Buying my first MOPAR...

-
Welcome, just be sure to carefully inspect all areas of the car before buying.
Good luck, hope all goes well with your purchase. What area of Ohio? Maybe there is a FABO or FEBO member in the local area willing to help you out.
Just be sure to buy'em lunch..... Lol!

I bought my mopar (72 duster) from california. Found it on craiglist, didnt have chance to check it because i live in Finland. Had guy to check it before buying it.

duster was detailed, only outside was painted but it cost just 6k
only rust spots i found were in the trunk, smaller than my little finger.
that magnet trick is wery good idea to do.

Personaly i think first place to check if there is rust is cowl vent if you can see there. Trunk floors are so easy to fix but that spot is harder, you have cut so much just to get there. and remeber to do test drive.

good luck and i hope the car is solid

Don't forget to check the torsion bar cross-members. They tend to rust in the "salt belt."

Hey everyone, well I ended up not buying the challenger...oh well. But while I was up there I had a few other cars I wanted to look at and I think I might have found one. It's a 73 Cuda 4 speed 340 matching number drive train , its not perfect but a nice driver, very little rust. What do you think a fair price on this car is? I know their more valuable than the challengers. He's asking 23 thousand...

Hey everyone, well I ended up not buying the challenger...oh well. But while I was up there I had a few other cars I wanted to look at and I think I might have found one. It's a 73 Cuda 4 speed 340 matching number drive train , its not perfect but a nice driver, very little rust. What do you think a fair price on this car is? I know their more valuable than the challengers. He's asking 23 thousand...

She'd have to be rust free for 23K IMO especially with the detuned 340's of that year, hard to really judge without pictures. I'd say 15K tops for me for a 73/340.

Ok , I did take some pics and I'll post them tomorrow. Please let me know what you think I value you knowledge very much. Thanks again

ALRIGHT BOYS LET ME HAVE IT! Here are the pics. What would you say is a fair price?
1973CUDA340

i see bondo near that one rust bubble, with that new of paint, how is it bubbling already? Air shocks are a no-no, will rip off the upper mounts. im sure there is more too.

I'd be picking away at that rust in the trunk and be checking the drivers and passenger floor for rot. If everythings minor I'd say somewhere between 16-18K. Dock off 1K to purchase a descent set of headers cuss the old ones are rusted all to hell and that one set in the picture is probably crunched on the front. They make a lot better fitting headers these days.

Thanks guys , I ended up getting it for 20k . Maybe a bit high but I know I won't see another around my town. There was some bondo and I've already bought a new set of headers. I drove the car 1300 miles home! I did burn a lot of oil and 1 gear has poped out a couple times...where should I go from here ?

Thanks for sharing the full story with us. I hope you didn't lose too much on the mis-buy of the first one. What I notice is that the quality owner-sellers on ebay show a lot of pride in their cars and give a detailed description, with close-ups of any problem areas like rust around the wheels. The first one didn't even give a photo of the underside. Good it worked out for you.

If I lived in Florida (used to), I wouldn't go up north to find a car. If you have the time, it is probably worth it to go west of Pecos to buy a good rust-free car and drive it home. It would save you months or years of fixing rust. Then treat all areas that rust out in the east before it starts. I bought my Newport after moving to CA and couldn't believe how perfect it looked, no rust even on the bumper struts. That was compared to my Dart which spent years around the Gulf and several mid-West salty winters.

Maybe we could set up forum topic dedicated to members here that would do some leg work for others..

I'd be happy to take pics and look at a car for members on the board...
I know others would prob do the same

Maybe we could set up forum topic dedicated to members here that would do some leg work for others..

I'd be happy to take pics and look at a car for members on the board...
I know others would prob do the same

That's a good idea. I passed on several out of state cars because I was not able to check them out in person. Like Patrykdart70, I would be more than willing to take pics of cars in my area if it helps another member.

-
Back