Building the car no one wants

-
I bought my 70 dart about a year ago for $1500. I had a big block 73 camaro with buckets, floor shift, 4 wheel power disc brakes and so on that I was restoring and having fun in. I hurried up and sold it for the first cash offer I had so I could buy the dart. My dart is a 7 1/4, slant 6, manual 9" drums, bench seat.... Etc. The dart is wayyy slower, stops worse, and can't even spin a tire. But I'm still in love with it and I even prefer it and drive it more than my bmw M3.

I say you should put it together and let some kid with a dream of owning a muscle car buy it for whatever money you have in it. I'm 24 years old I was and still am into imports or so called "ricers". Now a days a 16 year old kid working a summer job can't afford a decent running Road Runner, GTO, or old mustang that he wants. So they have no choice but to settle for that civic that they CAN afford and begin customize and mod that. I would have LOVED to own my base model dart or a duster in high school. I'm sure there are several people in your area that would love an affordable duster no matter the drivetrain and options. I sure didn't care.

There are a lot of people in need that cannot afford a new or even modern used car. Ever thought about getting it running and driving and donating it to Goodwill?

I read somewhere that the CEO of goodwill makes a ridiculous high income, however the CEO of salvation army takes a small pittance from salvation army as pay.

Anyhow, Rani i would put it together, maybe bodywork it and primer it up. Paint up those steelies a nice gloss black, add some poverty caps maybe some stainless trim rings, and a navajo blanket front seat cover. Get it dolled up and looking pretty nice. Take it to a mopar car show and swap meet. I bet you could get at least $1500 to $1800 for it. Sweeten the deal with a V8 k frame and small block motor mounts and ask $2200, to $2700. bet a lot would depend on the year the body is. I think the 70-72 body dusters look the best IMHO.

Build it and flip it.
Matt

Rani, lets at least see pictures of the "piles" of parts and we could go through them and find the good useable stuff ! Ya know do the Brainstormin for ya

The car that nobody would want would be something like a brown 75 dart 4-door with green interior and manual 9" drums with an auto and manual steering.

Your car on the other hand sounds decent.

Build it! If I had enough spare parts to build a cheap car I'd do it.

Likely by the time you had that 408 stroker for a while it will find all the weak parts in your car and you'll be changing suspected weak parts ahead of time before they break and end up damn near with another car. lol

THow 'bout a 4 door '69 Sport Satellite that everyone tells me I should part out and build a Road Runner clone with?

Pictures, please! I just did an Frankenmagnum swap in a '68 Satellite 4-door. Wouldn't want a 2-door in its place.

-Kurt

Tell me about it.

I've got a 4 door M-body with sitting in the car port.

How 'bout a 4 door '69 Sport Satellite that everyone tells me I should part out and build a Road Runner clone with?

I doubt a satellite more door is an "undesirable car" Any B-body now a days get attention. I found this out because I also have a satellite wagon and at first you wouldn't think a wagon would be anything but after some of the offers I have had for it, I don't think any B-body classifies as "undesirable"

For that matter, I would go out on a limb and say the 71 duster in question is not an "undesirable" car either. However I have found an unexplained prejudice against cars like the duster in original form.

people tend to act like slant sixes and drum brakes are poison when they have functioned for the last 40+ years.

Here ya go,clapped out primer'd up moor door poly 318 3 on the tree with volure seat covers and shag carpet.........The photo looks WAY better than it is.

Attachments

• IMG_2176.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 173
along with mopars puke green moor door 68 Valiant.Gotta love um...

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 212
I do agree that when it comes to "B" body cars most are desirable.Pre 1975. Someday these may become desirable,,,,Very low on the totum pole.But the last of the "B's"

Attachments

• IMG_2208.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2211.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 190
I doubt a satellite more door is an "undesirable car" Any B-body now a days get attention. I found this out because I also have a satellite wagon and at first you wouldn't think a wagon would be anything but after some of the offers I have had for it, I don't think any B-body classifies as "undesirable"

A lot of the B-body die hards will agree with you. A lot won't. There's a few who see the coolness of an unmolested 4-door or wagon, but I can guarantee there's a lot of them out there who see nothing but parts. The people I've run into have been a 50/50 split.

