Buying Tactics HELP

-

Casey Davis

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Most all of us have been in a position where we have found a desirable car and the owner just seems to not give a damn that it is sitting in his back yard rusting and has no intention of selling it to us...
What are some good tactics to help these situations?
Anyone?

I have had my eye on a authentic A12 car, T/A car, GTX car and more...
None are available to sell but they just sit there...usually in crummy hoods and towns that are real low-rent...

Suggestions?

Keep on shoping. If it doesn't have a FOR SALE sign on it , it's not for sale.
I get bugged about cars and a vaccant lot I own all to often.
Can you tell ? LOL

The economy's getting worse every day.........Keep an eye on those cars, and approach again at an opportune time. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sooner or later, lot's of these guys will cave.......you can't eat a car.

I have offered a good amount of money to a couple of these people and I know they need it by the looks of there place and such...it's like they would rather have the car rot and no money than give the car a good home and have money...one guy that I did not mention his car about has no electricity!!!
Its sad...

Casey: I know where your comin from bud. Redfish, nothin in my field has a "FOR SALE" sign on it but they can be bought just bring your money and let's talk. I'm in the middle of trying to buy about 3 or more right now and boy it's tough. Everyone is different and all have different soft spots. I guess for me its part of the fun trying to find that spot. Maybe find something they have always wanted or something they need. "Electricity". Maybe they don't even want it. Find someone that knows em and go in the back door. Find what it is that makes em tick and then strike up a conversation on that subject, other than cars. Show some enthusiasm for their interest. If cars come up you can assist him in finding a part. Hit ebay or other sites and make copies of the highest priced parts and take copies of em to him. Maybe reality will set in and he may figure out real quick he can't afford the game. Tell him your going to restore one and he could be the first one to drive it when finished then loose his phone #. Maybe it's something they are wanting to do to their place but need something to make it happen. If it's possable loan them a tool to make it happen. You be the judge on that as you have a better idea who your dealing with. Casually after introducing yourself ask him if he's starting a salvage yard and mention in this economy scrap iron is way down. In my area one of those cars would be lucky to bring $150 in scrap price. Remember there was one old boy in the Bible that worked 14 yrs for the chance to marry his wife. These old Mopars are more valuable than a wife so there ya go. "Except for my wife". I had to make that very clear incase she stumbled onto this thread. LMAO !!
Good luck and if i think of more ideas i'll post em for ya.

Casey, just to tell ya about one of my long sought after deals. I talked to this old lady about the 70 cuda setting in her back yard rusting down and she told me a million dollars wouldn't by it. No dice. It belonged to be dead son who was killed on a bike several years ago. OK so i stumbled onto her grand daughter who's meth freak boyfriend needed some money and i talked to him about the car and of course he needed some stuff and had no money. This is about 4 yrs from when i first talked to the old lady. It seems the son wanted his niece to have the car so it was hers. When the meth head told her to sell it to me because it was going to be worth less as it continued to rust she did. $350. Some of the good stuff don't happen over night. I lay in bed at night thinking of how to make it happen. I hope i have helped. Be patient. Everything has it's price, even the stuff that Redfish owns wheather he will admit it or not.

show some cash in there face the sight of cash can change peoples minds

There are alot of "Good Ol'Boys" that will shoot the second time you come around if they said no the first time, around here you really have to do alot of detective work because the more south you go from here the more they hate strangers.

There are alot of "Good Ol'Boys" that will shoot the second time you come around if they said no the first time, around here you really have to do alot of detective work because the more south you go from here the more they hate strangers.

You better believe it. I went to talk to an old man who had a 340 duster sitting under a tree in a pasture for years, said it wasn't for sale. When i went back to ask again, he seemed to have a change of heart and said "go ahead and take a look", needless to say i was very excited. I went out to the pasture and was looking that car up and down, not paying any attention to the livestock moving closer and closer. It wasn't the cows I was worried about, but the BULL that had followed them !! Man, that bull chased me around that car for twenty minutes and the old man was standing by the gate just a laughing!! I jumped in the car and wondered if it was any better, i could just see a snake or big ol rat coming out from under the seat, i had to get out!! My buddy that was with me thought it was funny till the bull turned on him, then he was ready to go!! I finally got out of there after a mad dash to my buddys car. And i didn't even get the car!!! SO WATCH OUT FOR CARS IN PASTURES!!:rock::pale:

I had to stand on a frozen dead cow one day while removing hub caps from an A-body down in an old Mopar collector/cattle farmer's field.

Anyways I know a couple guys that are real big into Mopars just like we are that have some pretty desirable Mopars that you could say they will never do anything with these cars because they don't have the money nor the ambition to get into it, but they will never let them go and they will rot into the ground, but they swear they are gonna restore them some day.

I think it's called hoarding disease.

It's a dirty deal but try and talk to the other half of the family. The wife or girlfriend. I know it's dirty, but sometimes you gotta hit low.

Ask them, "Do you want to buy any parts for your car?"

It gets the relationship started and they lower their guard knowing you're not just another jerk trying to steal their car or some loser without money.

You know offers from people to sell are tempting-
but offers to buy parts at a good price is too good to pass up!

We all have had, or have, a car that sits and we won't sell, sometimes you know you can't get what you put into it, or it does'nt seem any worse to you over the years because you see it everyday.

Have a look under their car and tell them the frames rotted and the car will only be good as a parts car.Might change there mind knowing it,s gone beyond repair.Hey,sometimes you have to stoop low,but you asked.Good Luck!

-
Back