Bumber Swap

-

ILLDuster74

Reaction score
Is it possible to reuse the bumber on a 74 Duster after switching the brackets to the 70-72 ones? I like the look of the pulled in bumber since my trim back there is busted.

I got a 74 duster and bought a 72 duster rear bumper. I just havent had really the weather and time to mess with trying it out yet. Ive seen pictures of it done from the outside view but nobody could get me underneath pictures of how they done it.

This may or may not help? There is a difference out back on 74 up models. There is an area of metal that is gone after 73. It is just on the back of each quarter where the bumper goes around the side. It goes under the sides of the bumper ends where the quarter panel meets the bumper. The edges of the bumper go over it. It will not show up on 74 up Dusters/Dart Sports because of the plastic filler pieces. Also due to this there is a slight difference in how the countour is shaped to go around the end of the bumper and it is very slight if you are using a 73 and below bumper. In addition the ends of the bumper will only sit flush with the quarter and the very ends will be about 1/4 inch short of mating up with the exact width of the quarter but it does not look too bad. I dont know if 74s use brackets or shock mounts like the 75s do. If you look at a 74 up Duster bumper you will notice its a bit wider. That is because the bumper goes over the quarter on a bump to the bumper that activates the shock so if its a slight bump it will not hurt the quarter. Hope that helps!! Look at this pic of my 75 Dart Sport. I pushed the bumper in with the help of a tree and drilled a hole and put a screw through the shock to shorten the bumper sticking out. If the 74 uses brackets you can just cut out or even drill a new hole to do what I did with the shocks. I know there is an easier way than what I did but it worked. I just removed the plastic filler and the bumper snugged up to the quarter just fine. Did it on the front also. See the pics!!
Chas

103_0178.jpg

103_0180.JPG

I would try to use the 74 mounts as I don't think the 70-72's will bolt up to the 74 bumper very well. Or another good way to go is to through that heavy 74 bumper away and get a 70-72 bumper and put it on.

Chaz those bumpers look great..
Burnt I was trying to go the cheap route saving the bumper but I think I'll buy the brackets and a 72 bumper.. Any body got the underbody pics of how this might go in if you did this swap on a 74?

All i gotta say is damit Big stroke lol

No I don't. But I have done a little looking in to it on my 75 Duster that I am changing over to look like a 71 Demon.

I think if you bolt the bumper mounts to the bumper then hold it in place on the car with som blocks or rope or some thing where it needs to go. Then go under there and mark the holes where the bumper brackets will bolt on to the car. Take the bumper off drill the holes then mount the bumper on with some nuts and bolts. Should not be all that hard I don't think.

On thig is on the sides of the bumper there is going to be a slight gap at the 1/4 panels as the later cars had that filler strip to hide that area. But it should be easy to weld a peice of sheet metal in there to hide the gap.

Sounds good, can't be that hard I just saw in a Mopar Muscle that they did this swap on a 75, course no pics of the work... go figure.

-
Back