Building the car no one wants

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
has any one ever run into the situation where you look around your back yard and in the scrap pile you find almost enough parts to build a whole car.

But not the most desirable car. I looked in scrap pile and I see a 7 1/4 and literally tons of parts I took off of other cars over the years when I did so called "upgrades"

had the idea to put a car together with strictly stuff laying around ......only thing is the end result would be a car no one wants. 71 Duster shell, slant six one barrel, three speed, SBP 7 1/4 drums all around. 14 inch wheel covers, bench seat, standard dash. anything and everything basic.

Car no one wants?
Have seen what I chose? #-o
4 Door Custom.
Plain white w/ black interior.
Only time it ever gets noticed is when I start it and the ground shakes!
I LOVE IT!
Makes me smile everytime I see it.
:toothy1:
Bottom line is I believe some of the best cars are the ones nobody wants.
Looked at a few Camaros, Chevelles, and a Ford or two.
Every where you look you can see one of those.
When was the last time you saw a 4 Door Dart at the track? or on the street even?

Attachments

• 0514152047a.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 640
Build it.. They will come..and offer you $300. for it#-o

probably close to what it all would bring to just go with plan A and load it all up in the truck and take it down to crush.

be way more fun though

If its got glass, i could see it being a sweet ride for some broke kid @1,500-2,000..

And another sweet car on the road, pluss if it already been apart think how easy it will be for the new owner to work on...no stuck bolts.

i like 71 dusters one of my favorite MOPARs.

Ah my wife's dream car. She had a 71 /6 when we were 17. I told her 1 day I'll get her 1 maybe not 71....

EVERYTHING I build or have are the unwanted redheaded stepchild of the Mopar world..Wouldn't have it any other way. My next is a 500 inch big block 63 belvedere 4 door.

Car nobody wants? My great aunt had exactly that car in Sassy Grass green. Oh BTW they must have made about 10,000 just like it.

"This thread is worthless without pics" (I don't have the opticon! lol

yep I know that one all too well ...

400 dollar 77 charger SE....drove it away , sat for years...

Attachments

• old24.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 576
  • a290.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 578
Build it! If I had enough spare parts to build a cheap car I'd do it.

I purchased a 1965 four door Valiant for $125.00 in the early '70's. Spent a few thousand turning it into the quickest street legal 273 around (Fremont Raceway). Sold it to the Renteria Brother's (Morgan Hill, California) who spent about two million dollars on it over the next 20 years to have it become the quickest 1965 four door Valiant in the world. (Doing the math, that's $100 grand per racing season). They sold it to Kenny Moorhead. Below are fotos when I sold it and how it looks today. (The Renteria Bros. now own a plastic/fiberglass I965 "Valiant" but it really has no parts in common any longer with the real thing, which can be seen on "Bangshift" video)

Attachments

• 1965 Valiant Effort.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 592
  • 65 Valiant4.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 576
  • 431534_489285264434585_1957937747_n.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 564
  • 20120418_193616 (2).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 571
X
I purchased a 1965 four door Valiant for $125.00 in the early '70's. Spent a few thousand turning it into the quickest street legal 273 around (Fremont Raceway). Sold it to the Renteria Brother's (Morgan Hill, California) who spent about two million dollars on it over the next 20 years to have it become the quickest 1965 four door Valiant in the world. They sold it to Kenny Moorhead. Below are fotos when I sold it and how it looks today. (The Renteria Bros. now own a plastic/fiberglass I965 "Valiant" but it really has no parts in common any longer with the real thing, which can be seen on "Bangshift" video)

Millions?

unHoly Judas fatman!

Being that Mopars are rare Rainy, throw it together, run it once a month, and wait for another '2005' Mopars are sought after-and sell it for your future kid's college fund-or donate it to some needy family as a tax write-off(more money against taxes than the vehicle's value).

You know you can't turn them down anyway. So, follow your heart with some sort of plan.

My Uncle bought a new 71' Demon (Red, black inside) in that same configuration...Man I wish I had that car today. At least I snagged my Aunt's 69' Coronet for a year or so. lol

has any one ever run into the situation where you look around your back yard and in the scrap pile you find almost enough parts to build a whole car.

But not the most desirable car. I looked in scrap pile and I see a 7 1/4 and literally tons of parts I took off of other cars over the years when I did so called "upgrades"

had the idea to put a car together with strictly stuff laying around ......only thing is the end result would be a car no one wants. 71 Duster shell, slant six one barrel, three speed, SBP 7 1/4 drums all around. 14 inch wheel covers, bench seat, standard dash. anything and everything basic.

Other than mine being a 904 and '75 that my car. And you probably have better sheet metal to start with.

Car no one wants?
Have seen what I chose? #-o
4 Door Custom.
Plain white w/ black interior.
Only time it ever gets noticed is when I start it and the ground shakes!
I LOVE IT!
Makes me smile everytime I see it.
:toothy1:
Bottom line is I believe some of the best cars are the ones nobody wants.
Looked at a few Camaros, Chevelles, and a Ford or two.
Every where you look you can see one of those.
When was the last time you saw a 4 Door Dart at the track? or on the street even?

$100 to buy
many hundreds later
a really "Fun" car
almost got it sorted out

when the smoke clears
1.46 60 ft

019-1_zps40087061.jpg

016-1-1_zpsa3417ce1.jpg

008_zpsew7mnxxm.jpg

Rani, if you have enough parts to put together a complete driver, do it! It WILL sell. Not everybody into A-bodies is looking for v-8, 727, 8 3/4 muscle. I'm sure there are plenty of buyers for a cool old grocery getter!

There are a lot of people in need that cannot afford a new or even modern used car. Ever thought about getting it running and driving and donating it to Goodwill?

My two boys would love to drive a 3 on the tree car....

They are having fun driving the Dart wagon with a slant...

My youngest wants to save up to buy his own Duster/Dart Sport. His mom always loved the "twister guy" logo on the Twister Dusters...

one of many things i like about the A body group is that it is for the most part, grass roots mopar types. the slant, the small block basically. I have nothing against BB for sure, I love them, and B body BB in particular. but the A body group represents to me the down to earth, let build a fun car without breaking the bank bunch.
I admire anyone that can build an "over the top" car for sure. but there are way more people doing that with B and E bodies.
if you build a slant Duster. half the people that buy it will pull the slant and either toss it or try to sell the slant for $1000!!! ha .... the best way to do this, I figure, is find a deserving h s kid, that really wants this duster with a slant, that makes good grades, and has an after school JOB!!!! let him ay it off by the month. if he doesn' or dad pay it off,. re posses it !!!!!!

Never say "nobody," there's always that one "somebody," a guy like me who prefers those cars. Goldie was sitting on the roadside dull and unwanted and had hundreds of ants crawling out of the quarter panels. Before that I felt sorry for a '67 Fury 4 door sedan 318, saw the ad week after week in the old Auto Trader magazine, and finally bought it, it was the best car ever, I miss it.

A car that nobody wants?
I want it already and i haven't even seen it yet!
I always loved the four doors, slant sixes, bare bones cars etc. though.......

-
Back