cam advice for a 360

-

christineman

Reaction score
ive got a 360 with 9.5 comp, 202/160 j heads, factory intake with the thermoquad, and need a street cam. can someone give me a comp cam part number that will make a nice cam for me? I dont mind a laboring idle at all, but nothing that is going to shake the car... thanks

christineman

268h....thats a "high energy" grind 268... [email protected] lift....110lsa.its an older design that works decent.not sure how it compares to their "extreme energy" line ,ive never used them but hear good things about them.

Same answer from me you got in the other threads you started.

XE268H or similar comp 20-223-3

Tire size and gear ratio please. Also, is your converter stock?
What is tye intended purpose of the car?

This is a great cam for a 360 due to the heads flowing on average most of their air at .450 lift.

YOU LOOSE ABOUT .030 THOUSANDS LIFT FROM A STOCK VALVE TRAIN.
.030 THOUSANDS - .470 LIFT IS .450 LIFT.

224 DURATION WILL WORK WITH TALL AND SHORT GEARS.

COMP Cams CL20-214-4 - COMP Cams Magnum Hydraulic Cam and Lifter Kits

large image Image is a representation of this part. Actual part may vary.

• $195.95

• + Wish List
  • + compare

• Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 270/270, Lift .470/.470, Mopar, Small Block, Kit
  • sys_02_mini_info_blue.gif
  • Estimated Ship Date: 6/17/2010
  • Email this page

Brand
COMP CamsManufacturer's Part Number
CL20-214-4Part Type
Camshaft and Lifter KitsProduct Line
COMP Cams Magnum Hydraulic Cam and Lifter KitsSummit Racing Part Number
CCA-CL20-214-4

Cam Style
Hydraulic flat tappetBasic Operating RPM Range
1,800-5,800Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift
224Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift
224Duration at 050 inch Lift
224 int./224 exh.Advertised Intake Duration
270Advertised Exhaust Duration
270Advertised Duration
270 int./270 exh.Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.470 in.Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.470 in.Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.470 int./0.470 exh. liftLobe Separation (degrees)
110Intake Valve Lash
0.000 in.Exhaust Valve Lash
0.000 in.Grind Number
270HComputer-Controlled Compatible
NoLifters Included
YesLifter Style
Hydraulic flat tappetValve Springs Included
NoRetainers Included
NoLocks Included
NoValve Stem Seals Included
NoTiming Chain and Gears Included
NoAssembly Lubricant Included
YesPushrods Included
NoRocker Arms Included
NoGaskets Included
NoQuantity
Sold as a kit.
Fire up your high performance vehicle with Magnum power!

Designed for hot street/strip cars, these COMP Cams Magnum series cam and lifter kits require a higher compression ratio, rear-end gear ratio, and stall torque converter than stock. With a very aggressive profile, these cam and lifter kits provide maximum top-end performance for your high performance car.
Warranty

Comp cams says that an adjustable valve train is required and i don't know why you would need it for such a small cam.
My 360 commando crate motor had the .474 cam in it and it did not have the guides cut down.
The valve spring was a single high performance with a damper.
The valve seals were also stock.
So with that being said, this cam is a little smaller with .470 lift and sould work great.
I have heard of comp cams making the bass circle smaller on some cams but i can't see why they would have with this one.
When a base circle is smaller then stock you would need a adjustable rock or longer push rods.
You could call comp and ask them at what point do they make the base circle smaller on their camshafts or if they do at all.
You will make the best power at that lift for a 360 head.
.450 lift is better for a 318 head on average due to them flowing better at .420 lift.
The comp 268 will work great and this .470 will work great also.
You do have 202 valves so i thought you could use a little more lift.
The .470 has a little more duration and will give you more power.
GOOD LUCK :cya:

This is a great cam for a 360 due to the heads flowing on average most of their air at .450 lift.

YOU LOOSE ABOUT .030 THOUSANDS LIFT FROM A STOCK VALVE TRAIN.
.030 THOUSANDS - .470 LIFT IS .450 LIFT.

And you have measure such losse's before?

ive got a 360 with 9.5 comp, 202/160 j heads, factory intake with the thermoquad, and need a street cam. can someone give me a comp cam part number that will make a nice cam for me? I dont mind a laboring idle at all, but nothing that is going to shake the car... thanks

christineman

If you don't mind a 1000rpm idle, have that 268 cam cut on a 108lca...it will pick it up in performance noticably!
Brian

Hey rumble,
I have measured a cams lift at the valve and on average see a loss of .015 to .020 thousands.
So to make sure you get where you want to be for lift ,you make it .030, and you know your good to go.
I have friends that run in stock and super stock and they say you loose anywhere from .030 ti .040 thousands.
It really depends on the lifters to.
That"s why those guys spend $800 to over a $1000 on a set of lifters so they don't loose any lift,also the most important pert is the durability.
It's really amazing how those super stock guys make so much power.
The cam they use might only have .450 lift but it's 278 @ 50.
It's also amazing at the power the cams where talking about make for power in a street car.

