buying cars over long distances question

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
:blob:I am in the market for a dart. But in my local town of lake charles, louisiana there just isnt many around. Not a clean one like what I am looking for.

Anyway, I did find one that was listed in austin TX 7 hours away from me. Now I know this isnt very far but I was just wondering what my options are for buying over these kinds of distances other than just driving to get it. I mean I would have to pay for deisel to pull a trailer with my brothers truck, bother my brother, probably end up making it a two day trip, and all that other bull. Or I would have to pay for gas for a ride, bum a ride and then pay for the gas of two car to get back, one of which I am not gonna be completely sure of the reliability of.

What is the cost of having a car shipped? What about getting it notorized over distance. How do people pull this buying cars across the country stuff off?:blob:

Maybe someone on here could look at it for you first, if they are willing. If it's what you want, I would think a 7 hour trip would be in order. You could drive out there and back in a day. More than likely fuel would be way cheaper than having it shipped.

I drove 5 hours each way to drag mine home.

lol....

7:00pm I loaded up my 07 Hemi Ram with basic tools, hooked onto a Uhaul autotransport trailer, loaded up a fullsize 78' J-code Dodge D150 and hauled *** 12.5 hours one way into the DFW area, pulled in at 5:30am...crashed out at a Kroger Supermarket parking lot....woke up with the 7:35am sunlight in our faces.....went to Whataburger grabbed a Bisquit and Gravy and headed to sellers house to pick up 74 Dart Sport at 8:30. Unloaded truck, looked at the Dart Sport...made about 15 circles around it....kicked the tires,...checked the fluids....cranked it up....looked it all over.....went for a 3-5 mile drive...came back loaded it up. Signed the paperwork and hit the highway for the next 12.5 hour haul.....24 hours driving, gone from home 30 hours.
DSCF8057.jpg

DSCF8088.jpg

DSCF8089.jpg

cost me right at $700 to round trip, fuel, trailer, food, smokes, drinks ect.

Great roadtrip when its for the right reason/car.

7 hours would be short fun.

:glasses7:

I drove up with my father from Ga to NJ, to pick up an 83 Ramcharger and drove it home. just over 800 miles got it for $355. also drove from Ga to TN to pick up a 5th ave he bought for $102 also drove it home that was 420 miles. but to be honest we are both truck drivers and don't really mind the long road trips.
The thing is you have to be able to look at it as an adventure and make the trip with someone that has the same outlook you do on it. BTW the shipping quote on the TN 5th ave was over $600 and we went up and back in less than a day and may have spent $200 with gas meals and all. the run up to NJ cost more we stayed in a motel overnight on the way back. I think we had about $600 in that trip. Was worth every penny going on the road trip with my father as well as coming out with Mopars to play with.
Just so you don't think I'm simply painting a rosy picture the NJ trip was uneventful all went well, but the TN trip. the 5th ave ended up having a cracked block from the water jacket to the outside so no mix of oil and water but kept running hot several times on the way home. we kept having to add water and couldn't find a leak till I pulled the engine ( was bought for parts) and found a hairline crack down the side from core plug to core plug. was cool we were after body parts anyway. David

I have driven as far as 30 hour round trips to pick up cars. That 30 hours did also include time to load it on the trailer. Paid cash on pick-up so if they were not what I expected I would only be out gas money. Remember they will never look as good in person as a picture and you shouldnt be left unhappy. Pictures can make even a turd look good.

lol....

7:00pm I loaded up my 07 Hemi Ram with basic tools, hooked onto a Uhaul autotransport trailer, loaded up a fullsize 78' J-code Dodge D150 and hauled *** 12.5 hours one way into the DFW area, pulled in at 5:30am...crashed out at a Kroger Supermarket parking lot....woke up with the 7:35am sunlight in our faces.....went to Whataburger grabbed a Bisquit and Gravy and headed to sellers house to pick up 74 Dart Sport at 8:30. Unloaded truck, looked at the Dart Sport...made about 15 circles around it....kicked the tires,...checked the fluids....cranked it up....looked it all over.....went for a 3-5 mile drive...came back loaded it up. Signed the paperwork and hit the highway for the next 12.5 hour haul.....24 hours driving, gone from home 30 hours.

cost me right at $700 to round trip, fuel, trailer, food, smokes, drinks ect.

