Calling all Aussie members-who are you!

-
If you buy a car with left hand drive in oz do you have to by law convert it to right hand drive or is there a.cutoff year say when the car reaches 30 years old you dont have to modify it in this way. I imagine its a lot of work to convert a u.s. Spec muscle car to right hand drive and make it look like it was built that way.

Please tell me im curious
Matt

Mad max Falcon XB GT fan in the states

If you buy a car with left hand drive in oz do you have to by law convert it to right hand drive or is there a.cutoff year say when the car reaches 30 years old you dont have to modify it in this way. I imagine its a lot of work to convert a u.s. Spec muscle car to right hand drive and make it look like it was built that way.

Please tell me im curious
Matt

Mad max Falcon XB GT fan in the states

Hi Matt, If it is 30 years or older then it can stay left hook but the laws are changing making it harder and harder to do anything. I am sure our idiot government wants all to drive a Prius....:pain10: :sad2: :sad:

Yep it is a lot of work here is my Challenger R/T that I converted to RHD in '99
IMG_66461.jpg

IMG_6545.jpg

and my 67 Barracuda Fastback formula S. It was converted to RHD when it was new
IMG_8058.jpg

Here are a few of my other cars

my Valiant Charger R/T lookalike with BB powered that I sold a few weeks back minus the running gear

00004739_f440charger_zpsf560e3f3.jpg

My genuine Charger R/T E38 Bigtank with hemi sixpack
IMG_7970_zps95d5594e.jpg

IMG_7963_zps855d7e07.jpg

IMG_7659_zps9a9064c0.jpg

And here is my VH E37 770 Charger hemi sixpack , one of only 2 built in Spring Gold metallic/tan trim that I restored a few years back

e37770.jpg

IMG_6559.jpg

IMG_6532.jpg

I had seen one RHD 2nd gen barracuda that was factory built that way for south Africa export. It was on this site. Under the hood pix of converted chally are cool but whats the dash panel look like, i imagine this is the hardest part of the conversion. Can i see ome dash panel pix of your RHD converted cars?

I think thats cool. You dont have to convert this stuff to LHD bringing it into the states. Id love to have a full on madmax interceptor falcon or an E49 hemi sixpack charger. Do y'all have the new ford mustangs, camaros, and new dodge challengers available to buy down under? It would be cool to have one of these RHD in the states.

Btw used to work with a new zealander here in west texas. His name was matt, but we nicknamed him mate lol. He eventually went to work on power generation windmills.

Matt.

Obviously the early 60s valiant V-100 has attained a cult like status in oz. You dont ever see these in the states anymore. I think i saw a 62 dodge lancer in salvage out here in west texas. Our version of the V100. Car was complete, nothing removed from it except for the wheels , battery, carb, and radiator. Its been shredded now. These are kinda unique looking, but never seemed to catch on in the states.

I had seen one RHD 2nd gen barracuda that was factory built that way for south Africa export. It was on this site. Under the hood pix of converted chally are cool but whats the dash panel look like, i imagine this is the hardest part of the conversion. Can i see ome dash panel pix of your RHD converted cars?

Here is a pic of the Challenger dash. It really is a lot of work basically the dash frame is cut up then reassembled like a jigsaw in right hand drive

IMG_6791.jpg

Matt.

There are a few new RHD Camaros Mustangs and Challengers around but they are pretty expensive here. Cost to convert them is 5ok plus and they are asking over 120k for the finished cars

That is too cool man. Looks factory done. Looks like a lot of work to make it factory. It sucks you couldent reverse the console. Looks like you had to cut the raised lip off around the shifter so you could use it from the right seat. My big brother had a 73.dodge charger with the same console. Looks really good. I bet the average looker down under wouldent ever be able to tell.

I have a 2007 mustang gt and the way the instrument panel is, it wouldent be too hard to swap everything over in the instrument panel and it look factory done. The Camaro and new challenger would prob be harder. Mustang panel looks as if it was designed to be left or right hand drive.

