Built a smoker

-

MVRCorp

Reaction score
Yep, spent Thursday and Friday building it then Saturday and Sunday using it to entertain a couple hundred of our closest friends. Cooked 5 pork butts, 65 racks of ribs, 100 hot dogs, 100 hamburgers, 6 fish, 20 lbs of shrimp, lost track after that. Drank 5 kegs of beer and gallons of Sangria.
The smoker has 2x3 walls with 1/2 ply on the interior and 5/8 T-111 siding on the outside. The interior is lined with aluminum skin and the walls are filled to the top with 850 pounds of sand to give it thermal mass. Here are a few pics and a link to all the pictures.

http://s641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/MVRCorp2009/Memorial Day 2012/#!cpZZ6QQtppZZ20

Attachments

• Memorial Day Party 020.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Copy (2) of Memorial Day Party 003.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 308
  • Copy (2) of Memorial Day Party 012.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 300
  • Copy (2) of Memorial Day Party 024.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 304
  • Copy (2) of Memorial Day Party 010.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 300
  • Copy (2) of Memorial Day Party 049.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 310
....and here I thought this thread was going to be about blowing the rings out of a small block! Lol

...or building a crop Duster.
Lmao....

NICE!! I have had many horizontal smokers and I've always wanted to build a brick BBQ with a grill, an oven, and a smoker....someday

my neighbor has a smoker, but it's a chevy, and it would make any meat taste funny.......LOL! Nice job you did there!

That smoke house turned out great, Same here, drooling and hungry now!!
Build it and they will come they say, but build it and cook with it and they will come a running !! Great job,

If I fed all of my friends it would only take 2-3 plates.
I know a lot of people but only a couple that I call friends.

looks like some of the old times i used have big gatherings the main course was whole pig in the ground lots of beer along with plenty of hell raising red necks

Nice. Your cooking reminds me of a fellow I knew years ago. Clyde had a herizontal smaoker grille with a 4 X 8 lower rack. 2 smaller racks above that.
He would fire it up a couple days before Thanksgiving and cook non stop through New Years Day. I was difficult to not go there for lunch more than once a week. LOL

wow i read the paragraph before looking at the pictures and thought it was going to be a gigantic metal one that weighed a ton lol you sure showed me!
now i want to go build a cool bbq pit in our newly expanded back yard just for fun lol

wow i read the paragraph before looking at the pictures and thought it was going to be a gigantic metal one that weighed a ton lol you sure showed me!
now i want to go build a cool bbq pit in our newly expanded back yard just for fun lol

Yeah, that's the beauty of it, it's not metal. Metal cools and heats too rapidly. With the sand in the walls it's very stable temp wise. This one I just used a old Weber grill with no legs for a fire pit but the next one I'll probably use a "propane turkey cooker" burner and rotate pans of smoking chips for the smoke. That way, once regulated, I can probably let it burn through the night and not worry about the temp. That dam food was good (I used apple wood).

-
Back