Great roadtrip when its for the right reason/car.

7 hours would be short fun.

:glasses7:

I've done this same type of thing several times. Won some, lost some.
It is starting to become part of the fun.
I even bought a tow-dolly for the closer ones.
Did my homework, got a good deal, and hey, it's just plain nice to have.

I found my Dart on BBD.com Talked to the guy over the phone a couple of times, seemed like a straight shooter. He sent me pics of everything I asked for and answered every question. I sent him $500 by Paypal to hold the car. My buddy and I loaded up the truck and trailer and drove 8 hours to get there. Looked at the car, shook the guys hand and then went back to the local motel.

100_0470.jpg

The next morning we went back and loaded it up in an ice storm and pulled it TWELVE hours home!!! Got home just in time to take the wife out to dinner on her birthday!!!

High res photos! Need not say more to start off a possible buy. If a seller can't provide them and the areas and quantity you want, run from it. Chances are it not as solid as they say. Never be in a hurry. Other cars are out there.
I keep telling people if the seller will not ot cannot provide and your interested, there is enough camera clubs where photog's have good equipment, that someone will take the photos for you. Might cost you some $$ ($100.00 average) but better now than later.
And the bullsh*t I can't get the under the car to take it doesn't cut it in my books. I have been interested in many cars that were suppose to be really, really clean and have spent money up front only to walk away. If you have questions pm me. I will do my best to answer them. I don't have all the answers, but I a m in good shape.

Renting the uhall sounds like a good idea. Had forgot about that. That was one of the reasons I was looking at shipping. Our trailer is about shot. I guess it is just a nature of the beast. I have done it a couple of times myself, I was just wondering if there was an easier way.

Thanks

There are brokers that will look at the car for you , take pictures , document dings and dints ,check mileage and over all condition of car. they may even be able to find a reliable hauler for you all for a price of course. 7 hrs isn't that much. Have you checked to see what a flat bed car hauler would cost to rent.

I have mine shipped, because by the time you add in gas, trailer rental if you don't own one and motel/food, you are only a few hundred apart. Plus, if you break down you might end up even more expensive than shipping.

I had the '73 Dart Sport shipped from TX for about $900 because it wasn't running and that's a bit extra. Shipping a big, running Pontiac from NJ to here was about $700, and the '63 Olds that's coming soon should be another $900 bill.

Cars like those last two will NOT fit safely on a U-Haul auto transport, and if you lie and say you are hauling a Geo metro, and wreck it....:sad10:

Of course, if you have a Ram 3500 and nice modern 18ft trailer sitting in the drive then you can afford to do whatever you choose:cheers:

Of course, if you have a Ram 3500 and nice modern 18ft trailer sitting in the drive then you can afford to do whatever you choose:cheers:

All you need is friends!! One with a truck and another with a trailer!! At least that's how I did it..

I work a dealership and I see transports every week that are carrying antique and classic cars. We shipped a Cutlass convertible from KC to Florida. Truck pulled up. We went over a check list with the driver and noted any damage to the vehicle. Three days later, the new owner had his Olds. No problems at all. Cost about $700 if I remember correctly.

I've bought a couple long distance. My son & I bought a used Dakota in KCMO a few years back. We flew out, done the deal and drove it home (12 hours). A very stressful trip for me, I wondered every time I heard a strange noise if this is where we start walking! But it made it home and he has been driving it for the last 7 years with minimal upkeep. We made it a weekend trip and stopped at the St. Louis Arch and spent a few hours in Nashville TN.
Another trip my daughter & I rented a car and drove to Ft. Lauderdale FL (10 hours). Bought the car, turned in the rental and drove home - no problems. We also made it a weekend and spent a day in the Tampa area.