For a non mopar its pretty quick. 281 cubic inch (4.6L) 3 valve twin cam V8, 5 speed, and 3.55 rear cogs. She'll get to 125 MPH at the top of 4th gear. Dont need the tickets so i dont run her that hard. Only 8,125 miles on the ticker. First mod was a cold air intake, and a set of flowmaster mufflers. prob 330 HP. All cubic technology, 8 coils, no distributer, all that jass, but its cool lookin. Lol. I dont even play the radio when i drive it. Engine makes its own music.

You have lots of nice mopars. I have mopar ford, and GM. I want the whole hotwheels collection. looks like you have the whole hotwheels collection. Ever think of getting a 73 falcon XB GT coupe and mad maxing it out. I think those are so freakin hot. Look at my avatar, and my project pix. This is how rough the oldies are getting even out here in the states. Can you believe thats a 67 bcuda. Rough as a cob.
Matt

1971 VH Valiant Charger 770.

Was 360/727/9"

Had her since I was 17. :D

Attachments

• 1971_Chrysler_Charger4.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 574
  • 424233_3183118689390_1008395142_3107323_1465918030_n.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 562
  • yeah it is.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 541
New member here,

Dan, 27 from the Gold Coast.

VE regal in the build.

318/390, 904, 9" combo
Blow through 75mm turbo
Home built

Looking to run in street275 class and dip into the 9's street driven

A good friend of mine a retired Aussie firefighter use to come to the states in the 90's looking for 65-67 mustangs in particular. He would load up containers of them, ship them back and make a fortune on them. The real cost was swapping to RHD. On my bucket list to visit there. Love the cars and the people.

New member here,

Dan, 27 from the Gold Coast.

VE regal in the build.

318/390, 904, 9" combo
Blow through 75mm turbo
Home built

Looking to run in street275 class and dip into the 9's street driven

Welcome Wardy

You will find all these guys & gals to be freindly & helpful.

Enjoy

Hi guys I live in Scarborough just north of Brisbane.

1958 Imperial Crown Coupe ( Only Hemi Car I can afford)
1973 Duster 318 soon to be 408 currently putting all the interior back in. This car was bought from an A body member. Al from Als Rapid Transit.

I have owned lots of mopars over the years but these are my 2 current rides.

Attachments

• IMG_4821.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 444
Hey hey

Was living in Australia. My dad's from Albany but has lived in South Africa for 40yrs so I have the passport. Bought my VH Charger at Duntroon in '03, brought it back to Cape Town in '04 then shipped it back to OZ in '07 then back home to Cape Town in '10.

Sadly, living in Bondi rusted out the rear window and I had to sell the entire running gear to pay off the shipping. It's a long *** project but hopefully a Hemi Denny k and 4 link in the years to come with a 360 and a-833

Body is on blocks in a shed on the farm now just outside of Cape Town :(

No one knows this car over here, they're all into slant 6's and 383's

Attachments

• Charger 1.2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 405
  • Charger 3.1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 432
  • Charger 5.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 399
Good to see a few Aussie members getting amongst it!

Bit of a change from last post for me, now running a 347ci new gen hemi, billet 80mm precision turbo and powerglide..

Will have my own workshop setup serving the Gold Coast and Northern nsw areas soon.. If any fellow mopar guys and girls are after work done in the area let me know!

I didn't know this post existed!

Guess I should say Hi to all, Steven From Melbourne in Victoria.

My car is a 71' Valiant Hardtop. Was 245 Hemi 6 and column 3 speed.

Its is currently under going a full build up, very slowly I might add.

It will be a 408 stroker with TKO 600 and a 8 3/4 with 3.5:1 rear gear.
The second pic is the current stage just waiting for the engineer to inspect before I have the engine built

Attachments

• cotm-sun-crcooperphotography-039-copy.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC_0306.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC_0297.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 383
Ok, well here's my contribution to this thread. Thanks to Marty for starting the thread. Btw, gidday Marty, Chris from Canberra with the red Charger......

This was my Charger before i pulled it off the road for its over ambitious (and mega $$$) rebuild.
http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/vallo440/media/phonepics201_zpsaf0d40b9.jpg.html

This is what it looked like at the beginning of this year:
http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/vallo440/media/2013-06-13212828_zps8a5ae437.jpg.html

Going pretty insane with this build, single turbo EFI 440BB, 727TF with Gear Vendors, Dana60, four link rear, coilover front end, full custom chassis, the list is endless.

