Bypass hose splitting

-

jimmyray

Reaction score
The bypass hose on my 73 408 Duster keeps splitting, I have been through 3 in the last year. Been sourcing them for Advance Auto, they are reinforced with the molded in thread.

Any thoughts on why, or a superior hose that wont split?

I like Gates or Goodyear hoses and belts.

I would think that it may be overstretching for it to split so quickly.

Is it splitting in the same place every time or different location for each hose?

Pics of hose. The other 2 slit in the same place.

Thanks for the tip, MOTOPSYCHO, I will swing by O'Reilly's this afternoon.

Could there be a restriction, as suggested by "66PLYVALIANT"?

Car does not run hot, and all seems to be normal until it splits, leaks ALL of the coolant, and then starts to get hot. Easy enough to replace, but a significant inconvenience!

Attachments

• IMG_20130825_090646.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20130825_090655.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20130825_090300.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 203
Yup. If you have one brand fail on you over and over, try another brand. Same with belts.

And don't be afraid to trim that hose. You want it's installed length to be where it would naturally fall without any stretch or compression.

Yup. If you have one brand fail on you over and over, try another brand. Same with belts.

And don't be afraid to trim that hose. You want it's installed length to be where it would naturally fall without any stretch or compression.

I noticed that too, it should have been trimmed to allow the bend to be completely where it should naturally sit

I noticed that too, it should have been trimmed to allow the bend to be completely where it should naturally sit

Xs3.

FWIW I got one of those Mopar bypass hoses from Mancini racing several years ago it has an orange silicone coating on the inside it's on the third engine now in My Dart after nearly 5 years and still looks like new.

FWIW I got one of those Mopar bypass hoses from Mancini racing several years ago it has an orange silicone coating on the inside it's on the third engine now in My Dart after nearly 5 years and still looks like new.

Silicone hoses are more durable, but are more expensive than the standard rubber ones. If it solves the problem, may be worth the extra money. You must tell them that you want silicone hose to get the more durable one when you buy it.

x4 on trimming.

You're creating some additional stress that gets magnified by heat cycles.

Hard to get it all out and still leave room for the clamp, but can make it less severe.

Does look like it could have been trimmed 1/2 inch or so at the water pump end.
I don't know if that would make any difference in the splitting issue though.
I have found that O'reillys may not have the more expensive Gates on the store shelf but can get it overnight.
I wont buy another hose from Advance after my lower radiator hose fiasco.

...and ever since I got one of these, I have grown to LOVE the factory spring clamps and HATE the aftermarket screw clamps.

Attachments

• hose-clamp-pliers.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 135
IMHO it's a sorry-*** design. Had problems with them back in the day. I had a piece of copper bent and flared(?) to replace bend in hose. It takes four clamps (two on each end of the bend) but unless you're running Draino in the cooling system, it solves the problem.

FWIW: I got the idea from a friend's Oldsmobiles. The 67 didn't have the metal bend, hose failed. The 74 had the metal bend, no failures, even though the engine ran a hotter thermostat.

-
Back