I remember the first die hard Mopar fan who say my car.

"What's in it?"

"383-4bbl."

"No way. Someone had to put that in there." Then he went over and looked at the VIN. "H" code. Then he popped the hood and saw E63 on the tag and thought it was one of the coolest cars he'd ever seen.

The next guy saw it and said to me, "Pull the engine and put it in a two door. It's a waste of the engine having it in a 4 door."

It's been like that since I've owned the car.

For that matter, I would go out on a limb and say the 71 duster in question is not an "undesirable" car either. However I have found an unexplained prejudice against cars like the duster in original form.

people tend to act like slant sixes and drum brakes are poison when they have functioned for the last 40+ years.

People are enamored with horsepower. What I've seen on here, though, is the appreciation of a clean body and the work that's gone into it. Sure, you're not going to get the money out a slant six car that you would a 340 car, but if you're selling it as a running project, then a lot of guys would be willing to pay a fair price as it just that: a running project.

I've got a few manual four wheel drum brake cars in the stable. I've got no problems with a manual drums. I grew up with them. They work well as long as you know how to use them. That being said, except for the Sport Satellite, the other will be turned into manual disk. I like the feel of manual brakes, but I like the shortened braking distance of disk brakes, especially since your brakes or more than likely to save your life and life of others in today's heavy traffic. One of the things to remember is that when people owned these cars there was about 250,000 registered vehicles on the road. Today, the number has quadrupled.

Now, don't even get me going on the M-bodies. I own two. Even the most faithful of Mopar guys turn their noses up at the M-bodies and see nothing but parts. These cars have literally billions of miles of real world fleet use under them. A lot of the veteran cops I talk to absolutely still love them. A lot of the veteran Chrysler mechanics I talk to remember them fondly. Yet, they get absolutely no love, being built in '80's smog era.

I'm all for building what you like, who cares what other people think?
It's your money and work, and you have to drive it, not them.
Now building for resale is another matter......

I have come full circle; had rrs gtx, GTS, swingers, formS convt.... getting old now, just want and 67-69 valiant six with a clutch in it already, and swap in the od 833... want a reliable reacher for goin to far away shows.....
Yes, not everyone needs a 440/833/ Dana60....

Yea, when I push my 318's pedal to the floor (two barrel), it seems to me to really move out now. I almost feel as if I have to hang on to something. It's an automatic with a 2.76 gear out back. It used to be a four-speed and a 4.56 ring and pinion that got my adrenaline flowing. Turning 60 this month, must be getting old or somethin'.

I doubt a satellite more door is an "undesirable car" ................ I found this out because I also have a satellite wagon and at first you wouldn't think a wagon would be anything but after some of the offers I have had for it, ...................

Who would NOT want a wagon "Road Runner"

1970_plymouth_gtx_station_wagon_clone0.jpg

6358620111_e81b4c7cc3_o.jpg

4643296181_ebeb0c83d3_z.jpg

Build the car no one wants? Is that even possible? There will always be that one person out there who will love it. Even a Yugo, there will be someone who will want it.......

The next guy saw it and said to me, "Pull the engine and put it in a two door. It's a waste of the engine having it in a 4 door."

An ideal response: "Then go buy yourself a few and do that. In the meantime, shut your trap and mind your own business."

I have a rule: If it isn't yours, it isn't yours to judge (unless specifically brought to someone for that express purpose).

WANT. NOW.

Honestly, this looks better than a normal 2-door 1970 GTX. Something about that long roofline says "all business" better than the tapering C-pillar of the 2-door (one of the reasons I'm partial to the Charger if I had to pick a 2-door).

-Kurt

-
Back