Hey rumble,
I have measured a cams lift at the valve and on average see a loss of .015 to .020 thousands.
With a Hyd. cam? At which where was the lifter set at when measured?

It's really amazing how those super stock guys make so much power.
The cam they use might only have .450 lift but it's 278 @ 50.
It's also amazing at the power the cams where talking about make for power in a street car.

Yes, indeed for the S/S guys. Street cams do well for what they are.

super stockers are allowed any lift and run roller cams......it is the stockers that are limited to stock valve lift...

I use a set of solid lifters and adjustable rocker arms when checking a cam that has been installed into a engine already.
I use a dial indicator set on the valve reatainer taking care to keep the dial indicator as parralel as possible to the valve.
I zero out the slack in the valve train first by tightening the rocker so that the dial indicator just starts to move and then set the dial indicator to zero.
The cam is set on the base circle to start ,and then i rotate the engine to get the max lift reading.

When i checked my new 318 that has a .474 mopar cam in it,i could only get a maximum reading of .465 lift.
You never really see your max lift with a camshaft due to the other parts that are in the valve train taking a little away here and there.
One of the biggest looses is due to lifter bleed down at high rpm.

Here is some info from ray bartons sight that will help you understand where i am coming from a little better.
:read2: LINE NUMBER 2.

Schubeck Lifters
Flat Solid & Hydraulic Lifters
Proprietary steel composite inserts pressed into both solid and hydraulic lifters stop wear and reduce friction. Non Ceramic. No breakage worries
After putting the cam wear problem behind us, you get to enjoy two additional benefits with Schubeck “Zero Lash” Hydraulic lifter technology:
1. An RPM increase, because they will not pump-up. We all know that lifters pump up, causing the valves to hang open, which in turn, puts a lid on the engine's rev ability. The Rev limit usually starts around 6,000 RPM.
Schubeck “Zero Lash” Hydraulic drag racing lifters are a drop-in prevention for the pump-up problem because Zero Lash means no preloading of the hydraulic travel. Preloading sets the stage for lifters to pump up, which is like an RPM governor. You set the them as you would a solid lifter, but as close to "0" lash as you can get with a tight a tight .002 feeler gage. The engines' rpm limit will be higher, just like having solid lifters.
2. A power increase, because they will not leak down. Valves lose lift when leakdown occurs. Loss of power from "Leak down” occurs when the valves lose lift because the lifters fail to support the open valve under the spring pressure. This is caused by oil bleeding past the hydraulic piston in the lifter. When multiplied by the rocker arm ratio, as much as .100 or more in valve lift can be lost. You never know when it occurs or how bad you may have this power robbing engine cancer, but we do know how it can be prevented. Schubeck "Zero Lash Technology lifters restrict plunger travel, limiting the leak down to between .012-.015; if it occurs at all.​
schubeck_lift.jpg

christineman,

I vote for the Comp XE268H cam. I have one in my 360 and it pulls strong from 1500 rpm to past 6000 rpm and idles almost like a stocker. I drive my cuda daily between March and the first time they salt the roads in the fall ~ 7500 miles.

This cam is a modern fast ramp design that gives you more duration at 0.050" (224/230) and more lift .477/.480 than an older design 268 cam. You get the benifit of the additional duration at 0.050 while keeping the good low end manners of a smaller (268/280) advertised duration.

The xe268 is a good cam also because it has a little more lift and duration.
At some point you have to get your valve guides cut down and use a positive valve seal when going to higher lift cams.

We have not heard from you on what gears are in your car and what converter your running and it's stall speed???????????

T67, thanks for the tech tip/info. I didn't think it was as much as .030. That's a crazy amount I thought, but confess I didn't know for sure it was closer to .020 or less. Which is alot IMO.

And where is this info on the OE posters gear? I'd like to know this stuff myself before recomending a cam and stuff.

super stockers are allowed any lift and run roller cams......it is the stockers that are limited to stock valve lift...

Ops! I sit corrected, thank you! Ya know, sometimes you read, and you don't read it all, but the mind assumes it did, words get dropped or added in sometimes. My bad. Good catch.

christineman,

I vote for the Comp XE268H cam. I have one in my 360 and it pulls strong from 1500 rpm to past 6000 rpm and idles almost like a stocker. I drive my cuda daily between March and the first time they salt the roads in the fall ~ 7500 miles.

This cam is a modern fast ramp design that gives you more duration at 0.050" (224/230) and more lift .477/.480 than an older design 268 cam. You get the benifit of the additional duration at 0.050 while keeping the good low end manners of a smaller (268/280) advertised duration.

I like this cam also. It covers a wide base and verity of gear on the car.
But it's not a cam that I'd call or agree with as fast ramp since it still has the same Chevy numbers on the lobes.
The XE-Hi lifts are much better and still, there smaller than the MM lobes, which are smaller than the Chrysler only lobes.

Check the catolog out closely.

-
Back