Buying used heads?

-

polkat

Reaction score
I have a chance to get some 516 heads (yes, I know-hardly the best choice) but I can get then very cheaply. The seller states that they have been professionally ported. But after talking with him on the phone, he admitted that he had done the porting himself, following instructions from an un-named 'pro'.

Well, a beginner at porting can sometimes ruin a set of heads rather then helping them. I'll be looking at them tomorrow. What should I look for to tell if they are usable? Too much off the short side? Too much out of the bowls? Runners too big or possibly punched through? Any advice?

I have 2 sets of ported 516's, 1 set from Dwayne Porter, who's pretty well known. I spoke to him about the 516's and although they can be made to work, he said it takes just about twice as long to get them to flow a comparable number to a newer style casting, and you really need to know where to work, and NOT to work. Without a flow bench, I'm not sure you would be able to tell what you had. Aerohead sells factory castings with 2.14/1.81" valves for $500/pair. I'm sure they have the bare minimum done to them, but I would consider them a safer bet than most backyard sets. Good luck.

I typically avoid buying previously home ported heads. If they have been barely touched and the valve job isn't done yet, I'll look at them. Otherwise I find more problems then positives in buying them. It's easier for a novice to damage a head by going too far than to get it right going any deeper than a basic gasket match and bowl blend.

I agree with the above, don't waste your coins just save up and buy good set or a stock set and have them professionally done.

I'm a bit south of you (Fresno), but I've got several sets of core big block heads that I'd let go for a reasonable price, including a pair of 516s (possibly, they belong to my son).

-
Back