One other experience, on a Pontiac site I frequent, a fella in OH was looking at a car in Atlanta. All the pics he had been provided looked good and he was preparing to rent the U-haul equipment to come get it. I drove up on a Sunday AM and looked it over for him. That car was total junk... I took a good many pics of the real condition, called him and relayed my thoughts. Sent him the pics when I got home. He was a happy camper that he saved the time & money to drive down for a big disappointment.
C

I have bought MANY cars over the years and have realized that going to look it over is the best way to go or don't buy it UNLESS You have a TRUSTED person look at it for You. I have bought from old and young alike and can just say..."go Yourself or use the other above option" Pictures don't show it like it is either. I bought a car from an old man in texas and could not believe it was mine when delivered. I asked Him what year the pics were taken and He would not respond to any type correspondence. I've had "professional" appraisers look at My cars before selling and wondered how they ever became appraisers. They didn't know didly about mopars.But..it's your dough and decision...but remember the statement" buyer beware"...and...."sold as is".

I live in Dayton Oh and drove to California Missouri to pick up my Duster. I had several calls to the owner and he too provided the extra pictures and info needed. I have a 2500 Diesel Ram and drove it in 11 hours straight to Columbia. Spent the night in Columbia, picked up the U-haul trailer for a one-way direct back to Dayton the next morning. Took trailer and my truck drove another hour. Got to the house of the owner for the car and checked the car, drove it, decided to buy it, loaded it, and headed straight back to Dayton. If I hadn't liked the car U-Haul in Columbia told me to bring the trailer back and they would charge me only one third of the cost. Total cost for the trailer one way was $119.00 for 3 days use.. Diesel fuel wasn't hateful. I'd much rather made the trip myself and seen for myself what I was getting then throw money to the wind and have a transport bring it and it's nothing of the expectations you have.
Besides it's an adventure, just in the fact of the drive to get it and issues you might have run into, adds more character to the car as you work on it and make it your own..! Like mine, the wife went with me at the last minute because my friend backed out, and the fact we left on Friday at 3:00 pm. and rolled into Columbia at 2:00 a.m. Saturday. Then all said and back on the road we got home at 1:00 am Sunday morning.. And believe me there's a whole lot more that happened in those 22 hours that was just plain hilarious.. Good Luck on your decision.

Attachments

• Small Pic 1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 119
bat13, you make no mention of the condition of the auto in question. Is it a driver? comes to mind first. To detremine the relevent issues long distance i would bank on haveing one of our members do a real inspection of the car first. I'm sure there are those types here that would be glad to assist. We are car guys you know. If it were in my area i would want you to contact me. For me, being the adventurous type and didn't have all the resources necessary to make the haul happen i would get some real info on the condition and gather up me a box of tools and hit the bus station. After i bought the car, if you do, the first stop would be the auto parts store for traveling supplies. Anti freeze, brake fluid, and maybe even a set of tires. What better place to do a brake job than in the parking lot of an auto parts store? Pretty simple cars IMO. I'd determine the condition before i left home. Have someone on here look at it first. I bought the boy a car in Calif and had one in our motorcyle club do the inspection and handle the money for me and monitor the loading. Never met the guy in my life. Some people you just get a feel for. Cost was $800 to West Plains, Mo from San Jose. What condition is the car in?
Small Block

bat13, you make no mention of the condition of the auto in question. Is it a driver? comes to mind first. To detremine the relevent issues long distance i would bank on haveing one of our members do a real inspection of the car first. I'm sure there are those types here that would be glad to assist. We are car guys you know. If it were in my area i would want you to contact me. For me, being the adventurous type and didn't have all the resources necessary to make the haul happen i would get some real info on the condition and gather up me a box of tools and hit the bus station. After i bought the car, if you do, the first stop would be the auto parts store for traveling supplies. Anti freeze, brake fluid, and maybe even a set of tires. What better place to do a brake job than in the parking lot of an auto parts store? Pretty simple cars IMO. I'd determine the condition before i left home. Have someone on here look at it first. I bought the boy a car in Calif and had one in our motorcyle club do the inspection and handle the money for me and monitor the loading. Never met the guy in my life. Some people you just get a feel for. Cost was $800 to West Plains, Mo from San Jose. What condition is the car in?
Small Block

I agree with Smallblock, if you ask the right questions & plenty of them, see if a member can view the car & if all O.K I would take a good tool box & supplies & drive back.
If your no mechcanic I would get some quotes to transport it back. Check out this thread it will help http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=45526
I used this to get my Duster from PA to Austraila. Transport took up most of the cost to ship OS.

-
Back