They do come up for sale, but not that often!

[FOR SALE] - 3.55 gears for 7 1/4
Thank you for the link and the advice of posting a want ad. will do just that and play the waiting game.

I'm giving an update to this build. I have been able to get the car running and looking a whole lot better. I've replaced the starter, fuel line, starter relay, alternator, battery tray, battery, and battery cables. Polished up what I could including center console, some trim and head light bezels. Cleaned up the interior as much as I could just for the purpose of presentation (floor boards have to be done so interior will be completely removed). I was able to fulfill the dream I have had since I could remember with the help of my very loving and understanding wife. I handed my Pops the keys to his 67 and the feeling of being able to present him a car of his era and knowing we will twist wrenches is beyond words. Here is a pic of what has been accomplished so far. More pics with before and after will be posted. It is my pleasure to be able to share with enthusiasts such as yourselves.
IMG_7682.JPG

-
Back