Bushed lifter bores

-

JBurch

Reaction score
What's the difference in power between trued and bushed lifter bores vrs untouched factory, solid flat tappet lifter.

I already understand benefits from an oiling perspective, so don't waste time talking about that..........I wanna know power!!!

Zero. Roller lifters can find some power if they are off a bunch. BBC's are the worst I've seen. You won't find anything with SFT's.

I'm a big proponent of bushing the bores for oil control and for lifter longevity. It's not really a more power deal, but I'm certain doing it cuts down on the potential for harmonics, adding stability and rpm, and power by virture of that. Bushing isn't a pathway to more power, but more like limiting the possibility of losing potential power.

I'm a big proponent of bushing the bores for oil control and for lifter longevity. It's not really a more power deal, but I'm certain doing it cuts down on the potential for harmonics, adding stability and rpm, and power by virture of that. Bushing isn't a pathway to more power, but more like limiting the possibility of losing potential power.
Had it done on my new build by Ryan at Shady Dell. Gotta love that electric motor paint.
image.jpeg

I had "supposedly" the best machine shop around here, do my 440/505 when I built it. I asked him to bush the lifter bores, he said they couldn`t do it!
Shady dell speed shop can do a lot of specialty machining that other shops cannot do. He removes the cam bearings and has fixturing that locates off the cam bores in the block. Of course I have not run the motor yet and I have noted that I cannot get my roller lifters in and out with the heads on because of the increased height of the lifter bushings.

All it takes is the right equipment.
I would say it is more like the right shop. I took my block to shady dell for specific services. It is a 5 hour drive there for me.
But is was worth for me to get my w2 heads ported by someone who knows small block heads specifically and had the right equipment and knowledge to bush the lifter bores. Everything else I can have done adequately at my local small block Chevy or whatever comes in the door engine rebuild shop.

All it takes is the right equipment.

Knowledge is far and away more important.....a machine can't do a single thing, until someone who knows, turns it on.

The hard part is finding people who know...............

There probably is a slight horsepower increase, when you index the bushings to the camshaft correctly

I get what you're both saying, but no, actually it's kind of like plate honing. If you don't have the equipment, you can't really do the job right...lol

I get what you're both saying, but no, actually it's kind of like plate honing. If you don't have the equipment, you can't really do the job right...lol

Exactly. You need the tools and machinery and someone who knows how to use it. I scrapped a Chevy block because someone bushed it for 1 inch lifters and missed. The customer was hot Hot HOT. The measurements didn't lie.

Yes electric motor insulating varnish is a nice touch. Watch your head dowels because those may hold your heads up off the deck--they look really long in that photo. J.Rob
The dowels are not too long. Have had the heads on without a gasket and they sit flush. I have really taken my time with this build and have checked just about every critical dimension. Probably just the angle of the camera.

The dowels are not too long. Have had the heads on without a gasket and they sit flush. I have really taken my time with this build and have checked just about every critical dimension. Probably just the angle of the camera.
Ok-good job. J.Rob

-
Back