C body 8 3/4

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
Hey FABO, today while I was in the junkyard I happened to spot an 8 3/4 under a late 60s fury 3. I pulled it out and bought if for what I think is a fair price. My question is; is it worth shortening it to fit into my 72 dart and what does it entail? Or is it more beneficial to buy an A body 8 3/4? I plan on keeping the large bolt pattern on the rear since I will be swapping my Front disc brake setup from my 74 dart which has the large bolt pattern to the 72 dart. Thanks FABO!!

I bought one to shorten myself. I have seen A body housings for around $250 bare and $500 + minus a center. I'll have less than that into mine,another $350 for axles and use my 11x2.5 C body brakes

I bought one to shorten myself. I have seen A body housings for around $250 bare and $500 + minus a center. I'll have less than that into mine,another $350 for axles and use my 11x2.5 C body brakes
I bought this full c body 8 3/4 with everything for $70. So I'd probably be better off shortening it?

chop, weld, cut and respline. BBP in an A, there you go.

The precision of the narrowing job is a little less critical when you get (new) axles with Green bearings.

I also have a 1970 A-body 8-3/4 SBP 3:23 open available for $600 if you wanted to go that route. It also has all new brakes and wheel cylinders so it's ready to go.

Last edited:
I also have a 1970 A-body 8-3/4 SBP 3:23 open available for $600 if you wanted to go that route. It also has all new brakes and wheel cylinders so it's ready to go.
That's a good deal on a drop in. wish you were closer

I am in rockwell nc(salisbury) doing narrowing,gear sets etc. narrow housing is $125. but must warn about resplined axles. have seen/thrown away many that are twisted in mild street use. any car with good traction will over time twist them off. any car that can run a 12 sec 1/4 would not be good idea, slower than that. I handle the same axles as doctor diff, bearings etc. can make anything that you could imagine, been doing it for 35+ years pm for phone number if interested or questions.paul

I am in rockwell nc(salisbury) doing narrowing,gear sets etc. narrow housing is $125. but must warn about resplined axles. have seen/thrown away many that are twisted in mild street use. any car with good traction will over time twist them off. any car that can run a 12 sec 1/4 would not be good idea, slower than that. I handle the same axles as doctor diff, bearings etc. can make anything that you could imagine, been doing it for 35+ years pm for phone number if interested or questions.paul

That's good to know.

Thanks for the info!

You can even have those C axles shortened and redlined.
Can't do that with B body axles

X2. If your going to narrow it significantly and mount your springs inside the frame rails, the C body rear is the one you want. Reason being is the axles have enough meat on them all the way up the shaft to be able to respline even a heavily shortened axle. Good score for that money!!

X2. If your going to narrow it significantly and mount your springs inside the frame rails, the C body rear is the one you want. Reason being is the axles have enough meat on them all the way up the shaft to be able to respline even a heavily shortened axle. Good score for that money!!

I'm going to shorten the housing to factory A body lengths, then use factory length A body axles.

-
Back