This is my tow car: 78 CM Regal all factory except for the wheels. 318 auto, pwr steer, air con. Lovely car to drive.
http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/vallo440/media/phonepics004_zps0d336c84.jpg.html

This is my daily: 2008 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee, Vortech supercharger, SHR Viking trans, wavetrac rear, coilovers. Currently has 540hp at the rear wheels (front driveshaft disconnected for dyno purposes). Love this car and it goes like the clappers.
http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/vallo440/media/2012-11-11173204_zpsb49711c9.jpg.html

Cheers, Chris.

I will add to the list. Normally I'm based in Brissy at the moment I in Canberra.
The Duster was purchased off a FABO memeber about 2 years ago, currently getting a birth day. It has stroker, full manual reverse patten 727 & 8 3/4 with 3.55.
Picture005.jpg

Picture004.jpg

ebay054.jpg

The Charger is a 318 4 speed with A/C & is 1 of 4 in this color, it was found sitting in a shed were it had been stored for 18 years.

IMG_7954.jpg

IMG_7943.jpg

IMG_7961-3.jpg

IMG_7947.jpg
The charger is very interesting to me. It looks like its using a York A/C compressor, and the air cleaner lid says electronic lean burn. Did chrysler saddle y'all with electronic lean burn ignitions too? I used to dewire those and throw the primitive computer, distributor, and electric sensor carb in the trash can, and wire in a regular electronic ignition with vac advance distributor, and carb, That lean burn system was nothing but problems.

Yep we had ELB from late 77 to the collapse and sell off to mrsquishi in late 79-80 the ELB was great at what it did for economy and ease of starting when working properly but have just 1 sensor go out it it was all over as far as economy went most people here went for a standard chrysler dizzy and a holley

G'day All,
Pic of my genuine 71 H code 4 speed 340 plum crazy Demon. For those in Aus buy last months edition of Just Cars to find out more about my car, (too lazy to type it here). I live in Wodonga where the "Chryslers on the Murray" will be held this month. I'm a member of the "Albury/Wodonga Chrysler Car Club". Come & say, look for our club shirts & ask for Glenn. See ya there & remember, "Mopar - you're either with us or behind us".
Cheers,
Glenn.

unspecified.jpg

Ok, well here's my contribution to this thread. Thanks to Marty for starting the thread. Btw, gidday Marty, Chris from Canberra with the red Charger......

This was my Charger before i pulled it off the road for its over ambitious (and mega $$$) rebuild.
phonepics201_zpsaf0d40b9.jpg

This is what it looked like at the beginning of this year:
2013-06-13212828_zps8a5ae437.jpg

Going pretty insane with this build, single turbo EFI 440BB, 727TF with Gear Vendors, Dana60, four link rear, coilover front end, full custom chassis, the list is endless.

This is my tow car: 78 CM Regal all factory except for the wheels. 318 auto, pwr steer, air con. Lovely car to drive.
phonepics004_zps0d336c84.jpg

This is my daily: 2008 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee, Vortech supercharger, SHR Viking trans, wavetrac rear, coilovers. Currently has 540hp at the rear wheels (front driveshaft disconnected for dyno purposes). Love this car and it goes like the clappers.
2012-11-11173204_zpsb49711c9.jpg

Cheers, Chris.
Being i'm not from Oz i have some questions. I like your CM Regal. Is that based on an A body chassis? If so CryCo down under did a great job with the proportions on the wagon body. It looks a lot like a scaled down american 73 Polara wagon. I would love to have one of those out here in the US to drive. Smaller than a C body, same grest looks. Also what cars in Australia got the 440 V8 from the factory? I always hear about the 245 hemi six packs and LA 318-360 engines. I never realized y'all got big block power down there.

We did not get any 440 V8 engines in any of our vehicles. We only got small blocks however if you bought a Dodge Phoenix which was basically a Plymouth Fury rebadged you could get big block but only as large as 383.

-
Back